PDA

View Full Version : Issued a fine for a car I no longer own

ZrByte
24-12-2005, 10:56
As per the title, I have been issued a fine for a car wich I sold well over a month ago. The fine is dated the 25/11/05 and it seems as though it would be a straightforward matter to correct this. However, I cant seem to find the yellow supplement from the v5 and my notification letter has not arrived yet showing that the vehicle has changed hands officially on the dvla database (typical dvla, vehicle changed hands over 5 weeks ago :mad: ). Ive also checked the registration here (http://www.rac.co.uk/web/carbuying/vehicle_data_search/) and the date the last keeper took ownership is when I bought the car back in october of last year.
On the letter it is stated that I need proof that the vehicle is no longer in my posession to cancel the fine, how would I go about getting this proof if I cant find the above mentioned yellow slip or notification letter?
Thanks in advance people.

Russ
24-12-2005, 10:58
What sort of fine is it?

Xaccers
24-12-2005, 10:59
Are you able to contact the person who bought the vehicle from you?

ZrByte
24-12-2005, 11:05
What sort of fine is it?

Parking fine, £60 - parked or loading/unloading in a restricted street where waiting and loading/unloading restrictions are in force.
This was in Rhyl, wich is close'ish to the auction where the car was sold but somewhere I havent been for about 15 years.

Are you able to contact the person who bought the vehicle from you?

Not directly, though I may be able to contact them through the auction who sold it on my behalf. Problem being that this auction is closed until the new year apparently.

Xaccers
24-12-2005, 11:09
Will they put the fine on hold for a month to give you time to sort things out?

poolking
24-12-2005, 11:10
I'd chase up the DVLA for another notification letter. I wouldn't contact the new owner of the car.

ZrByte
24-12-2005, 11:12
Will they put the fine on hold for a month to give you time to sort things out?

Good question, there is no mention of anything like that in the letter that I can see, though to be honest I have only just got it and havent had a chance to read through it fully.
I just cant believe this person who bought my car couldnt go a whole 2 days of ownership without getting some sort of parking fine (and im a little worried that this might just be the first).

Xaccers
24-12-2005, 11:15
Yeah it may well be.
Write to the address on the ticket, give them as much detail as you can about the sale, such as the auction (do they give a lot number/transaction number so they can confirm the sale?)

ZrByte
24-12-2005, 11:38
I'd chase up the DVLA for another notification letter. I wouldn't contact the new owner of the car.

Well I havent had the first notification letter yet and as I say according to the DVLA database I am still the current owner, I know when they finally process the new owner slip the dates will match etc but until then Im a little stuck.
I think the DVLA will be my first port of call though, The followed closeley by the coucil that issued the ticket.

Yeah it may well be.
Write to the address on the ticket, give them as much detail as you can about the sale, such as the auction (do they give a lot number/transaction number so they can confirm the sale?)

That is one of my main problems at the moment, all of my details where with my yellow slip (former keeper slip I think its called) from the v5c. This included the lot number, date of sale etc. I have a phone number for the auction so I can get this information, my only problem will be time, as I know this auction is closed until 2nd Jan.
I may even still have all this information somewhere, my only problem seems to be that since I tidying up the house for christmas, these and some other relevant documents seem to have gone to that famous safe place where everything you ever need only seems to go when you need it.

Escapee
24-12-2005, 16:27
I had a similar problem many years ago, although I had sent off my little part of the old V5.

The new owner didn't bother to send the V5 back to change the details and I ended up getting a load of parking tickets, I sorted that out but then months later I got a letter from the police because the vehicle had been abandoned on a road with double yellow lines. They had towed it away and wanted me to pay, I didn't know too much about the guy who bought my car but I did find out that he didn't have a driving licence, so no insurance either.

I wasn't worried about all the fines, it was just the hassle factor writing to them about each one.:mad:

iain_herts
24-12-2005, 17:01
years ago we had something like that. we had a car sold it and that was that a few years later my dad passes away and 6 month's later we get a letter from the council saying our car(old1) was towed away abounded round the corner from us asking for money. mum sent a letter telling them and since that didnt hear any thing else