PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes

Nidge
04-01-2006, 14:43
Over the last year I've been feeling really crap with nausea, frequent trips to the toilet, thrush, blurred vision, a thirst to kill for and feeling tired. Just before Christmas I went to the doctors for all the tests because he thought I was diabetic the test came back all clear. Over Christmas I've been right off it, I've been going dizzy plus all of the above. Today I went to the doctors again because it's starting to worry me now with my eyesight going blurred. The nurse did all the tests again today, water sample blood pressure and all that, she said your showing all the signs of a diabetic but everything is coming back ok, she also said that I'm a fit person but something is wrong. On Saturday I have to go for more blood tests so, I can't have anything to eat from 10pm on Friday night till I have the tests on Saturday morning, these are the same tests I had just before Christmas that came back all clear.

This is getting very worrying for me. Anyone else had the same problems?

Stuartbe
04-01-2006, 14:49
TBH m8... I would not post for advice on something as important as this.

Get a second opinion if you are woried, Ask for more test's to be done. There could be any number of problems causing this.

By best wishes to you and I hope you feel better soon.

Russ
04-01-2006, 14:51
Get in touch with Salu - he da man when it comes to thing like this. I've chatted to him in the past about my mother's diabetes and he knows his stuff. He's not a doctor but his background can help.

Nidge
04-01-2006, 14:55
Get in touch with Salu - he da man when it comes to thing like this. I've chatted to him in the past about my mother's diabetes and he knows his stuff. He's not a doctor but his background can help.

Cheers Russ can you point me in the right direction?

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Get a second opinion if you are woried, Ask for more test's to be done. There could be any number of problems causing this.

I thought this would be the place for advice Stu? People on here have a plethora of information ready to give other members in times of need.

Russ
04-01-2006, 14:56
Cheers Russ can you point me in the right direction?

Sure thing - he's this guy (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/member.php?u=328) :D

Stuartbe
04-01-2006, 14:59
I thought this would be the place for advice Stu? People on here have a plethora of information ready to give other members in times of need.

No doubt about that m8 and I know that Salu knows his stuff, Its just that diagnosing something like this based on a text conversation could be risky. Something could be misread or misunderstood.

Just saying that its best to see someone in the flesh as it were :)

Nugget
04-01-2006, 15:02
No doubt about that m8 and I know that Salu knows his stuff, Its just that diagnosing something like this based on a text conversation could be risky. Something could be misread or misunderstood.

Just saying that its best to see someone in the flesh as it were :)

TBH, Salu will probably tell you the same thing. Having said that, he does know what he's talking about, so may be able to point you in the right direction, but past experience shows that he's more inclined not to 'diagnose' on here :)

marky
04-01-2006, 15:10
I would have a read of the link, and then go and ask for full bloods to be done. failing that go to another doctor.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/medical_notes/253464.stm

Dont take any chances, look after yourself at all costs.

Stuart
04-01-2006, 15:14

That's true. However, you should bear in mind that you don't know for sure how much medical experience any of us have, and it's entirely possible you will discribe symptoms for something, and a reader will think you mean something else entirely.

By all means ask for advice, but bear in mind what I say above, and seek medical attention as well ( a second opinion).

Chrysalis
05-01-2006, 11:42
I have diabetes symptons and have been unhealthy for about 2 years now, I have had 2 diabetes tests in that time and both came back clear but am unconvinced, I wonder if the tests are accurate enough since I am still undiagnosed and having all sorts of tests done, of course with 3 month gaps in between each one :(

Ramrod
05-01-2006, 12:22
Over the last year I've been feeling really crap with nausea, frequent trips to the toilet, thrush, blurred vision, a thirst to kill for and feeling tired.Certainly sounds like diabetes...presumably the trips to the toilet are for a wee?

Is the nausea accompanied by dizzyness?......have you lost weight?

Maggy
05-01-2006, 12:28
Over the last year I've been feeling really crap with nausea, frequent trips to the toilet, thrush, blurred vision, a thirst to kill for and feeling tired. Just before Christmas I went to the doctors for all the tests because he thought I was diabetic the test came back all clear. Over Christmas I've been right off it, I've been going dizzy plus all of the above. Today I went to the doctors again because it's starting to worry me now with my eyesight going blurred. The nurse did all the tests again today, water sample blood pressure and all that, she said your showing all the signs of a diabetic but everything is coming back ok, she also said that I'm a fit person but something is wrong. On Saturday I have to go for more blood tests so, I can't have anything to eat from 10pm on Friday night till I have the tests on Saturday morning, these are the same tests I had just before Christmas that came back all clear.

