PDA

View Full Version : Pitiful upload speeds

londoner252
26-12-2005, 11:03
Hi,
Are there any plans for NTL to address their pitiful upload speeds in 2006, or is it time to start looking for an alternative broadband service provider that can provide a better upload ratio?

Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m very happy with my download speeds (approx 270Kb/s) but an upload speed of 20Kb/s is pitifully slow and completely inadequate for my needs.

I also experiencing the same issues that other have reported on this forum, that the broadband service becomes unusable if Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m uploading anywhere close to the maximum speed, so in reality I have to throttle my uploads at 15Kb/s otherwise canââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t even surf. This gives an effective upload ratio of 1:18 for the NTL broadband service compared to a more reasonable 1:3 ratio that other providers say they can give for the same money.

I would like to stay with NTL (as it is a hassle to move ISP) but only if they have plans to address the poor upload performance, otherwise my New Year resolution will be to switch to a better broadband provider.

BBDL
26-12-2005, 11:10
hmmmm 1:3 ratio eh, who's offering that then. :erm:

Bill C
26-12-2005, 11:26
This gives an effective upload ratio of 1:18 for the NTL broadband service compared to a more reasonable 1:3 ratio that other providers say they can give for the same money.

If you are going to make statements like that it would be beneficial to give links so we can look at these providers as well.

I dont think they will be increasing there upload on 1 and 2 meg. 3 meg has just been made into 10 meg which has a 512k upload.

jrhnewark
26-12-2005, 14:38
I dont think they will be increasing there upload on 1 and 2 meg. 3 meg has just been made into 10 meg which has a 512k upload.Indeed. By UK standards, I'm looking forward to 512kbps.

Ignition
26-12-2005, 15:17
No plans to increase upload.

Can't actually think of anyone who offers a higher upload than 256k on 2Mbit either...

jrhnewark
26-12-2005, 18:22
No plans to increase upload.

Can't actually think of anyone who offers a higher upload than 256k on 2Mbit either...Well, Be's 24Mbps service offers 1.3Mbps (upto) - and that's cheaper than NTL's 2Mbps. :erm:

Bill C
26-12-2005, 18:33
Well, Be's 24Mbps service offers 1.3Mbps (up to) - and that's cheaper than NTL's 2Mbps. :erm:
They might offer it. but how many can get it ?:LOL:

Also i think the question was aimed and answerd for 2 meg ?

jrhnewark
26-12-2005, 18:51
They might offer it. but how many can get it ?:LOL:

Also i think the question was aimed and answerd for 2 meg ?True, but it does make NTL look mighty uncompetitive.

I think it was. :)

Fawkes
26-12-2005, 18:54
True, but it does make NTL look mighty uncompetitive.

Not if you live 2 miles from the exchange

jrhnewark
26-12-2005, 19:30
Not if you live 2 miles from the exchangeSeeing as though I live a mile from the exchange, it looks uncompetitive to me. Is that better? ;)

NTL hardly cabled rural areas, anyway!

Bill C
26-12-2005, 19:54
Seeing as though I live a mile from the exchange, it looks uncompetitive to me. Is that better? ;)

NTL hardly cabled rural areas, anyway!

So which rural exchange has BE in it :)

jrhnewark
26-12-2005, 20:03
So which rural exchange has BE in it :)I don't believe there are any, but that wasn't my point. My point was that although Be don't exactly have great rural coverage (e.g. over two miles from the exchange), nor do NTL.

Bill C
26-12-2005, 20:57
I don't believe there are any, but that wasn't my point. My point was that although Be don't exactly have great rural coverage (e.g. over two miles from the exchange), nor do NTL.

Well its great if you live in London. If you live where i do then they dont do my exchange till late next year.

Hard decision here.

Use a provider who is up and running or wait for a could be coming soon provider.

:LOL:

jrhnewark
26-12-2005, 21:06
Well its great if you live in London. If you live where i do then they dont do my exchange till late next year.

Hard decision here.

Use a provider who is up and running or wait for a could be coming soon provider.

:LOL:Is there a list of exchanges they're going to be enabling anywhere? :)

Bill C
26-12-2005, 21:09
Is there a list of exchanges they're going to be enabling anywhere? :)

You have to put a BT telephone number in on there website they then tell you when it will be ready.

As for a list never seen one. Might be coming soon :LOL:

Ignition
26-12-2005, 23:01
Well, Be's 24Mbps service offers 1.3Mbps (upto) - and that's cheaper than NTL's 2Mbps. :erm:

It's also not 24Mbps maxes at 21.5 if you live inside the exchange, and the upload roughly 1.1Mbps or so.

Which is a worse ratio than the 10:1 on ntl's products, and similar to the 20:1 ratio on the 10Mbit.

Personally I agree with you that upload speeds suck ass in the UK as a whole.

If you don't want ntl though go with whoever supplies you with the service you want, that way you don't have to have those pithy remarks about 'unlimited' in your user title and signature :)

If you want to point fingers at a badly asymettrical service look at BY's 10Mbit with its' massive 384kbps upload.

If the original poster finds 2Mbit / 200kbit is not satisfactory for his needs (I can speculate as to why he apparently needs to be uploading constantly at 15kB/s) then the 10Mbit / 512kbit service is an option however this does come with a 75GB/mth bandwidth limit.

