PDA

View Full Version : How do we check our usage?

MistaP
02-01-2006, 11:31
Hi,

How does the normal user check how much they have downloaded on the 10MB package?

Cheers ;)

Paul K
02-01-2006, 11:32
By running a bandwidth monitoring tool. NTL will no doubt provide the necesasry means at some point but for now you have to do it yourself.

Russ
02-01-2006, 11:36
Do a forum search under 'usage' and I'm sure you'll find many tools which help give you an idea.

TracerTong
02-01-2006, 12:19
I use an wee app called NetMeter.
Do a google for it.

patrickp
02-01-2006, 13:22
AIR from the other threads around this, there is no shortage of apps to do this for single computers connected to the modem/STB, but there are comparatively few that could show the internet usage on a network, and most or all of them were disabled by ntl's recent modem firmware upgrades.

Anyone know what the state of play is on this now?

Graham M
02-01-2006, 14:06
If you have a crummy old PC, you could install 2 network cards and set it up as a Linux router to monitor bandwidth.

JonathanLH
02-01-2006, 14:09
a router that supports SNMP so that MRTG can graph it.
or use a PC as a router, with 2 network cards, and run SNMP on it.

rogerdraig
02-01-2006, 16:23
Hi,

How does the normal user check how much they have downloaded on the 10MB package?

Cheers ;)

dont worry about it NTL would have a hard job enforcing any cap ( unless your one of those who download the libary of congress every week ;) )

untill they provide a way of doing it

Graham M
02-01-2006, 16:37
Thats utter Rubbish, they have already proven that they can enforce caps.

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

a router that supports SNMP so that MRTG can graph it.
or use a PC as a router, with 2 network cards, and run SNMP on it.

Most of the newer NTL Modems have SNMP blocked.

Bill C
02-01-2006, 17:34
dont worry about it NTL would have a hard job enforcing any cap ( unless your one of those who download the library of congress every week ;) )

until they provide a way of doing itSorry but that is utter tripe, They have, can, and will enforce it. Just ask the users that were put on the bad boy 512k and ask them if NTL enforced the cap ?.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

Most of the newer NTL Modems have SNMP blocked.
I use ipcop (http://ipcop.org/) It has a bandwidth monitor built in for networks :)

=GAMMO=
02-01-2006, 17:52
I use DUmeter, gives daily up/down usage aswel as monthly usage, a nice little program :) GOOGLE is your friend

=GAMMO=

rogerdraig
02-01-2006, 18:01
Sorry but that is utter tripe, They have, can, and will enforce it. Just ask the users that were put on the bad boy 512k and ask them if NTL enforced the cap ?.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

I use ipcop (http://ipcop.org/) It has a bandwidth monitor built in for networks :)

and those who they enforced it on with the greatest leway in the world would not have been able to say they didnt know

but i garuntee if they tried it with those average users they havnt done any thing to yet they would loose in court

it would be like a car rental company trying to charge per mile after removing the mileometer

MistaP
04-01-2006, 18:46
I use an wee app called NetMeter.
Do a google for it.

thanks! Install and looks good. Thanx the help :)

sicknote
04-01-2006, 20:46
tracertong : i will second that:)

Sherlock614
04-01-2006, 22:05

Think i'll give this a look.

I have used the EXCELLENT Netmeter for a good while now, but having just set up a network etc, this doesn't monitor traffic from any other computer :(

NitroNutter
04-01-2006, 22:40
When ntl modems can be cloned as easy as they can be by someone up the street they really should by now be providing usage pages if they are to be enforcing the cap. Till then if they was to enforce any cap on me I would moan like stink. Of course they wouldnt cap me as I am no longer an NTL BB customer.
When telstra in au introduced caps their users had usage pages. Why cant ntl ? because then the ball is allways theirs to play with is why and no other answer. You cant restrict a service without providing proof of usage ie itemised billing, or meter readings. They may try to enforce it but they have no real legal right to do so.

SnoopZ
04-01-2006, 23:22
Bandwidth Monitor Pro.

danielf
04-01-2006, 23:43
I use down2home (http://jitserv.coolfreepage.com/)

A nice little (free) ap imo

LenMackin
07-01-2006, 00:10
Don't bother monitoring, NTL have created this issue, let them tell you (and prove it) if you have downloaded their (unfair) limit.

Graham M
07-01-2006, 00:38
Don't bother monitoring, NTL have created this issue, let them tell you (and prove it) if you have downloaded their (unfair) limit.
It's users like you that make it a requirement for an ISP to have a cap.

ian@huth
07-01-2006, 10:43
Don't bother monitoring, NTL have created this issue, let them tell you (and prove it) if you have downloaded their (unfair) limit.Why do they have to prove it? Don't forget that it's their finger on the switch and they can press it anytime they want.

Bill C
07-01-2006, 11:03

Simple

They can check your usage.
They have checked users usage.
They have downgraded users after having warned those users about there usage .

Anyone who has signed up in the last 2 years would have agreed to the usage limits set by NTL. If you think there usage limit is unfair then why are you still using them ? :rolleyes:.