This is getting very worrying for me. Anyone else had the same problems?

Keep going to a doctor.My sister had all those symptoms for years but the doctor just didn't pick up on it.Guess what? She changed doctors and was very soon diagnosed with diabetes.If you feel something is wrong don't be put off.It's your health and you need to get sorted out whatever the cause..Just keep plugging away until your doctor get's bored with you. :tu:

Taf
05-01-2006, 12:53
Living with an insulin-dependant diabetic as I do, I can assure you that the BM tests (drop of blood on a detector strip) are accurate by visual reading and moreso when a calibrated machine is used to read them.

Your blood sugar levels will rise and fall dependant on diet and exercise, but generally speaking I understand that an unmedicated diabetic will almost always show excessive sugar levels on a BM test (Hyperglycaemic) as opposed to the over-medicated diabetic who will show low levels (hypoglycaemic).

Excessive alcohol consumption will cause a sudden change in blood sugar levels giving many of the typical uncontrolled-diabetic symptoms you describe.

Not that I am assuming you are a big drinker!

Some chemists will do a free blood sugar test (it takes a minute or two), but I would tend to believe your doctor.

Russ
05-01-2006, 12:56
Living with an insulin-dependant diabetic as I do, I can assure you that the BM tests (drop of blood on a detector strip) are accurate by visual reading and moreso when a calibrated machine is used to read them.

My mother, being diabetic, has one of those gadgets and tried it out on me. Apparently the 'normal' range is between 4 and 7 so I was slightly concerned that mine was 7.5, however about 2 hours previously I'd had a Mars bar which was the likely cause.

Ramrod
05-01-2006, 12:57
Nidge......does your thirst/need to wee wake you at night?
Has your GP considered the possibility of a posterior pituitary tumour causing diabetes insipidus?

Russ
05-01-2006, 12:58
Has your GP considered the possibility of a posterior pituitary tumour causing diabetes insipidus?

Rammy, please don't use Klingon in threads such as these.

Nidge
05-01-2006, 15:56
Nidge......does your thirst/need to wee wake you at night?

Yes Rammy I go to the toilet 5 times during the night and every time I wake I've got a full bladder. My last drink is @ 8pm which is water or lemonade, I do not drink alcohol.

Ramrod
05-01-2006, 16:17
Any headaches, weight loss or anything else (aches pains etc....)

Nidge
05-01-2006, 16:31
Any headaches, weight loss or anything else (aches pains etc....)

Aching all over, blurred vision and yes a bit of weight loss.

MadGamer
05-01-2006, 16:38
Well speaking as a diabetic (Type 2) it certinally sounds like you may have diabeties, as i had some of the symptoms you describe.

Nidge
05-01-2006, 16:39
Well speaking as a diabetic (Type 2) it certinally sounds like you may have diabeties, as i had some of the symptoms you describe.

Cheers mate thanks for the advice.

dilli-theclaw
05-01-2006, 16:47
Well presuming that youre fasting blood tests come back all clear again and you've had another test (from a chemist or a relative) and that shows no discrepancys then I'd be very confused about what's going on as well.

I'd almost be tempted to turn up at casualty if any of these symptoms get's very severe and see if they can so some tests at THAT point.

It does sound very diabetes like - but on the other hand it's very odd that if it is the dr hasn't picked it up before now.

If you need them (although they are not as good as blood testing ones) I can post you some 'wee on a stick' testing strips. They go brown if you have sugar in your urine.

I use a blood testing kit myself, but I still have some of the other ones if you want.

Dilli.

Damien
05-01-2006, 16:54
Go to a free blood testing a a chemist as suggested. I always thought diabetites was easy to detect. If the chemist also shows no signs then go to another doctor and get his opinion.

Nidge
05-01-2006, 16:54
Well presuming that youre fasting blood tests come back all clear again and you've had another test (from a chemist or a relative) and that shows no discrepancys then I'd be very confused about what's going on as well.

I'd almost be tempted to turn up at casualty if any of these symptoms get's very severe and see if they can so some tests at THAT point.

It does sound very diabetes like - but on the other hand it's very odd that if it is the dr hasn't picked it up before now.

If you need them (although they are not as good as blood testing ones) I can post you some 'wee on a stick' testing strips. They go brown if you have sugar in your urine.

