PDA

View Full Version : Cable Modems:Do they have to connect to a PC Directly?

GWAR
03-01-2006, 18:24
Hi All.

Can anybody help me with this one?

I'm currently thinking of getting NTL Broadband but heres my issue: The cable enters my flat at the front of the house. But my computer is at the back of my house and I dont wait to trail cable through to the back. I've had Telewest broadband in the past and the cable modem plugged straight into my PC.

My Question is if I get a NTL Cable installed modem, can I plug my Belkin wireless access point into the cable modem and send wirless to my PC in the backroom, or do cables modems needs to be plugged directly into a PC?

I wish to just add the access point to the cable modem without any wired connection to my computer which is in a different room. i know this set-up can be done using bt based services using a modem/router, but it it possible for NTL.

Any advice will be great, as its currently the only stopper.

Many Thanks

Halcyon
03-01-2006, 18:26
Hi, and :welcome: to the forums.

The modem can be linked to a router or access point but they have to be designed for use with cable modems, so you need to check it is not designed for ADSL modems.
Then just connect it up and set up security on your wireless connection.

ScaredWebWarrior
03-01-2006, 18:27
My Question is if I get a NTL Cable installed modem, can I plug my Belkin wireless access point into the cable modem and send wirless to my PC in the backroom, or do cables modems needs to be plugged directly into a PC?No - the Belkin WAP won't work like that.

But, if you get yourself a Cable Modem/Router with wireless, then your cable connection comes in, connects to the router and then you simply connect to the router through wireless.

GWAR
03-01-2006, 18:39
Thanks for the prompt responses.

Am I correct in thinking that I want to plug a router/access point directly into the cable modem supplied by NTL?

Any hints as to what are the best products?

THanks so much once more

SLM
03-01-2006, 18:51
Was the TW modem a dial up or broadband modem?....was it silver? If you had a BB modem it should work on a ntl modem. You will have to get a cable wireless router (I think ntl do them for about £100) if it is an ADSL router.

JohnHorb
03-01-2006, 19:10
No - the Belkin WAP won't work like that.

You sure? I would have thought it would work OK, just like a hub, i.e. you can only use it to link ONE PC to the modem, not like a router which would allow many PCs.

Graham M
03-01-2006, 19:11
An Access Point will be fine, but will only link one PC as JohnHorb says

quadplay
03-01-2006, 19:47
An Access Point on its own won't work, because it needs an IP address - which it will request via the Cable Modem. As only one IP address is allowed per Cable Modem, that leaves nothing for the PC!

Loz Herbert
03-01-2006, 20:01
An Access Point will work... I've used the same configuration in the past with a USR8054 in simple access point mode.

I can't remember the full details off the top of my head but this is how it should work...

The Access Point gets its IP address from the DHCP server on the local network. When I had this setup, I used a Linux box with two nics as the router and DHCP server but you can do this with any router.

The Access Point and all PCs connected to the router will obtain private IP addresses which are NAT'd through the router and hence shares the internet connection.

The wireless link was essentially transparent and it worked really well.

HTH... It probably depends on your kit but it worked well with the USR.

quadplay
03-01-2006, 20:21
Yes, Access Points will work with ntl Broadband - however, you also need a router (or PC acting as a router). The OP seems to be asking if he can plug his existing Access Point directly into the Cable Modem, which won't work for the reason I stated above.

JohnHorb
03-01-2006, 20:28
Have to disagree here. AFAIK an access point is just the wireless equivalent of a hub. I.e. it won't request an IP itself - the PC wil request an IP THROUGH the WAP, so it WILL work, but only with one PC, as the modem will only provide ONE IP. (Pleae correct me if I'm wrong).

quadplay
03-01-2006, 20:33
All the access points I've used needed an IP address for configuration (to tell them which SSID to use, and so on). This can be set manually on most models, and therefore not requested using DHCP via the Ethernet port (which would be connected to the Cable Modem), but this is not usually default behaviour - and is quite fiddly sometimes.

JohnHorb
03-01-2006, 20:39
Ah! configuration - hadn't thought of that. Could indeed be a problem, unless use a separate wired connection to the WAP just for configuration. Would be fiddly though, as you'd presumably have to give the WAP and PC wired NIC fixed IPs in the same sub-net.

quadplay
03-01-2006, 20:50
Yep, so can be done, but...

Overall, a non-DSL wireless router is by far the best solution. :)

Matth
03-01-2006, 22:22
If you already have a wireless access point, then add a wired router and connect the access point to the router.

Mind you, ebuyer do a Buffalo wireles router - they list the ethernet ported ones as "cable/DSL" and the others as "ADSL/modem" routers for about 30 quid.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=86569

That's a MAD price for a wireless router, though the web config is apparently not great if your requirements go beyond the basic.

Graham M
03-01-2006, 22:55
An Access Point on its own won't work, because it needs an IP address - which it will request via the Cable Modem. As only one IP address is allowed per Cable Modem, that leaves nothing for the PC!

Yes it will, the Access Point is like a hub, the first device to connect will get a connection, the AP itself wont get an IP.

nffc
03-01-2006, 23:30
Bear in mind signal strength follows inverse square law and not only depreciates with distance in open space but wiring, metal, water tanks, walls and other objects also exacerbate this.

And with wifi you'll also get interference from other networks, MW ovens, cordless phones, etc etc.

quadplay
04-01-2006, 08:52
Yes it will, the Access Point is like a hub, the first device to connect will get a connection, the AP itself wont get an IP.

How would you configure the AP then? They almost always have a web-based interface, or else a program which communicates via IP - both of which mean the AP needs an IP address. The vast majority of APs are set up to obtain the IP address using DHCP via the Ethernet port by default.

Graham M
04-01-2006, 10:45
Hmm good question, all I can say is ive seen this setup working before. Only thing i can assume is you http://yourntlipaddresshere to configure it.