PDA

View Full Version : Compensation culture?

Chimaera
02-01-2006, 18:56
From the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4574530.stm)

A man who tried to sue a local authority after he soiled his trousers has made it on to a list of the most spurious compensation claims.
He blamed the accident on the closure of a bus station toilet and demanded the price of a new pair of trousers.

I think I've heard it all now! :rolleyes:

ScaredWebWarrior
02-01-2006, 19:13
I think I've heard it all now! :rolleyes:You would have thought he'd have more self-respect than to admit to that!

Anyway, at least there's no chance of this claim actually getting anywhere.

MovedGoalPosts
02-01-2006, 19:16
On the other hand there is a legitimate point as to why public conveniences are often only open during daytimes. I know there are the vandalism issues, but as town centres become more 24 hour orientated, local services seem to get more part time.

But that's not really the topic for this thread :(

Paul K
02-01-2006, 19:24
I think I've heard it all now! :rolleyes:You would have thought he'd have more self-respect than to admit to that!

Anyway, at least there's no chance of this claim actually getting anywhere.
But yet I bet someone takes his case up :( This country is going down the pan (no pun intended) and if we aren't careful we will end up having to have insurance to cover us for every eventuality just in case we offend/inconvenience/distress etc someone in any way shape or form.

Maggy
02-01-2006, 19:32
I think this could all be dealt with very easily.That there should be a case for any judge to decide that such a case cannot go forward on the grounds that it is of a frivolous nature and a waste of the court's precious time which I'm pretty sure they can do already...Though I'm not positive.

Frankly what we need is Judge Judy to come and help us out.;)

Yes I know we must be careful not to undermine people's rights which is why I suggest it is up to the judge to decide if the case proceeds or not..

Tuftus
02-01-2006, 19:51
I read this earlier on and I think that people who bring such time wasting case need to be fined for wasting so much of the taxpayers time for doing so (if the case is found to be such an utter farce).

Maybe this will dis encourage such cases in the first place.

Chimaera
02-01-2006, 19:54
It seems that people will claim for anything these days. My brother in law (who is a total plank) threatened to sue his daughter's school for the distress they caused him when my niece caught head lice! :rofl:

Ramrod
02-01-2006, 21:51
My brother in law (who is a total plank) threatened to sue his daughter's school for the distress they caused him when my niece caught head lice! :rofl:
Wonder what he'd do if she caught crabs in a few years time? :D

Paul K
02-01-2006, 21:57
My brother in law (who is a total plank) threatened to sue his daughter's school for the distress they caused him when my niece caught head lice! :rofl:
Wonder what he'd do if she caught crabs in a few years time? :D

I'm biting my tongue and trying hard to not post the thoughts going through my mind ;)

OK......
he'd have to leave her alone for a couple of weeks *twangs banjo* :p:
Back to topic though, if it weren't for the lawyers that take on the cases knowing that they are groundless our current "compensation culture" would die very quickly. If the legal profession were to find it's morals/ scruples this sort of BS compo claim wouldn't happen.

Ramrod
02-01-2006, 22:13
if it weren't for the lawyers that take on the cases knowing that they are groundless our current "compensation culture" would die very quickly. If the legal profession were to find it's morals/ scruples this sort of BS compo claim wouldn't happen.Legal profession and scruples.....hmmmm. I suspect there are some lawyers who are in it for the money and others who are taking cases like these to see how far they can 'push the envelope'.

Halcyon
02-01-2006, 22:16
I cant believe people sue for one thing or another.
There are much bigger problems in the world and dealing with such silly claims is a waste of time and money IMO.

Ramrod
02-01-2006, 22:21
There are much bigger problems in the worldTrue dealing with such silly claims is a waste of time and money IMO.On the face of it, it looks like a spurious claim but if I was the one who was busting to go (diaorreah perhaps) and just managed to make it to the municipal toilet that should have been open and found it shut and then soiled myself--I'd feel a bit peeved! :D

Paul K
02-01-2006, 22:24
There are much bigger problems in the worldTrue dealing with such silly claims is a waste of time and money IMO.On the face of it, it looks like a spurious claim but if I was the one who was busting to go (diaorreah perhaps) and just managed to make it to the municipal toilet that should have been open and found it shut and then soiled myself--I'd feel a bit peeved! :D
I'm trying to work out if the toilets were closed or had been closed permanently. The word closure in the article could be taken either way to be honest. But there you go ....... sh*t happens ;)

nffc
02-01-2006, 22:30
If he had the craps he should have taken imodium or something, or not gone yards from the bog.

Sadly I think this guy just wanted to cause a scene and has done so, no mitigating circumstances or owt.