I use a blood testing kit myself, but I still have some of the other ones if you want.

Dilli.

I've had 3 fasting blood tests over the last 6 moths the most recent was December and all of them have come back clear. Yesterday when I went to the doctors I did a urine sample and that was clear.

Damien
05-01-2006, 17:00
Diet/Stress? They both can be amazingly powerful in making you feel unwell?

Maybe you need to see another doctor, go to a Hospital

Ramrod
05-01-2006, 17:03
I'd almost be tempted to turn up at casualty if any of these symptoms get's very severe and see if they can so some tests at THAT point.:tu: Just take a good book and some sandwiches......

It does sound very diabetes like - but on the other hand it's very odd that if it is the dr hasn't picked it up before now.If it's diabetes insipidus then I'm not sure that standard tests would show it.....

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

How many litres of fluid are you drinking a day, roughly?

Stuart
05-01-2006, 17:04
It seems that diabetes testing isn't that exact a science. My cousin was diagnosed as diabetic years ago, and has been dutifully monitoring his diet since then. When he recently went for a medical checkup (not sure if he had to, or just thought it wise), the doctor told him he wasn't, and probably hadn't ever been diabetic.

dilli-theclaw
05-01-2006, 17:09
If it's diabetes insipidus then I'm not sure that standard tests would show it.....Probably not actually... HHHmmm

I think I'll re-iterate my point about going to the hospital. Whatever it is can't go on, and if, for whatever reason, the dr isn't able to sort it then I'd be going to the next level.

Paul
05-01-2006, 17:15
They are clasic diabetes symptoms - if you really want you can buy your own blood tester at a chemist with a load of test strips - test yourself after you have eaten as well as before a meal - you should always be in the 4 to 7 range.

Ramrod
05-01-2006, 17:20
Probably not actually... HHHmmm

I think I'll re-iterate my point about going to the hospital. Whatever it is can't go on, and if, for whatever reason, the dr isn't able to sort it then I'd be going to the next level.Definitely!

---------- Post added at 17:20 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

They are clasic diabetes symptoms I'd agree, but I can't see how the GP could feck up 3 fasting blood tests! :disturbd:

Nidge
05-01-2006, 17:26
How many litres of fluid are you drinking a day, roughly?

I'm doing at least 7 litres a day no problem sometimes more, I've just drunk half a bottle of lemonade because I was that thirsty. It feels like I've been out on the beer.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Diet/Stress? They both can be amazingly powerful in making you feel unwell?

Maybe you need to see another doctor, go to a Hospital

The doctor said he's going to get to the bottom of it, it might take time but I'm not sure how long I can hang on for it's starting to do my head in, I'm fit and healthy thats the worrying thing about it.

Ramrod
05-01-2006, 17:37
I'm doing at least 7 litres a day no problem sometimes more, I've just drunk half a bottle of lemonade because I was that thirsty. It feels like I've been out on the beer.Crikey......get the posterior pituitary idea of mine ruled out asap :disturbd:

Has the GP had a look in your eyes?

iain_herts
05-01-2006, 17:38
hi Nidge i might have a blood metre here if u wish to borrow it all u would have to do is goto the chemist and get some strips for it. as my dad was a dibetic and now it laying in a draw somewhere.
let me know and i will sort it out for you.

dad only had it a year befor he passed away :(

iain

Nidge
05-01-2006, 18:00
Has the GP had a look in your eyes?

No he's done nothing like that..

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

hi Nidge i might have a blood metre here if u wish to borrow it all u would have to do is goto the chemist and get some strips for it. as my dad was a dibetic and now it laying in a draw somewhere.
let me know and i will sort it out for you.

dad only had it a year befor he passed away :(

iain

Please mate if you don't mind.

Ramrod
05-01-2006, 18:08
No he's done nothing like that..Ask an optitian to have a quick look in them to check for something called papilledema--you can sometimes see this in the eyes if the patient has raised intracranial pressure (due to something like a pituitary tumour)

iain_herts
05-01-2006, 18:14
ok will have a lil look and post back

iain

Nidge
05-01-2006, 18:16
Ask an optitian to have a quick look in them to check for something called papilledema--you can sometimes see this in the eyes if the patient has raised intracranial pressure (due to something like a pituitary tumour)

Ok mate I'll make an appointment in the morning, I need new glasses anyway.

