PDA

View Full Version : ADSL setup help

scrotnig
28-12-2005, 12:58
I've recently set up BT Broadband for a friend, but I'm having one minor problem.

The only phone socket into the house is downstairs, and the PC is upstairs. So we ran a long phone extension from the socket to upstairs, put the filter at the end of that, and then a phone and the PC there. That works fine. We also have a phone into the main socket downstairs, via a socket doubler, but this does not work correctly when the modem is connected - there is excessive noise on the line.

I am guessing this means you cannot have any telephones in between the master socket and the filter, is this true? Does this mean that the only way to fix it would be to have a long DSL cable running all the way upstairs AS WELL as the telephone cable? This seems impractical.

How can I fix this? Would a second filter at the main socket cure it, or would that bugger it up?

dilli-theclaw
28-12-2005, 13:03
When I had adsl I used a splitter downstairs with a filter off that (and the downstairs phone plugged in there) and an extention reel going upstairs with a filter plugged in the upstairs end(and the pc cable coming from that filter).

scrotnig
28-12-2005, 13:21
When I had adsl I used a splitter downstairs with a filter off that (and the downstairs phone plugged in there) and an extention reel going upstairs with a filter plugged in the upstairs end(and the pc cable coming from that filter).
Thanks...that works perfectly.

Seems it was just a matter of getting everything in the right order.

dilli-theclaw
28-12-2005, 13:24
When I had adsl I used a splitter downstairs with a filter off that (and the downstairs phone plugged in there) and an extention reel going upstairs with a filter plugged in the upstairs end(and the pc cable coming from that filter). Thanks...that works perfectly.

Seems it was just a matter of getting everything in the right order.np - Glad you got it sorted :)