PDA

View Full Version : Banking Problem- getting name off joint account

smicer07
30-12-2005, 12:00
Been in touch with the ex because I've got a letter from the bank saying my name is still attached to the joint account (I thought this was sorted but evidently not) and that that overdraft on it is close to being used up totally (minus 470 out of an overdraft of 500). I called her and she's had a big go at me saying it's none of my business :dozey: despite the fact I'm receiving letters regarding it! Is there any way I can get my name off this damn account? I asked Natwest but they said I cannot do it without her doing so too- and she refuses because I think she wants to use the overdraft facility on it. And puts the phone down on me when I try to explain why I want my name off :dunce: :dunce:

Cheers.

dilli-theclaw
30-12-2005, 12:02
I think you DO need both people to agree to it first.

The best thing to do is go to somewhere like the cab and ask them for further advice if both her and natwest don't want to play ball.

Gareth
30-12-2005, 12:03
Nope, it is not possible to remove yourself from a joint account without both of you being there in person.

danielf
30-12-2005, 12:03
Call the bank, explain the situation, and ask them to contact her?

smicer07
30-12-2005, 12:04
Doh. Thanks anyway :)

Paul K
30-12-2005, 12:06
Some banks can't remove names from joint accounts without closing the account and opening a new one with the new details. Either way both parties need to be present I think for the account to close so your ex will have to play ball at some point. Sounds like she is running up a debt that you are now connected to just to spite you.
Can you not ask the bank to freeze the account until this situation is sorted as it is a serious issue to you.

dilli-theclaw
30-12-2005, 12:06
Doh. Thanks anyway :)Most solicitors have a free clinic one day a week - you could get yourself down and see what they suggest?

smicer07
30-12-2005, 12:07
Yeah I'll give all your suggestions a try and see what happens.

Gareth
30-12-2005, 12:09
Call the bank, explain the situation, and ask them to contact her?That's actually a very good idea. If I was you, I would go in to your branch where the overdraft was arranged and explain the situation - without your ex girlfriend being present. Explain that you are no longer together, and that you had thought the account had been closed down. You should explain that you were not responsible for the withdrawls made against that account, and you would like them to explain what options you have available to you, as you don't feel it is fair to expect you to pay for something you didn't use.

They won't budge on removing you from the account without your girlfriend being present, but you might get some assistance from the bank in terms of responsibility for repayment of the overdraft.

If the worst comes to the worst, ask them to arrange a meeting with her present. Morally speaking, you shouldn't have to pay for this, but I think you may find that because you are jointly responsible, you will be liable to repay the debt. A worst-case scenario would be you offering to pay ½ the debt (bad enough but still better than paying the whole amount) and getting removed from the account... but hopefully you'll not have to resort to this.

Angua
30-12-2005, 12:10
Point out to her that whilst the account is still in joint names, you can still draw her money out.

nffc
30-12-2005, 12:15
Point out to her that whilst the account is still in joint names, you can still draw her money out.
What money, there's £-470 in there?

Angua
30-12-2005, 12:18
What money, there's £-470 in there?
Ahh but at the point her pay goes in, he could draw out all the money to the limit of the overdraft. ;)

etccarmageddon
30-12-2005, 12:20
ask them to freeze the account and also that you wish to close it as soon as possible - ie. as soon as the other account holder consents. I dont know where you're at with the house issue - any further forward? but this may impact on the mortgage direct debit and your ex's desire to sell the house etc.

smicer07
30-12-2005, 12:21
House is sorted mate, she gave me the cash for it and it's all gone through. Just don't want any bad credit ratings etc.

timewarrior2001
30-12-2005, 12:58
I'd take further legal advice.

Speak to the bank, tell them you are seperated and that you no longer wish to have any financial involvement with your ex.

Advise them in writing that as far as you are concerned any debt owing on the account is not yours, as you are not using it (assuming you dont use it).

If all that fails, see if they will freeze the account or would they prefer you to get a court judgement to do the same, but advise them if its going to cost you you will seek compensation form the bank.

If all esle fails, tell them your cards been stolen, and you suspect other account related documents. And request new cards and pin numbers be sent to the registered address.

Then hopefully she will contact you when she cant get any money.

etccarmageddon
30-12-2005, 13:28
House is sorted mate, she gave me the cash for it and it's all gone through. Just don't want any bad credit ratings etc.:drunk: well this account thing is just a minor irritation then!

montypython
30-12-2005, 13:58
Hi.

My grandaughter is going through the same problem with her ex, and, there is a £1000 overdraught that the bank wants paying back, which they say she has to pay. Her ex refuses to have his or her name to be taken off the joint account so the bank will not do anything. this has been going on over 12 months now, I have even been to the bank manager but he won't budge on the issue. As soon as the overdraft is clear, her ex uses it again, so I have told the bank, we are not paying anymore back until they sort it out.

What we have done is put a notice in our local paper simply stating my grandaughter accepts no responsibility for any debt or purchases made from the joint account and included his name.

We are now taking legal action against her ex.

goblin
30-12-2005, 14:12
Been in touch with the ex because I've got a letter from the bank saying my name is still attached to the joint account (I thought this was sorted but evidently not) and that that overdraft on it is close to being used up totally (minus 470 out of an overdraft of 500). I called her and she's had a big go at me saying it's none of my business :dozey: despite the fact I'm receiving letters regarding it! Is there any way I can get my name off this damn account? I asked Natwest but they said I cannot do it without her doing so too- and she refuses because I think she wants to use the overdraft facility on it. And puts the phone down on me when I try to explain why I want my name off :dunce: :dunce:

Cheers.