Taf
05-01-2006, 18:23
Loads of info on the Diabetes site http://www.diabetes.co.uk/

And symptoms on http://www.diabetes.co.uk/newly-diagnosed.html (but hypochondriacs had better not look).

There are more and more diabetics in the UK, so perhaps a bit more Public Information needs to be spread about?

MANY diabetics never get diagnosed.... and suffer the consequences.....

Salu
05-01-2006, 18:34
All the advice is done in kindness I'm sure but the best advice is to not worry and wait for the Dr who he is already seeing Nidge to arrive at his diagnosis.

If it was "simple" diabetes it would have already been diagnosed at this stage. There is a need for further tests.

Talk of tumours and papillodema is unhelpful.

budwieser
05-01-2006, 18:47
All the advice is done in kindness I'm sure but the best advice is to not worry and wait for the Dr who he is already seeing Nidge to arrive at his diagnosis.

If it was "simple" diabetes it would have already been diagnosed at this stage. There is a need for further tests.

Talk of tumours and papillodema is unhelpful.

Wait for Dr Who!??:)

Just a little bit of Humour Nidge. I really hope things turn out ok for you Mate. I know, I`ve been there and the worry can drive you crazy.

Ramrod
05-01-2006, 19:18
All the advice is done in kindness I'm sure but the best advice is to not worry and wait for the Dr who he is already seeing Nidge to arrive at his diagnosis. I would agree except for the fact that Nidge has had this for a year without a diagnosis....someone needs to pull their finger out.

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

Talk of tumours and papillodema is unhelpful.I have already stressed to Nidge that this is a very rare, worst-case scenario that just need to be eliminated as a possible cause of his symptoms. :)

Mags
05-01-2006, 19:20
[QUOTE=Nidge]I'm doing at least 7 litres a day no problem sometimes more, I've just drunk half a bottle of lemonade because I was that thirsty. It feels like I've been out on the beer.

---------- Post added at 17:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

If you're drinking full fat lemonade (i.e. not diet) and you have diabetic symptoms, the sugar in the lemonade will not help at all. When my wife was diagnosed with diabeties 20 years ago, she had been drinking gallons of coke and her blood sugar had gone sky high, unfortunately, the amount of sugar was making her even thirstier so she was drinking more! Try switching to diet drinks or plain water and cut down on the sugary food to see if you feel any better.

Mags

Salu
05-01-2006, 19:28
I would agree except for the fact that Nidge has had this for a year without a diagnosis....someone needs to pull their finger out.

I agree that this needs sorting out but I don't agree that Cable Forum is the place. Using words like tumour will induce a background worry if it wasn't already there and potentiate a worry that already was. What is needed is scientific evidence and a medical degree before a "label" can be given. This is why he is having tests.

I think that our role on this forum can be useful to everyone in an advisory capacity around minor ailments and to answer particular questions etc, however I don't think that this is the place to diagnose especially in the absence of pathology tests etc....

MadGamer
05-01-2006, 19:34
I know how stressing it can be, believe me when i found out i was diabetic, i burst into tears.

Ramrod
05-01-2006, 19:39
I agree that this needs sorting out but I don't agree that Cable Forum is the place. Using words like tumour will induce a background worry if it wasn't already there and potentiate a worry that already was. What is needed is scientific evidence and a medical degree before a "label" can be given. This is why he is having tests.

I think that our role on this forum can be useful to everyone in an advisory capacity around minor ailments and to answer particular questions etc, however I don't think that this is the place to diagnose especially in the absence of pathology tests etc....I'm not giving a diagnosis, I'm suggesting a condition that needs to be ruled out based on the symptoms he is listing...

Damien
05-01-2006, 19:44
If i understand correctly (slightly of topic). Type 1 is something that happens while type 2 is related to a poor diet in most cases?

Ramrod
05-01-2006, 19:52
If i understand correctly (slightly of topic). Type 1 is something that happens while type 2 is related to a poor diet in most cases?Here (http://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes/under.htm) you go...

nffc
05-01-2006, 20:16
If you're drinking full fat lemonade (i.e. not diet) and you have diabetic symptoms, the sugar in the lemonade will not help at all. When my wife was diagnosed with diabeties 20 years ago, she had been drinking gallons of coke and her blood sugar had gone sky high, unfortunately, the amount of sugar was making her even thirstier so she was drinking more! Try switching to diet drinks or plain water and cut down on the sugary food to see if you feel any better.

