PDA

View Full Version : Moving house

tphj
01-01-2006, 16:17
Hi.
I am soon to move house and will have to cancel my NTL phone and tv,broadband via its own modem.
My son who is buying this house has NTL broadband only.
Questions
1.Will it be possible to cancel my contract and my son transfer his broadband to this address?
2.Who do I contact and what information will they require?
3.How much notice should I give
Thak you in advance for any help/information

andygrif
01-01-2006, 17:31
I'm not able to answer your specific question - hopefully someone else will be able to assist with those - however I would offer some generally practical advice when it comes to dealing with ntl's Moves & Transfers department:

Do it all in writing, preferably by letters sent Recorded Delivery. As phone calls, emails and normal letters have a strange habit of disappearing into the ether. I spent the best part of ten hours (no joke) trying to get my house move sorted. I gave my new address three times to three people in three departments - and despite collecting my STB from my NEW address, they still swore blind that they only had my old one and that I never gave it to them!!

Also, when phoning, you are now told that M&Ts no longer take calls from customers. Despite this, there is usually a lengthy call queue to get to speak to them - go figure.

When you do get to speak to them, the first one I spoke to was on another planet (actually I spoke to him twice, the first time I gave him my new address, the second time he denied having my new address - busted!). The second one I spoke to seemed to like the sound of her own voice a little too much, and then accused me of interrupting her, despite the fact that she had finished her sentance! I've hung up on her twice now becuase she was so rude and patronising.

Hence why I suggest writing - moving house is stressful enough without having to deal with a department that appears to be totally unable to perform its sole function and then to be shouted at by some mad woman.

Angua
01-01-2006, 21:43
There should be no problem with your son moving into your house, however they will start a new contract for him (rather than take over your account). He will need to give at least two weeks notice of when he wishes to move in (and double check a week later and then every other day to make sure they are actually turning up to fit broadband equipment, they will provide new equipment for the move (don't ask why as I have no idea)).

Good luck :tu:

spike7451
01-01-2006, 22:42
I'm not able to answer your specific question - hopefully someone else will be able to assist with those - however I would offer some generally practical advice when it comes to dealing with ntl's Moves & Transfers department:

Do it all in writing, preferably by letters sent Recorded Delivery. As phone calls, emails and normal letters have a strange habit of disappearing into the ether. I spent the best part of ten hours (no joke) trying to get my house move sorted. I gave my new address three times to three people in three departments - and despite collecting my STB from my NEW address, they still swore blind that they only had my old one and that I never gave it to them!!

Also, when phoning, you are now told that M&Ts no longer take calls from customers. Despite this, there is usually a lengthy call queue to get to speak to them - go figure.

When you do get to speak to them, the first one I spoke to was on another planet (actually I spoke to him twice, the first time I gave him my new address, the second time he denied having my new address - busted!). The second one I spoke to seemed to like the sound of her own voice a little too much, and then accused me of interrupting her, despite the fact that she had finished her sentance! I've hung up on her twice now becuase she was so rude and patronising.

Hence why I suggest writing - moving house is stressful enough without having to deal with a department that appears to be totally unable to perform its sole function and then to be shouted at by some mad woman.

House moves have always been a unfunny joke within NTL.The amount of jobs I had where it was down on the W/O for B/Band only but when I arrived it was for TV & Telco as well!Needless to say,the latter I could'nt do as the was'nt a W/Order in place for it & the Telco move had'nt been provisioned!
Andy's dead on with it.Also,make sure you give a mobile number so you can be contacted by the crew.
Spike

Scottish_gal786
02-01-2006, 17:28
hey
if you are canceling your services then you need to give a 30 days notice but if you are taken the service to your new house then it is a 10 days notice, and what they would do is start a new contract with your son inless you are within you 12 months contract

hope this helps

fentyke
04-01-2006, 17:14
The very best of luck pal becasue I move on Nov 5th and have had nothing but trouble with NTL since. They have managed to install my TV but I'm still waiting on the landline. Every time I contact them I get no satisfaction, am transfered from department to department, I'm told contradictory information and they won't compensate me for my mobile calls I've had to make because NTL can't tell me one way or the other if I can have a phone at all let alone when it will be fitted. Until I moved I was perfectly happy with them and have even defended them when complaints have been made in my presence. Not anymore.

MovedGoalPosts
10-01-2006, 18:12
fentyke, please see my reply to you in your other thread on this matter.