PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever got a free upgrade?

Wod
02-01-2006, 20:55
Just wondering has anyone ever phoned NTL and managed to get a free upgrade by using persuasive language? I heard a friend of myn said that they was leaving to go to BT and NTL offered a speed upgrade-Could it be true?

Paul
02-01-2006, 20:59
Yes, some people do talk ntl into discounts / deals.

Wod
02-01-2006, 21:01
Ok thanks, i was thinking bout doing that to see were i get lol.I phoned before impersonating my dad lol.

Paul K
02-01-2006, 21:09
Ok thanks, i was thinking bout doing that to see were i get lol.I phoned before impersonating my dad lol.
Nice, I hope you ask your parent (who are obviously the named account holders) before you carry out your fraud. Impersonating your dad to get an upgrade without his consent is not clever, talk to him before you try anything or things could get very complicated very quickly.

Maggy
02-01-2006, 21:12
Download Failed (1)

Oh that is going to work.....................................NOT.

Wod
02-01-2006, 21:12
Hmm ok,See well at the minute im looking at BT's deal. And its looking rather nice with the 2Mb service and the wireless internet deal. So i was gona tell NTL about what im thinking of doing and see if they can offer me anything. But i guess impersonation is also a fraud lmao!

smicer07
02-01-2006, 21:26
I'm sure your squeaky voice may give the game away...

Wod
02-01-2006, 21:31
Neh ive got quiet a deep voice!;)

Paul K
02-01-2006, 22:10
Impersonation in this case could be seen as fraud since you would be trying to fool NTL into changing your fathers contract details without his consent or knowledge. You should hope that the person on the other end of the phone doesn't frequent this forum when you ring up ;)

Russ
02-01-2006, 22:14
Discussing illegal activities, such as impersonating account holders in order to get services you aren't personally entitled to is not something which will be tolerated on Cable Forum.

nffc
02-01-2006, 22:20
I'm sure your squeaky voice may give the game away...
Lmao.

Wod
02-01-2006, 22:42
Spose ill just get my father to ring than.Better to be safe than sorry?!

mmm
02-01-2006, 23:42
I am not sure how NTL work but some time long ago I really wanted to cancel Compuserve/AOL and every time I called up to cancel I was given another month free, this went on for months till I got bored and really insisted I did want to cancel!

I suspect all retentions departments have a budget to try to tempt you not to leave, but you really need to be serious about going for an alternative!

kfridge
03-01-2006, 00:23
the other thing to note is that the BT is 2MB max...which means you may not always get the full 2MB speed depending on how busy things are and the contention ratio - i think NTL is a true 2MB connection? (cue the hoards of download speed postings proving me wrong..!)

Wod
03-01-2006, 11:27
Yes but i am on 1Mb now surely for the same price im going to get better speeds from BT?

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

Id rather go on 2Mb NTL but ill see what happens when i phone them. See weve never actually signed a contract with NTL so we should be able to leave.

Paul K
03-01-2006, 11:35
BT speeds are a case of up to and depends on how far you are from the nearest enabled exchange, what your line quality is like etc. They also have a usage policy and limit, 2Gb/month for the lower price tier, 6Gb for the next level, 20Gb for the next and 40Gb for the top tier.

kfridge
03-01-2006, 12:06
Yes but i am on 1Mb now surely for the same price im going to get better speeds from BT?

not so sure about that...if the contention ratio is high and it is a busy time you could end up getting speeds less than the 1MB you are on now - i suggest you be patient and wait until the roll out of 10MB to everyone.

Wod
03-01-2006, 12:43
Yes but i could be waiting till the end of 2006?right?

Maggy
03-01-2006, 13:04
Yes but i could be waiting till the end of 2006?right?

Correct! This is NTL after all.So my young friend you may well have to learn some patience..hard at 13 I know but you cannot force the issue and eventually the time will arrive.

Now write out 100 times 'Patience is a virtue, acquire it if you can'.

:)

Russ
03-01-2006, 14:16
Wod: consider yourself Coggied :D

ian@huth
03-01-2006, 14:59
the other thing to note is that the BT is 2MB max...which means you may not always get the full 2MB speed depending on how busy things are and the contention ratio - i think NTL is a true 2MB connection? (cue the hoards of download speed postings proving me wrong..!)If you look at http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadband you will notice that all NTL broadband tiers are now being sold as "up to" figures. Now that 10Mbps downloads and 512Kbps uploads are available the bandwidth available on a UBR card can more easily be saturated. As more customers are moved to the 10Mbps service during 2006 contention will become more evident. NTL will have to work harder to balance usage and spend more money upgrading infrastructure to prevent contention being a major issue. Heavy users moving to the 1Mbps and 2 Mbps unlimited services may find themselves relegated down to 512Kbps or worse if their activities cause problems for other users.