Mags

Hmm, now I usually find that the sugar free stuff leaves an aftertaste that makes me wanna drink more.

I can detect artificial "sweeteners" in all sorts, squash, tea, etc etc, sugar does naff all. Like the other day I had a glass of lemonade, looked on the bottle for the word "diet" and couldn't find it, had one sip and it tasted minging (saccharin like) - looked on the ingredients and... :sick:

I cannot understand why people drink Pepsi Max / Diet drinks when they are able to drink the normal ones, it's the acid that is what damages the teeth anyway.

Damien
05-01-2006, 20:24
Hmm, now I usually find that the sugar free stuff leaves an aftertaste that makes me wanna drink more.

I can detect artificial "sweeteners" in all sorts, squash, tea, etc etc, sugar does naff all. Like the other day I had a glass of lemonade, looked on the bottle for the word "diet" and couldn't find it, had one sip and it tasted minging (saccharin like) - looked on the ingredients and... :sick:

I cannot understand why people drink Pepsi Max / Diet drinks when they are able to drink the normal ones, it's the acid that is what damages the teeth anyway.

I hate the diet craze for food we have. People are so lazy, they want to be fit and live healthy but all they do is take diet versions of existing products. Coke is bad for in so many ways other than the sugar but people prefere a worst tasting products to be 'healthy'.

If you want to be healthy eat better food, drink juices and water and excercise. Dont just replace you existing food for diet version of the same, its a con

Mags
05-01-2006, 22:35
I hate the diet craze for food we have. People are so lazy, they want to be fit and live healthy but all they do is take diet versions of existing products. Coke is bad for in so many ways other than the sugar but people prefere a worst tasting products to be 'healthy'.

If you want to be healthy eat better food, drink juices and water and excercise. Dont just replace you existing food for diet version of the same, its a con

I wasn't suggesting that switching to diet drinks would be healthier, just that lowering the amount of sugar intake especially from the stated 'half a bottle of lemonade' would help if any of the symptoms are related to diabeties.

Mags

Damien
05-01-2006, 22:57
I wasn't suggesting that switching to diet drinks would be healthier, just that lowering the amount of sugar intake especially from the stated 'half a bottle of lemonade' would help if any of the symptoms are related to diabeties.

Mags

Yeah, Sorry. I wasnt refering to your post. Just abotu the attiude towards so called 'healthy options' that are not healthy and are instead just to make people think they are while enjoying the same fatty, acidy foods as before.

Of course in diabeties no sugar alternatives are essential

Nidge
06-01-2006, 04:34
Wait for Dr Who!??:)

Just a little bit of Humour Nidge. I really hope things turn out ok for you Mate. I know, I`ve been there and the worry can drive you crazy.

Your not wrong there mate, I'm hanging from the rafters here with worry.

---------- Post added at 04:34 ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 ----------

If i understand correctly (slightly of topic). Type 1 is something that happens while type 2 is related to a poor diet in most cases?

The best thing about it is I don't eat any junk, my daily diet consists of chicken, lean meat, fish and plenty of protien, no alcohol. Thats not a bad diet surley?

Damien
06-01-2006, 17:52
The best thing about it is I don't eat any junk, my daily diet consists of chicken, lean meat, fish and plenty of protien, no alcohol. Thats not a bad diet surley?

I personally think you gonna be ok, hopefully the doctor will be onto the cause soon enough. It seems pretty certain is not diabeties.

Just be optermistic :)

Mags
06-01-2006, 18:03
Your not wrong there mate, I'm hanging from the rafters here with worry.

---------- Post added at 04:34 ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 ----------

No veg or fruit? that could be the problem ;)

Mags

Chrysalis
07-01-2006, 01:17
My own symptons have gone on over 2 years and I am still undiagnosed, I know exactly how nidge is feeling (maybe). So it is very tempting to go out get 2nd opinions and want to do test's yourself. I was unaware that I can buy a diabetes tester from a chemist myself so will do that. Also when I had my last blood test I was told everything is normal except my blood cells were an unusual shape, my GP freaked at first but then he said he rang someone at the hospital and they told him its nothing to worry about but something stops me been convinced as I remain ill on a undiagnosed condition which is steadily getting worse. I have tried things like using nhs direct to go in when I cant sleep and just got given paracetomal, going to casualty when my condition was very bad I was given painkillers whilst there but none to take home with me and also told to make my own way home when I could barely walk.

