PDA

View Full Version : HomeWork help please - Urgent

LiveInFrance
02-01-2006, 16:22
I everybody , I'm new in this forum and ,as my surname say , I'm from France.
I must do my homework for tomorrow but I don't succeed in , somebody can help me ?

The question is : Can watching an average of six soap operas a day and reading about four novels a week help understand sentimental problems ?
( 200 words )

I need some key points .. or things which can made me understand and answer .:D

Thanx y'all .

homealone
02-01-2006, 16:33
hi :welcome:

I don't think immersing oneself in a 'fantasy' world of soap operas & novels will aid compassion in any way, in my opinion you have to experience the situation for yourself, in order to know how it actually makes you feel. :)

MovedGoalPosts
02-01-2006, 16:35
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

If you are watching 6 soaps a day - that's 3 hours Reading 4 novels a week too, unless they are really thin would require a serious time commitment. You wouldn't have time left for sentimental issues!

On the other hand the average soap opera twists and turns on characters are so contorted that I can't see how anyone can argue an ability to learn much from them.

LiveInFrance
02-01-2006, 16:47
lol "Rob C" you're right ... thanx ya for you're point of view but i need more subjective points of view . What you say is good and a little fun lol but this is too personal for my homework , my teacher would say that it's too personal and that I must be " neutral " ( i don't know if it's this word in english ) . I must argue like the other people can think about it .

homealone
02-01-2006, 16:59
lol "Rob C" you're right ... thanx ya for you're point of view but i need more subjective points of view . What you say is good and a little fun lol but this is too personal for my homework , my teacher would say that it's too personal and that I must be " neutral " ( i don't know if it's this word in english ) . I must argue like the other people can think about it .

the word you need is 'objective', I think?

I still am of the opinion that soap operas are a distorted view of 'real' life.

Novels are another matter, however. I think, as although the reader is aware it is not 'real', the author has more scope for explaining the thoughts behind any characters actions, wheras in a soap, you just tend to see the action itself.

Taf
02-01-2006, 17:02
Do people in Soaps ever go to the toilet?

Or watch Soaps on the TV?

Angua
02-01-2006, 17:24
Sentiment from Novels will all depend on the writer the subject and how the characters make you feel, same would apply to soaps.

Some books particularly can draw you in so that you care about the characters and what is happening to them.

Soaps in many ways have all the responses given to you so you don't have to think about how you would relate to the situation.

Good luck :tu:

Tuftus
02-01-2006, 19:55
I would argue that some one spending that amount of time watching soaps and reading books need to get out more and experience and hopefully enjoy real life a bit more.

Maggy
02-01-2006, 20:08
It is hard to measure the compassion issue because it is so subjective.Of course there will be more resonance when the situation portrayed is based on true reality on not soap opera reality.Dream sequences and dead people appearing are not the stuff of every day life.American soaps are the worst for this whilst British soaps do try to stay anchored to real life but even they can get it soo wrong sometimes.Bodies under the patio are not that common but the amount of times that such devices are used makes it hard to have any sense of reality and when reality does seem this thin it's hard to have any compassion for any of the characters concerned.

Some of the best Eastenders and Coronation episodes have been the ones where they have been limited to two or four of the cast and have really gone beneath the surface of the character's emotions.The ones between Dot and Ethel were particularily good.This is about the only time I will ever watch a soap opera.The rest of the time I just find them too superficial.As for Emmerdale (:rolleyes: ) I frankly think that if I were any of the characters living in that village I'd run away as fast as my legs would carry me.It must be one of the least realistically portrayed villages I've ever come across.One of the most deadly as well.The average life span due to violence and accident is pitiable.:rolleyes:

ScaredWebWarrior
02-01-2006, 20:13
I everybody , I'm new in this forum and ,as my surname say , I'm from France.Bienvenue!
I must do my homework for tomorrow but I don't succeed in , somebody can help me ? But it's your homework, right?
The question is : Can watching an average of six soap operas a day and reading about four novels a week help understand sentimental problems ?
( 200 words )

Thanx y'all .Sounds like you left this way too long. I assume the homework was set before Xmas, so if you'd spent less time on the phone to your mates, watched less TV and maybe stayed away from the computer more, then you'd have had ample time to 'understand' the question.

Since I don't watch any soap operas if I can help it, and read no novels, ever - I prefer good fiction - my compassion levels are extremely low.

So do your own homework!

Maggy
02-01-2006, 20:15
I everybody , I'm new in this forum and ,as my surname say , I'm from France.Bienvenue!
I must do my homework for tomorrow but I don't succeed in , somebody can help me ? But it's your homework, right?
( 200 words )

Thanx y'all .Sounds like you left this way too long. I assume the homework was set before Xmas, so if you'd spent less time on the phone to your mates, watched less TV and maybe stayed away from the computer more, then you'd have had ample time to 'understand' the question.

Since I don't watch any soap operas if I can help it, and read no novels, ever - I prefer good fiction - my compassion levels are extremely low.

So do your own homework!

Oh come on!I bet you would have done exactly the same...;) I certainly would have when I was younger :p:

Halcyon
02-01-2006, 22:11
Bienvenue au forum :welcome:

First of all, I wonder if you'd actually have any time to think about sentimental feelings as 6 soaps a day does seem like quite a lot and would interfere with your daily life.....unless of course one was to stay in front of the TV and watch them back to back.....but surely this would be bad for you.

I think that watching a soap, or a couple of soaps a week can help young people relate to issues that may be going on in their life, especially young people who are yet to experience certain situations or relationships.
Soaps can help them to identify themselves and relate their own problems with what they see on the television....so it can help to provoke thoughts and sentimental thoughts as it can help a person get confidence to do something, or give them ideas to do a sentimental thing....eg. Telling someone they love them after seeing how such a person told it onscreen.

As far as books and soaps go, however, I think there is also a line of fantasy where you can get absorbed and use it instead to foget your own sentiments, problems, and thoughts, as you can get involved in someone elses problems, so they act as an interest to block out other personnal things, and instead immerse yourself into the world of the soaps or novel you are reading.

I think books would have more of an effect to bring thoughts to you about sentiments and feelings as you have to picture the book in your mind and this can trigger thuoghts off and get you thinking.

fireman328
03-01-2006, 17:03
Do people in Soaps ever go to the toilet?

Or watch Soaps on the TV?

With regard to visits to the toilet, the cast of Coronation Street, in the Rovers Return, visit to allow the plot to to continue and other characters to discuss the missing persons.

ian@huth
03-01-2006, 17:29
Have you ever noticed how much soap action time is spent in pubs or bars? Soaps also usually show people eating out far more than I would assume most people eat out.