PDA

View Full Version : AAAARRRGGGGHHH - please someone help

benjamta
31-12-2005, 10:28
I've posted below all the notes I've made in my dealings with this company, if people dont get any of it, please ask and I'll clarify, they are still in note form.

I want to cry. Can anyone help?

Orded NTL on arround the 9th November, asking for their combined package of TV, Broadband (2MB) and telephone (transfering our old phone number from BT).

Order was confirmed, with installation date between 8am and 1pm of the 24th November.

Telephoned a week later to check about transfering our number, was told that we don't need to do anything, they will require our active BT line and will transfer the number, closing the old BT account when our NTL kit is installed.

Thursday 24th November 2005
---------------------------

Installation took place at 1pm and took 3 hours. Installer came thinking we had just ordered broadband. After mounting the boxes he had to leave to get us a set top box. He returned an hour later to complete the installation.

He also knew nothing about our phone number transfer and had to leave me with a new NTL number and the advice to call customer services to sort it out. I was unable to call customer services during the day so decided to call them on the 25th to sort it out.

Internet and TV were working.

At 22:15 the set top box froze, the TV went black and internet access stopped working.

I turned the power to the set top box off, waited for 2 minutes and turned it back on. A message appeared on the screen saying the teh box was being updated and should be left on. After 10 minutes the screen when green and the number 1373 froze on the front of the box. I tried powering it off again, and the message returned. I left it and after about 30 minutes a code Err 1 appeared on the set top box, and the tv screen was black. We were left with no TV and no internet access.

Customer services was closed.

Friday 25th November 2005
-------------------------

Rebooted set top box, TV and internet access came on for a moment, then screen went black.

Called customer services at 08:09. Was on put on hold for 11 minutes. Spoke to David. He tried 'sending a signal', which didn't work. He told me that the install team would need to send signals which would take up to 2-3 hours. When I said that no one would be in he suggested I take the morning off work. When I said I couldn't do that because I'd already taken all day yesterday off for installation he hung up on me.

Called customer services straight back, time now 08:25. Was on hold for 7 minutes. Spoke to Rachael. Explained the problem again and explained that I'd just been hung up on. Was put hold while she called the installation department, and the faults department. She put me through to the faults department and a lady called clair.

Clair, she spoke to David who it turns out sent the job through to the installations department regardless of the fact that I wont be in. Clair took my mobile number for them to call me, but I will be unable to check if it's working because I'll be at work.

I explained the problem with my phone number not being transfered, she put me on hold while she called customer services.

I was then put through to someone called Chrissie. She explained that the number 'port' hadn't been sent and I'd have to call back with our BT account number to start the process - regardless of the fact that I'd called a week earlier to check.

Left call with problems un resolved at 08:50.

Returned home during my lunch break at 12:30 to try to sort out any problems. Set top box was still down. Called customer services, was told that the signals they told me they we're going to send this morning havn't been sent, refused to explain why. Eventually I was told that an engineer would be sent out, but not till monday and could I take the day off work? I said this was the final straw and asked to close the account.

I was put through to Paul in discconnections who eventually agreed to close the account. I was told that I would receive a letter confirming this and that I would be contacted to arrange return of my equipment. Paul told me that I would not be billed.

Left call thinking that my experance with NTL had finaly come to an end.

Later that afternoon Ali (my wife) answered the door to an NTL engineer, which was completely unexpected, it was only by pure chance that she happened to be in. He had come to fix our problem, Ali had him call me so I could explained that we'd closed the account. He took the set top box away. Ali was not asked to sign anything to confirm that he'd taken the set top box.

Wednesday 30th November 2005
----------------------------
Received a bill from NTL in the post for £52. This bill was marked for 'services to January 2nd 2006'. Called customer services at 15:00, spoke to June. I explained the problem, she was initially vague and disinterested, and told me to simply ignore the bill. I was unhappy with this and asked her to explain why I'd received a bill at all. She put me on hold. She came back 5 minutes later to explain that the account hadn't been closed yet because it requires a 30day notice period. But that because of my instance the balance of the bill would be cancelled, therefore I should simply ignore the bill. The account will be closed within 30 days.

Monday 19th December 2005
-------------------------
Received a threatening letter demanding £26.51, also notice that 1p has been taken from our bank account. Spoke to Faye Thompson in retentions, some how the account is still open 'pending dissconection'. Some one has credited £25 to the account. Faye has canceled all money outstanding on the account and confirmed that the account will be closed. A letter to that effect will be put in the post to me tomorrow.

Saturday 31st December 2005
---------------------------
Received a bill showing £43.03 credit and 37 non-itemised phone calls for a total of 8 minutes (incuring no charge). I have not received the letter promissed by Faye on the 19th.

Called customer services to find out once again why the account isn't closed, spoke to Maureen O'Conner. She started by telling me that the account hadn't been closed because of a 'problem with the system'. Later she told me that the account could be closed but that the disconnections department were closed. She couldn't explain or find the 37 phone calls on the account and there is no record of them on their system even though they show on the bill.

Unsatisfied I asked to talk to a supervisor, spoke to John Mac'Greggor. He flatly refused to talk about any of the previous problems I've had. He explained the the account was actually still open because 'that's what happens to accounts like this and it will stay open till march'. He told me that credits would continue to be added to the account so that we don't get charged. He wouldn't tell me why the account had to stay open till March, he wouldn't tell my why I variously been told that the account was open because of technical problems, the 30 day notice period etc...

I was still unsatisfied, considering the threatening letter I'd previously received and asked for confirmation in writing that the account will be closed, when it would be closed and that I would not be charged anything. He told me that this was not possable under any circumstances and I would just have to trust him. I asked why on two separate occasions I had been told that I would get confirmation that the acocunt will be closed. He again told me that I would just have to take his word. I asked him to explain the 37 calls showing on the bill, but he wouldn't even look at the account.

I asked again for confirmation in writing that the acocunt would be closed, he then casually agreed to 'put something in the post for me on monday'. Considering how firmly he'd previously insisted that it could not be done (and Monday is a bank holiday...) I was left with the feeling that he was trying to get rid of me. Since he was not answering my questions and I was not getting anywhere I decided to wait untill next week to call again if I have not received the letter.

Help!

Russ
31-12-2005, 10:36
If you PM me with your name, address and account number, I'll get someone from ntl to look at this for you.

Bear in mind though that my contact won't be back in work until tuesday (or whenever the hangover clears up.....).

benjamta
31-12-2005, 10:37
you're a star, it's either get it sorted or you'll find me rocking gently in the corner murmering my account number to myself.

Russ
31-12-2005, 10:41
Thanks, but the star (or stars) in cases like this are the ntl peeps who offer us their help out of their own time.

benjamta
06-01-2006, 20:31
Had a phone call today from a fantastic woman, Julie from NTL (if the name's wrong it's cause I wrote it down at work and now I'm at home!)

She was polite, efficient, and frankly amazing. If NTL employed all people like her, they could take over the world.

We have to wait for a while for a final resolution, but speaking to her has made me feel hundred times more confident. many thanks to her, and the guys from this forum.

Halcyon
06-01-2006, 20:45
I'm glad things are finally starting to clear for you and your matter is getting looked at. Good luck.