The nhs seems designed to handle life threatening scenarios, diagnosed cancer's and such but when it comes to undiagnosed illnesses that appear to not be immediatly life threatening they dont want to know. This is the conclusion I have come to after 2 years in this mess. I wonder if I had the cash to go private I would be healthy by now.

Nidge
07-01-2006, 06:19
No veg or fruit? that could be the problem ;)

Mags

Sorry Mags loads of fruit too:D :D :D I eat 7 portions a day.

---------- Post added at 06:19 ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 ----------

My own symptons have gone on over 2 years and I am still undiagnosed, I know exactly how nidge is feeling (maybe). So it is very tempting to go out get 2nd opinions and want to do test's yourself. I was unaware that I can buy a diabetes tester from a chemist myself so will do that. Also when I had my last blood test I was told everything is normal except my blood cells were an unusual shape, my GP freaked at first but then he said he rang someone at the hospital and they told him its nothing to worry about but something stops me been convinced as I remain ill on a undiagnosed condition which is steadily getting worse. I have tried things like using nhs direct to go in when I cant sleep and just got given paracetomal, going to casualty when my condition was very bad I was given painkillers whilst there but none to take home with me and also told to make my own way home when I could barely walk.

The nhs seems designed to handle life threatening scenarios, diagnosed cancer's and such but when it comes to undiagnosed illnesses that appear to not be immediatly life threatening they dont want to know. This is the conclusion I have come to after 2 years in this mess. I wonder if I had the cash to go private I would be healthy by now.

Whats doing me is the when the nurse told me I'm showing all the signs of a diabetic but nothing shows up.

Salu
07-01-2006, 17:00

Sorry to hear of your troubles....

The bottom line is that medicine is not easy. Sure, some things we can recognise very easily and immediately and some can be recognised easily by the general public.
There are varying stages of disease and the art of General Practice is spotting these at an early stage and balancing this with not over referring everything to secondary care (hospital). A headache can be just that or it can be a haemorrhage, a tumour, a migraine a tight neck muscle, temporal arteritis, an embolic CVA etc etc. Same presentation but different problem.

Then there are Doctor/patient relationship problems. Remember the boy who cried "wolf"? If a particular patient is in the surgery every week with every conceivable complaint a GP might make the mistake of assuming the wrong way.....sometimes to his and the patient's cost.....

There are also unknown conditions where we simply do not know what a patient is suffering with. And also very rare conditions that only a few specialists see regularly so Mr average GP may not remember back to his paediatric mucopolysaccharide disorders training and miss the signs and symptoms. That's not what the patient wants to hear but it is the reality. If you have a condition that falls into the very rare category then you may be in for a long haul. Seeking second opinions is a good thing to do in these cases.

I'd like to go on but I have to go out so I may return to the point later..

NHS Direct, btw, will only pick up the very basic of conditions and indeed the majority......

Chrysalis
08-01-2006, 09:39
Alot of it was down to the gp I had for the first 18 months of it, he retired in august and apperently had a long list of complaints against his name and when he was asked to retrain he retired early. My new gp seems much more pro active in trying to get to the bottom of this and doing things like trying to push forward hospital appointments etc. Unfortenatly I will be losing him end of jan due to him been there temporary and I will then have a new permenant gp, I just hope they are as good.

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

Out of curiousity if a patient asks for it and even pays for it would there be harm in trying diabetes treatment (side affects) to someone who possibly isnt diabetic, so say I argue the test result but insist on insulin. Then if I start feeling better it could be concluded I am diabetic but if I am not feeling better then it could be known for sure I am not diabetic then.

Damien
08-01-2006, 09:47
Out of curiousity if a patient asks for it and even pays for it would there be harm in trying diabetes treatment (side affects) to someone who possibly isnt diabetic, so say I argue the test result but insist on insulin. Then if I start feeling better it could be concluded I am diabetic but if I am not feeling better then it could be known for sure I am not diabetic then.

I think taking medication when you have tested negitive is a bad idea. It may be more effective however to follow a similer diet? Diabetes have special diets, maybe this would be safer?

marky
08-01-2006, 09:53
They only use insulin if you blood suger levels are out dont they, buy one of those testing kits from the chemist, test regulary over a week and keep a log of the results to show the doctor.
I'm sure that cant hurt.

Edit> Better still ask the doctor first ;)

Chrysalis
08-01-2006, 10:00
I think taking medication when you have tested negitive is a bad idea. It may be more effective however to follow a similer diet? Diabetes have special diets, maybe this would be safer?

