PDA

View Full Version : total newbie.. How to get started with PS2?

chrisjones
21-12-2005, 18:02
Hi.
Ok so I got me a PS2 slimline, 2mb ethernet NTL connection.. do I need anything else to get my PS2 online?? Sorry for the simple question, this is new to me.

daz300
21-12-2005, 19:00
hi chris
i thnk you can just plug in a ethernet cable rj45 in to the back of you ps2 then the other end in to your ntl connection and the ps2 will work it all out , i thnk

all so i know a chris jones !! my best mate as it happens .

chrisjones
22-12-2005, 09:11
SO your saying I plug my PS2 directly into my NTL modem?

Stephen
22-12-2005, 09:44
Unless you already have a PC plugged in then you will need to get a router as well.

chrisjones
22-12-2005, 12:08
so providing I dont have the PC plugged into the modem all I have to do is run the PS2 direct to the Modem? Do I need to have any loggin details (pin etc..) to hand ready for the PS2?

Neil
22-12-2005, 13:22
so providing I dont have the PC plugged into the modem all I have to do is run the PS2 direct to the Modem? Do I need to have any loggin details (pin etc..) to hand ready for the PS2?

You will need to power off the modem & reboot it before you power the PS2 on.

[Edit] - http://uk.playstation.com/networkgaming/support.jhtml

chrisjones
22-12-2005, 15:00
Thanks.. before I get all trigger happy, are there any known side effects from switching the modem between a PS2 and Laptop. Reason I ask is I REALLY depend on the connection being stable to my laptop when I use it.
Cheers!

Neil
22-12-2005, 15:59
Thanks.. before I get all trigger happy, are there any known side effects from switching the modem between a PS2 and Laptop. Reason I ask is I REALLY depend on the connection being stable to my laptop when I use it.
Cheers!

No issues. :)

chrisjones
22-12-2005, 18:00
Cheers, bring it on! lol

hoggyspuds
28-12-2005, 22:09
Cheers, bring it on! lol

So...let me get my head around this......unplug pc from modem, plug ethernet cable into ps2, and off you go? As simple as that?...Where's the cost apply? :dunce:

mr0161
29-12-2005, 14:24
There is no cost, thats why i love the PS2, only the Xbox, makes you pay to go online, but the PS2 is free for online gaming, only two of the PS2 online games makes you pay, PS2 let the game makers do what they do, if they want to make you pay or not, but only 2 of the games did that, the rest are free, and there is like 60 games online or so.

But if you got a xbox, then you have to pay xbox, and get there gold pack ****, if you have a PS2, just do what they said, unplug, get the PS2 adatper, plug in, and thats it, use the disc as well, to set it up(comes with the adatper)

But just remember about the PS2, they say, the game makers can make you pay, but the game will say on the back of the box, if they want to make you pay, which only 2 games have done that so far.

And another thing about the PS2, at the back of the box, it always says stuff like "We can shut the online mode in 30 days if we want" as you don't pay for it, they can do that if they wanted too, in 30 days.

But they never do most of the time, but i'd rather not pay £50 a year like the xbox, and just play for free