PDA

View Full Version : Changing From USB to Ethernet

BorderLine
30-12-2005, 16:24
Ok, I got BB installed like 3Years ago. And, I remember I had an ethernet cable but, didn't know where it fitted in. Now, I got a new better computer and I know where it goes. It's just I've lost the Eternet cable! lol. Where can I buy another one? Theres an ethernet fitting at the back of the cable modem so, It will fit right?

AbyssUnderground
30-12-2005, 16:26
You can buy a cable from any computer shop. PCWorld or Maplin electronics will sell them. I cant remember which type you need though, a standard or crossover.

Wait for someone else to reply before buying one.

MovedGoalPosts
30-12-2005, 16:27
Any decent computer store will be able to supply ethernet leads, of varying lengths so you can get one to suit. A standard straight through cable works for everythign but some of the Pace STBs (check the back of an STB for a little sticker that would say x-over).

You can buy online too - just browse places like pcworld, maplin, etc. But watch out for the postage on something so low cost.

As for actual connection, make sure you switch off the PC and modem, unplug the USB leads, plug in the ethernet, and then only switch on the modem, let that settle, and then switch on the PC.

BorderLine
30-12-2005, 16:29
Kk! Is just my cousin got the same broadband 2mb and he's goes faster than mine and he's thinks its because of ethernet? So, I'm going to upgrade. One other thing, Do I just fit the ethernet cable into the back off the Cable Modem then into my pc then the internet will start working?

---------- Post added at 16:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

Also, is there different types of ethernet cables? I need to know which one before buying lol

Web-Junkie
30-12-2005, 16:30
Any standard RJ45 Ethernet 'patch' cable will do, don't get a 'crossover' cable though as I don't think that will work if it's a SACM.

It will be cheaper to nip out to a local computer shop and buy one rather than order online, they're only a couple of quid for 1 to 2 meter cable.

Just plugging the Ethernet cable it into the modem and PC should be enough to get a connection, at least on WinXP it does :)

MovedGoalPosts
30-12-2005, 16:31
Ethernet will often work faster than USB simply because the ethernet adaptor is dedicated, whilst USB relies on general computer resources. There are issues too that USB 1 is not necessarily fast enough to support speeds of the 10meg broadbands (not relevant to your 2 meg).

As said above, any standard ethernet cable will do.

Cerberus
30-12-2005, 16:49
I have used USB for the past 3 years to get internet from the SACM to my PC/Network. I just changed to ethernet today and I can honestly say why didn't I use ethernet in the first place?:confused: It really does make a difference.

On a lighter note got a 10/100mb Realtek Network Card for £6 and that had a ethernet cable thrown in. So getting a card and a cable wont and/or shouldn't cost you more than a tenner!