2 meg unlimited is in my eye's perfect for what i do. :tu:

It will be a long time before they even think of 10 meg unlimited.

LenMackin
07-01-2006, 14:18
Zeph
It's users like you that make it a requirement for an ISP to have a cap.

ian@huth "Why do they have to prove it? Don't forget that it's their finger on the switch and they can press it anytime they want."

So Zeph you know how much I use each month do you? Actually I am not excessive at all so you've just made a stupid assumption. As for ian@huth sorry but they do have to prove it, if they say a user is in breach of T&C's or whatever they would need to give some evidence to that fact. I just hope that you two do not enter politics, I would emigrate.

Bill C
07-01-2006, 14:36
As for ian@huth sorry but they do have to prove it, if they say a user is in breach of T&C's or whatever they would need to give some evidence to that fact.
Trust me they can produce the evidence. They can tell how much data you have used on the UBR you are connected to. The letters they sent to customer who exceeded the limit showed how much they had used. I know i have seen that data.

Stuart
07-01-2006, 17:12
As for ian@huth sorry but they do have to prove it, if they say a user is in breach of T&C's or whatever they would need to give some evidence to that fact.
Trust me they can produce the evidence. They can tell how much data you have used on the UBR you are connected to. The letters they sent to customer who exceeded the limit showed how much they had used. I know i have seen that data.

In fact, cap or no cap, I would be staggered if they didn't log how much data was transferred. How would they know to upgrade an area if the UBRs didn't log data transfer?

ppolo99
07-01-2006, 17:20
i use DU meter

LenMackin
08-01-2006, 12:31
In fact, cap or no cap, I would be staggered if they didn't log how much data was transferred. How would they know to upgrade an area if the UBRs didn't log data transfer?

Yes so would I. I get very annoyed when people write implying that it is ok to 'not' provide evidence. On very rare occassions when I have spoken with NTL CM support over the last 5.5 years its obvious that they have plenty of date about a connection to hand if they want to get it.

this is how I check useage although bare in mind it clocks everything going into the router (including cross compuer transfers, print jobs to i imagine).

I use the excellent Lynksis WRT54G wireless router. It is loaded with Alchemy-V1.0 v3.37.6.8sv firmware (free download from web). I have now loaded it with another free programme [/URL] This excellent little programme provides fantastic stats about downloads and uploads from the router. The beauty is that you DO NOT need to leave computers on and you can even further configure it so that you can check and configure it from work or via the internet. Theres a small learning curve to getting it going but it configured but its worth it.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

[url]http://www.hetos.de/bwlog.html (http://www.hetos.de/bwlog.html) is the link to the programme i mentioned above - sorry the message didn't show in the origninal link to WRTBlog.

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Hell considering I write for a living I really should check my posts before I send them!!

ian@huth
08-01-2006, 13:32
So Zeph you know how much I use each month do you? Actually I am not excessive at all so you've just made a stupid assumption. As for ian@huth sorry but they do have to prove it, if they say a user is in breach of T&C's or whatever they would need to give some evidence to that fact. I just hope that you two do not enter politics, I would emigrate.Why do they have to prove it?

NTL are only going to downgrade your service or terminate your account if they observe that you have been violating the terms and conditions applicable to your service. If they are satisfied that your use is detrimental to the network they have only to "flick the switch" and you are either on a slower service or cut off. NTL will give you the reason why they are taking the action but they do not need to prove that the reason is correct.

If you contact them and tell them you haven't been a bad boy and want proof and they don't provide any proof what can you do? As far as I can see you can either accept their decision or sue them for breach of contract. Do you seriously think that you would succeed with any court action? How would you prove that they had breached the contract terms?

Stuart
08-01-2006, 13:52
Why do they have to prove it?

You actually answered your own question. They would have to prove it if you took them to court for breach of contract. They would need evidence to back up their claim that you went over the limit.

ian@huth
08-01-2006, 14:24
You actually answered your own question. They would have to prove it if you took them to court for breach of contract. They would need evidence to back up their claim that you went over the limit.The reason that I said they don't have to prove it is that realistically anyone seriously violating the terms and conditions will know full well that they have done so. They will know that NTL will have the facts and figures to back up their case and that taking any court action is almost certainly going to end in failure. They will have to pay the costs of the action and still end up with either a reduced service or no service. Don't forget that NTL usually isssue a warning and only take action if that warning is ignored.

Stuart
08-01-2006, 14:40
You actually answered your own question. They would have to prove it if you took them to court for breach of contract. They would need evidence to back up their claim that you went over the limit.The reason that I said they don't have to prove it is that realistically anyone seriously violating the terms and conditions will know full well that they have done so. They will know that NTL will have the facts and figures to back up their case and that taking any court action is almost certainly going to end in failure. They will have to pay the costs of the action and still end up with either a reduced service or no service. Don't forget that NTL usually isssue a warning and only take action if that warning is ignored.

There are people who will still try the legal action. An example of this sort of attitude is that the Uni where I work. One of our most important rules is students should not plagerise other people's work. This is in all the Uni handbooks, and is also stated on the front of every coursework, as well as in lectures. We have *still* had students attempt legal action against us because they didn't know plagerism wasn't allowed.