PDA

View Full Version : Quiz: Festive first aid

Maggy
30-12-2005, 22:23
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4569024.stm

I got 10/10 so either I know more than I realised OR it is rather easy. ;)

Hom3r
30-12-2005, 22:29
10/10 and I've never done first aid. I've only watched hospital prog or 999 progs

Chris W
30-12-2005, 22:34
Grr... annoying... stopped at question one.

CORRECT! It's the five slaps. Encourage her to cough first and if this fails, bend her forwards and give her five sharp slaps between the shoulder blades.

INCORRECT! It's UPTO give backslaps.... if the first dislogges the obstruction then is there any point in giving her another four...

Stuart
31-12-2005, 00:18
I got 10 out of 10, but I *have* recently re-qualified as a first aider at work, so should, I guess.

Graham M
31-12-2005, 01:18
10 out of 10 here... I got my First Aid Badge in scouts :D

nffc
31-12-2005, 01:28
10 but some of the options are so pathetically /not the right thing to do, makes it easy if you didn't know!

Graham
31-12-2005, 02:24
I got 9/10 but on question 6 I think the answer *should* definitely be "turn off Eastenders first!" :D

I'm also dubious about the "just cut their hand on a carving knife" answer because there's a possibility of getting food particles in the wound which could cause infection, so from what I recall of first aid courses, they should be washed out before putting pressure on it (and the answer that says "put pressure on it" should say "using a bandage or clean cloth" to be correct)

Stuart
31-12-2005, 02:39
I got 9/10 but on question 6 I think the answer *should* definitely be "turn off Eastenders first!" :D

I'm also dubious about the "just cut their hand on a carving knife" answer because there's a possibility of getting food particles in the wound which could cause infection, so from what I recall of first aid courses, they should be washed out before putting pressure on it (and the answer that says "put pressure on it" should say "using a bandage or clean cloth" to be correct)

IIRC their answer is correct, as depending on the severity of the cut, it may be more importantant to prevent blood loss. You can sort out any infection with with antibiotics later.

That is, of course, assuming a severe cut, and the patient should be taken to hospital as quickly as possible.

For a less severe cut, obviously wash it out and dress it as you say.

Graham
31-12-2005, 03:08
IIRC their answer is correct, as depending on the severity of the cut, it may be more importantant to prevent blood loss. You can sort out any infection with with antibiotics later.

That is, of course, assuming a severe cut, and the patient should be taken to hospital as quickly as possible.

For a less severe cut, obviously wash it out and dress it as you say.

Yep, that was more or less what I thought. It doesn't really give enough details.

Halcyon
02-01-2006, 23:00
9/10

Good idea this quiz as it is important to know basic first aid. You never know when it can become useful.

ScaredWebWarrior
02-01-2006, 23:11
I got 10/10 so either I know more than I realised OR it is rather easy. ;)Don't want to disappoint you, but some of the 'wrong' answers were so utterly dumb, a 5yo could have probablypicked the 10 right answers...

That quiz was a disservice to the emergency services and a poke in the eye for First Aid!

Shaun
02-01-2006, 23:35
I still don't know why first aid isn't part of the national curriculum. For the sake of a few hours all school leavers could be qualified first aiders. :erm:

MadGamer
02-01-2006, 23:46
8/10

Maggy
02-01-2006, 23:52
I got 10/10 so either I know more than I realised OR it is rather easy. ;)Don't want to disappoint you, but some of the 'wrong' answers were so utterly dumb, a 5yo could have probablypicked the 10 right answers...

That quiz was a disservice to the emergency services and a poke in the eye for First Aid!

Well that was what I thought which is why I posted the thread..

Could anyone of you first aiders come up with a First Aid Quiz that would test everyone but also help to educate the public about first aid? :erm:

Salu
03-01-2006, 00:13
I still don't know why first aid isn't part of the national curriculum. For the sake of a few hours all school leavers could be qualified first aiders. :erm:

Now this is something I've been saying for years. I really don't why this isn't taught at school. Or at least Basic Life Support

10/10 You'll be glad to hear. Hopefully you won't ever need me....