Bill C
26-12-2005, 23:44
however this does come with a 75GB/mth bandwidth limit.
And that is a usage limit which mean's up as well as down which will not go down to well with the Torrent user's. That's why i use newsgroups i dont have to fill my upload all the time.

However that is not to everyones liking as you have to pay for access to a good Newsgroup server :)

JonathanLH
27-12-2005, 03:32
alternatively, could always get a leased line for about £300/mbit/month up and down :D

jrhnewark
27-12-2005, 12:41
Which is a worse ratio than the 10:1 on ntl's products, and similar to the 20:1 ratio on the 10Mbit. What's all this business about ratios? The raw figures look to be better.

If you don't want ntl though go with whoever supplies you with the service you want, that way you don't have to have those pithy remarks about 'unlimited' in your user title and signature :) Funnily enough, the 1 and 2Mbps services are going to be unlimited from any time soon. I'd like to think the pressures raised on this forum and others have aided that progress.

Chrysalis
27-12-2005, 19:48
True, but it does make NTL look mighty uncompetitive.

Not hard to offer more for less when you just cherry pick rich parts of london, if BE rolled out to even a 3rd of the country you would not be seeing those prices.

So its competitive when its a coming soon service that I cant have?

Bill C
27-12-2005, 20:21
Not hard to offer more for less when you just cherry pick rich parts of London, if BE rolled out to even a 3rd of the country you would not be seeing those prices.

So its competitive when its a coming soon service that I cant have?

Indeed :tu:

Do they include line rental with it or is that separate. if separate then that =

10.50 phone
24.99 adsl2+

Total =35.49

****I dont have to have a phone for cable modem **** before anyone brings that up

Now that still looks good till you factor in that anyone 1 km or above from the exchange will not get anywhere near those speeds.

Me i would sooner have my service i have at the moment. Works well and i dont have to worry anymore about what i download :)

What we have here is a case of they do it at this price so why not NTL. To follow that then NTL have caps should BE. ?

Ignition
28-12-2005, 00:53
What's all this business about ratios? The raw figures look to be better.

Funnily enough, the 1 and 2Mbps services are going to be unlimited from any time soon. I'd like to think the pressures raised on this forum and others have aided that progress.

Ratios of upload to download supplied are a measure of how asymettrical the connection is.

You can like to think that pressures raised on this and other forums aided progress I can assure you they did not. Commercial pressures along with upgraded capacity aided progress. The fact that a few hundred out of a userbase of well over 1 million complained vocally was somewhat irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Martyn
28-12-2005, 02:14
just by buisness connection... some places r v cheap dude!

Chrysalis
28-12-2005, 03:04
Haha you know I used bitcomet 2 days ago to grab some music for the first time in months I have used p2p and I already know why I hate it, now for 2 days solid after I killed the client I keep getting udp requests to the port it was using and my pc keeps trying to reply with icmp packets to port 3, it took me a few hours to realise what was going on I thought I had some trojan trying to do a DOS with icmp packets but its just a swarm of torrent users trying to recconect to me after I am long gone. :(

ToiletGamer
28-12-2005, 04:56
I was going to make a thread asking this but this thread seems an OK place to ask.

Does anybody know what the upload speeds for NTL's 1Meg and there 2Meg service are? I am on 1 Meg at the moment but im looking to upgrade and the upload is terrible for playing online games but I was wondering what advantage switching to 2 Meh would have of if I should just switch ISP to somebody who can offer high Upload speeds.

JonathanLH
28-12-2005, 07:47
1mbps down, 100kbps up - unmetered (or will be soon)
2mbps down, 200kbps up - unmetered (or will be soon)
10mbps down, 512kbps up - 75GB/month

ToiletGamer
28-12-2005, 08:49
Thanks!

Yep a double in upload speed is worth paying more for. And the news that both the 1 Meg and 2 Meg services will become unmetered makes the deal that much sweeter.

Chrysalis
28-12-2005, 09:55
What games you talking about, providing you dont use your connection for anything else whilst playing I wouldnt expect any latency improvements with an upgrade unless of course you are serving games which needs more bandwidth.

londoner252
28-12-2005, 14:05
Many thanks for all the replies, after a bit of googling I think that I'll switch to UK-Online who provide an unlimited 8Mb download and 768Kb Upload for the same money as NTL's pitifull 2Mb service (I may even stretch to the 22Mb service for a few quid more).

http://www.ukonline.net/broadband/comparisononnet.php

I'll probably switch the TV and telephone services to another provider as well, since the main reason for me subscribing to cable was for the broadband services that were better than anything else around at the time.

Many thanks to all that replied

ToiletGamer
29-12-2005, 03:26
I share my connection with others, thats why I need the upgrade.

SnoopZ
29-12-2005, 11:55
Many thanks for all the replies, after a bit of googling I think that I'll switch to UK-Online who provide an unlimited 8Mb download and 768Kb Upload for the same money as NTL's pitifull 2Mb service (I may even stretch to the 22Mb service for a few quid more).

http://www.ukonline.net/broadband/comparisononnet.php

I'll probably switch the TV and telephone services to another provider as well, since the main reason for me subscribing to cable was for the broadband services that were better than anything else around at the time.

Many thanks to all that replied

I'm assuming you currently have an Ntl phone line. You will have to get a Bt line put in if you want UK Online. Also how far from the exchange are you ? As you might not even get 2Mb let alone 8Mb.