Everyone I know who is diabetic and I know 3 people all need insulin and a diet isn't enough.

---------- Post added at 10:00 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

They only use insulin if you blood suger levels are out dont they, buy one of those testing kits from the chemist, test regulary over a week and keep a log of the results to show the doctor.
I'm sure that cant hurt.

Edit> Better still ask the doctor first ;)

Dont know, but for now I will simply be buying a testing kit and doign exactly what you just said.

MadGamer
08-01-2006, 10:48
Well it depends on what type you are, to what treatment you are entitled to. I think if i understand correctly type 1's have insulin, and some type 2's have metformin usually or some other form of tablet.

Damien
08-01-2006, 10:55
Type 2 can be diet controlled. A least for a while.

We are not doctors and we do not know exactly whats wrong but members of a internet forum can not recommend the use of medication that a professional deems unnessary. I think the best thing you can do is to have a healthy diet and excercise as both of these would help while causing no damage

Chrysalis
08-01-2006, 21:36
I had a lot of exercise and always had a balanced diet, the solution is more then that I am afraid.

Salu
09-01-2006, 11:35
Alot of it was down to the gp I had for the first 18 months of it, he retired in august and apperently had a long list of complaints against his name and when he was asked to retrain he retired early. My new gp seems much more pro active in trying to get to the bottom of this and doing things like trying to push forward hospital appointments etc. Unfortenatly I will be losing him end of jan due to him been there temporary and I will then have a new permenant gp, I just hope they are as good.

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

Sorry for the delay....

No, that's a bad idea, it would lower your blood sugar and send you into a coma. :Yikes:

There are different classifications of diabetes broadly collated into type 1 and type 2. Ramrod posted a link above which goes into more detail so I won't replicate. The treatment depends on how easy it is to control your blood glucose. Some respond to dieting alone, some need a biguanide drug (which decreases gluconeogenesis and increases peripheral glucose utilisation, if you are interested :)) and some need insulin.

Self diagnosis/treatment is a wrong move...and a downside to having self tests available but the advantages outweigh the negatives.

jadeybaby
06-02-2006, 21:10
hello all, my first time here! im type 1 diabetic and have been for nearly 5 years!!!

Russ
06-02-2006, 21:17
hello all, my first time here! im type 1 diabetic and have been for nearly 5 years!!!

Welcome to the group - it was very brave of you to be able to admit that in front of all of us, we'll give you as much support as we can.

We meet here each monday evening at 9pm and on wednesdays in the community hall at 7.30pm.

nffc
06-02-2006, 22:51
Welcome to the group - it was very brave of you to be able to admit that in front of all of us, we'll give you as much support as we can.

We meet here each monday evening at 9pm and on wednesdays in the community hall at 7.30pm.
:LOL: - what a random first post!

Russ
06-02-2006, 22:53
In case anyone took that the wrong way, it was (meant to be taken as) a humourous "welcome to the <enter vice here> addiction group" response that people would get when joining such an organisation for the first time...

danielf
06-02-2006, 22:57
In case anyone took that the wrong way, it was (meant to be taken as) a humourous "welcome to the <enter vice here> addiction group" response that people would get when joining such an organisation for the first time...

I think you scared him away though :)

nffc
06-02-2006, 23:08
One would have to be pretty stupid to NOT see that as satire though :D

danielf
06-02-2006, 23:11
One would have to be pretty stupid to NOT see that as satire though :D

Make it worse, why don't you? :erm: ;)

keithwalton
06-02-2006, 23:33
I'm also a diabetic as some of you may or may not know.
However side effects of insulin and other diabetic treatments is diabeties!
If you didnt have it before you started any treatment its likely you will afterwards!

Oh and im type I btw, and with that you know about it fast, It was about a month before i was diagnosed that i can think of anything that might of vagely resembled it going that way, and when i was diagnosed i was on deaths door

Chrysalis
07-02-2006, 04:50
I guess that would be why they hesistant to provide the drugs unless they fairly certian you have the condition then.

jadeybaby
07-02-2006, 11:00
no u havent scared me away!!
well it was an icebreaker wasnt it? lol

nffc
07-02-2006, 18:22
no u havent scared me away!!
well it was an icebreaker wasnt it? lol
No, that's when you're out on the lash, and you go for a p**s for the first time.