My friend went through a similar situation with his ex partner, though his overdraft on their joint-account was somewhat larger. As far as I recall he was given this advice by his solicitor.

Cancel any cards on the account which hold your name. Write a letter, make copies and send a registered copy to all parties ie: Ex Parner, Bank and Ex partners solicitors - especially the solicitors, so that should any problems arrise at a later date. The Ex cannot claim "He did it, it's nothing to do with me. I never took the money etc etc". Ensure that you point out in the letter that you have seperated and that you are no longer jointly liable for each others debts. If you have any additional paperwork for instance that which shows she now owns\resides at your old address. Include copies of that as well. It is also worth taking a copy of the letter into your own branch just to make sure that they are aware of the situation. If possible, get a receipt for the letter.

Then get a copy of your credit reference, make sure you update the details that you are no longer resident at your old address. Make a point of disassociating yourself from your ex partner, any debts from the point you legally seperated etc. You may also need to send them a copy of any supporting evidence.

This worked well for my friend. So much so that when his ex claimed, there's no way I'm repaying money "he took", everyone had copies of his letters and she became liable for the debts incurred after their relationship ended.

HTH

Shaun
30-12-2005, 14:18
You should explain that you were not responsible for the withdrawls made against that account, and you would like them to explain what options you have available to you, as you don't feel it is fair to expect you to pay for something you didn't use.
Makes no difference I'm afraid. When I worked for Natwest I felt so sorry for people in Smicers position because they are legally responsible for ALL the debt no matter who withdrew it, when and under what circumstances (something to remember all of you with joint accounts). The phrase used in the banking contract is "Jointly and severally liable", it means just that you are both responsible but if one refused to pay the other has to.

The advice you'll get from you solicitor (or the bank) is to contact the bank NOW and tell them the situation. They should (this is how it used to be done) put an immediate stop on the account and send letters out to both of you to visit them at the same time to either remove one name from the account or prove that you are both happy for the account to be reopened. When I worked there on several occasions customer just phoned up to find out what the score was and the bank suspended the account even if the person phoning didn't really want it to happen. They had to cover their own back you see.

Personally I'd ring her (or write after all the account is nearly up to its limit so time isn't that big a factor) and threaten her with suspending the account and tell her you give her x number of days until you do it unless she agrees to go to the bank with you to remove her name.

If she rings the bank in the mean time they'll probably force her hands and suspend the account anyway.

Gareth
30-12-2005, 15:15
I agree that it makes no difference legally, as smicer is as responsible for the account (and any subsequent debts) as she is. I checked the policy for Nationwide, and it's the same as you've said for NatWest. However, I also know for a fact that bank employees have been known to exert influence on the other account holder / ex-partner. Saying that, all the cases I've known where this takes place were for debts that were considerably larger than £500. All things considered, it might be worth taking the hit financially and getting it sorted once and for all.

Chris
30-12-2005, 16:32
Crivvens, here we go again ... :disturbd:

Here is another opportunity for you to either take swift, decisive action, or else allow your ex to walk all over you and carry on doing pretty much whatever suits her.

You need to pay close attention to Shaun's advice - he used to work for them after all. Get that account frozen. She'll soon pay attention then. If the bank won't cooperate, then you should wait for pay day and withdraw her entire month's salary from the account. Then tell her you will pay it back in person, at the bank, after she has signed the necessary papers.

Whatever you plan to do, do it without consulting her in any way. Do not make threats; just do what you plan to do. Otherwise she will walk all over you, as she did for several months last spring over the whole house issue. :(

Flubflow
30-12-2005, 16:44
You know what smicer, you really asked for it.
After all the trouble with the house and all the advice given (and mostly ignored) you had this joint account timebomb all the time. This should have been sorted at the same time you settled on the house deal.
Is there anything else you are going to surprise us with next? Such as HP agreements, bank loans, credit cards etc in joint names?

Do not pay a penny into that account (and don't take a penny out) otherwise you just implicate yourself. Go now to a solicitor and see what you can do.

Saaf_laandon_mo
30-12-2005, 17:01
Crivvens, here we go again ... :disturbd:

Here is another opportunity for you to either take swift, decisive action, or else allow your ex to walk all over you and carry on doing pretty much whatever suits her.

You need to pay close attention to Shaun's advice - he used to work for them after all. Get that account frozen. She'll soon pay attention then. If the bank won't cooperate, then you should wait for pay day and withdraw her entire month's salary from the account. Then tell her you will pay it back in person, at the bank, after she has signed the necessary papers.

Whatever you plan to do, do it without consulting her in any way. Do not make threats; just do what you plan to do. Otherwise she will walk all over you, as she did for several months last spring over the whole house issue. :(

withdrawing the salary will only work if she is still paying her salary into the account. My view is that she has no intention of repaying back the overdraft, and waiting for, is it Smicer, to clear it.

etccarmageddon
30-12-2005, 17:11
indeed she is out to rip him off.

Nidge
01-01-2006, 15:10
House is sorted mate, she gave me the cash for it and it's all gone through. Just don't want any bad credit ratings etc.

Put something in the local paper saying that you will not be responsible for any debts against you from this date. It worked for a mate of mine.

Shaun
03-01-2006, 19:38
So Smicer, what DID you do?