PDA

View Full Version : Looking for satellite internet...

Martyn
28-12-2005, 02:22
I found a site ages ago where you can buy a dish/installation. ( was like 150£, if that helps! ) and run it from your current connection... does anyone know where does this?....

please!

thanks!

Ignition
28-12-2005, 02:33
Don't do it. Loads of usage caps, slow speeds, no upload provided it's all done by current connection.

HOWEVER if you are really that interested then...

http://www.teles-skydsl.co.uk/?action=switch_country&country=GB&langID=uk

Martyn
28-12-2005, 02:40
isnt that just ordering sky?...
:S..

theres one where u pay them for equpiment/isntallation n it runs of your home connection, so no need to pay them for net services..

Ignition
28-12-2005, 02:41
isnt that just ordering sky?...
:S..

theres one where u pay them for equpiment/isntallation n it runs of your home connection, so no need to pay them for net services..

That's nothing to do with Sky, have another looksie.

I don't understand, what's the point in having a satellite dish installed then doing nothing with it (which is all you can do if you aren't paying someone to use their services on it!).

If you are 'running it off your home connection' what's the point in having the dish there at all?

The SkyDSL product gives you a faster download but uses your existing connection for upload and other things depending on your needs.

Martyn
28-12-2005, 03:29
That's nothing to do with Sky, have another looksie. I don't understand, what's the point in having a satellite dish installed then doing nothing with it (which is all you can do if you aren't paying someone to use their services on it!). If you are 'running it off your home connection' what's the point in having the dish there at all? The SkyDSL product gives you a faster download but uses your existing connection for upload and other things depending on your needs. well the first thing i said which i want.. so i can have laptop in car/work/ every where * obviously* lol

Ignition
28-12-2005, 05:04
well the first thing i said which i want.. so i can have laptop in car/work/ every where * obviously* lol

Thread called 'Satellite Internet' and starting with

I found a site ages ago where you can buy a dish/installation. ( was like 150£, if that helps! ) and run it from your current connection... does anyone know where does this?....

Made things VERY confusing.

There is no such service as the one you are looking for.

There, easy :)

I should explain myself I guess.

1) To get a signal to a satellite needs a dish, so unless you plan on walking around with a 60m dish on your head things get difficult. This leaves wireless which is not pervasive and IF available will not use your home connection.
2) Even if you did walk around with a dish on your head the people whose satellite you are using will want paying for the bandwidth you are using on their transponder. Although again even if you were paying them they'd then backhaul you out onto the internet, not try and send you to your home connection (why make 2 bottlenecks for the price of 1?)
3) This service doesn't and will never exist, simply because it makes absolutely no sense to wirelessly connect to someone's network (which they let you do for free) to have them then send you to your home connection. It's doable, but you have to configure a way back home yourself, no service around paid or unpaid offers it at the mo as far as I'm aware.

daz300
28-12-2005, 10:58
hi

maybe you are looking for some thing like this (http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.view3Gdatacards)
a 3g data card for your pc ??:dozey: