PDA

View Full Version : Installation gone bad

tokyo jimmi
22-12-2005, 14:49
hi im new to this forum

ive been an ntl bb customer for a couple of years now and have had no problems with it at all, they even did a good job on the installation for the bb.
But we decided the other week to covert over to the full dtv, bb and phone package as ntl offered us a very good deal. the installation team was booked to come and install the dtv and phone last friday, one bloke turned up as promised and asked me where we wanted things to go, as soon as i told him he then tried to get me to move everything around so it would be easier for him, i said no thanks we want to keep everything where it is.
so off he goes looking round the front of the house he comes back an says that he can use where the old RF cable went to get the cable to the stb so he doesnt have to drill any holes so i said ok if he thinks that will work. so i left him to it he installed the stb then the phone how i ask, he got the tv working properly but as soon as he left i started flicking through the channels
and nearly all came up with the message smart card error.
so i switched the stb box off then back on, but the box never came back on it just said tune so after 30mins trying to get it to work i rang cs who said that they would send an engineer back to us within 1hr, no one turned up.
so rang cs again and arranged for someone to come to us on tues morning which they did the ntl tech took one look at the work and nearly died, the installation engineer had used the old RF cable to connect the stb to the outside box instead of just using its holes where it ran through the front of the house plus he hadnt even activated the package, so the ntl tech rang his manager and said that they could get an team out to us that same day but no one came, we rang cs again and where told they would be out to us weds morning but again no one showed up, so we rang again and got put through to the installation department and where told that they had sent engineers out to us but no one was in which is total rubbish so we where told by them that the supervisor had booked the job in to be done today first thing today. we've told them that if no one shows up then we will cancel it and go some where else, and suprise suprise no one has shown up.
where do ntl get these people from? i was told by the ntl tech that they sub contract the installation work out, i think its about time ntl got a different company to do the installation.

chrisjones
22-12-2005, 14:55
Bloody ell that stinks! You have every right to get out of the contract from an ethical point of view, but im willing to bet NTL will look at it totally different. A good tip is to get Citizens advice involved, one call from them usually puts the crappers up most companies... failing that (and sorry to any NTL guys on here) call ups CS ask to be put thru to a senior member of staff and rip thier ears off and demand some form of compensation.

UncleBooBoo
22-12-2005, 14:56
Took NTL 3 months to get my services installed from the time I ordered it and they used my old tv coax cable too! :dunce:

tokyo jimmi
22-12-2005, 15:03
we havent actualy signed and sent the contract back to ntl if that makes any difference?

orangebird
22-12-2005, 16:19
we havent actualy signed and sent the contract back to ntl if that makes any difference?

Doesn't matter if you have or haven't signed it - you are not receiving the service you should be, therefore you have every right to cancel if you wish.

MovedGoalPosts
22-12-2005, 16:25
:welcome: tokyo jimmi to Cable Forum :D

Sorry to see you have had the run around from ntl. You are of course entitled to cancel your contract as ntl have got is so wrong. If you do want to give them a final crack at the whip, Cable Forum might be able to help.

Cable Forum has some senior contacts with ntl. We can raise this with them on your behalf if you like. If you wish to PM some details, that will only be held by CF until we know the issue has been resolved, we will see what can be sorted.

We need:
Account holder name,
Address including postcode
Account No (as on bills), assuming one has been issued
DAYTIME phone number (ntl will want to contact you)
email addy
Full details of what has actually occurred, with dates.

chrisjones
22-12-2005, 17:59
As good as it is of Rob C to help out, he really should have to go to all this trouble to get this sorted out.
Really twists my melons how such big companies can get away with treating customers in this manner and seemingly get away with it.
Ah well we live in hope, I suppose we have to rely on the nice ppl like Rob to help out. ;-)