PDA

View Full Version : Set Top Box to Modem

UKFSR
03-01-2006, 00:43
I currently recieve my BB through a set top box and must admit that inthe past 3 or 4 years I have had no major issues with the connection at all. It has dropped the odd time but always comes back on within a reasonable time.

Anyway, I always seem to suffer the fact that those with cable modems can upgrade easier and quicker than those of us with set top boxes.

My question is, would NTL be willing to set my connection up using a modem and let the set top box continue giving me the TV package. To be honest I also think I will eventually get rid of the TV package and thus the Set Top Box, leaving me with just the Modem for my BB.

Can someone please advise.

MovedGoalPosts
03-01-2006, 00:52
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

The simple anser is yes this can be done, but it may take a bit of persuading ntl that you really need it. Obviously there is a cost to them as an engineer needs to come and fiddle about with the wires at your house.

The other issue is that at present even the Samsung STBs are limited in their maximum broadband compared to the modem. A a result many are clamouring to get changed to modems so they can get the higher speed, placing demand on ntl. You've just got to see what they say when you call them.

UKFSR
03-01-2006, 01:07
Cheers Rob and thanks for the welcome.

I take on board what you say. To be honest I am thinking of moving to Sky for my TV as the cost is cheaper and I can take advantage of the Sky+ product.

However I didnt want to just ring them and say take the TV out and leave me with my BB and Telephone as I feel they might be slow to produce the said modem. I shall give them a ring and see how it lies with them. I spend over £100 a month with them so I would hope that carries some weight ?

King Of Fools
03-01-2006, 10:58
However I didnt want to just ring them and say take the TV out and leave me with my BB and Telephone as I feel they might be slow to produce the said modem. I shall give them a ring and see how it lies with them. I spend over £100 a month with them so I would hope that carries some weight ?
I think NTL are normally quite quick to swap the STB for a SACM when you unsubscribe from the TV package!