PDA

View Full Version : e-mail without a sender:

Alan Ryan
06-11-2003, 16:54
This morning I received an e-mail with the subject, "in reply to your enquiry"; the identity of the sender was left blank. When I tried to add the message to my blocked senders list, OE informed me that the "selected sender could not be added to your blocked senders list".

What's going on here ? Has some e-mail scamster found a way of preventing his messages being blocked ? I was under the impression that I could add ANY sender to the blocked list without OE interfering with my decision.

ntluser
06-11-2003, 17:17
This morning I received an e-mail with the subject, "in reply to your enquiry"; the identity of the sender was left blank. When I tried to add the message to my blocked senders list, OE informed me that the "selected sender could not be added to your blocked senders list".

What's going on here ? Has some e-mail scamster found a way of preventing his messages being blocked ? I was under the impression that I could add ANY sender to the blocked list without OE interfering with my decision.

Some e-mail versions allow you to redesign your mail form to include a 'From' window as well as a 'To' window. If you leave the 'From' window blank (or use spaces), I think it allows you to send an e-mail apparentlyfrom no-one. It's also impossible to return an e-mail to them as you do not have a valid e-mail address to send it to.

Perhaps someone can confirm this.

Defiant
06-11-2003, 17:30
Sign up here http://www.spamcop.net its free and they can tell you who their ISP is and give you the admin e-mail addy to report them

Gogogo
06-11-2003, 17:46
It looks as if someone has hijacked my e-mail address for spam, unfortunatetly, I deleted an e-mail too quickly before I could check headers. Anyone got a suggestion as to the best course of action if this is what has happened. What can be done?

As they say in Startrack sheilds are up, firewall, anti-virus, trojan elimination have all been working so as far as I can tell no way are such e-mails coming from our pc.

:eek:

Alan Ryan
06-11-2003, 19:12
Sign up here http://www.spamcop.net its free and they can tell you who their ISP is and give you the admin e-mail addy to report them
Thanks for the link: It's a pity Outlook Express can't be tweaked to prevent anonymous messages being deposited in the Inbox.

Peter
06-11-2003, 21:55
It looks as if someone has hijacked my e-mail address for spam, unfortunatetly, I deleted an e-mail too quickly before I could check headers. Anyone got a suggestion as to the best course of action if this is what has happened. What can be done?

As they say in Startrack sheilds are up, firewall, anti-virus, trojan elimination have all been working so as far as I can tell no way are such e-mails coming from our pc.

:eek:

I doubt they have hijacked it. You can fake the headers so that it looks like it is coming from somewhere else.

Simply check the headers for the IP address of the sender and compare.

Florence
11-11-2003, 08:20
A member on our forums has researched spam emails and has found out an address. If the modds don't mind I will only post a link as its a ;ongish post.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12868

Lets see if we can force him to stop.