PDA

View Full Version : Adobe photoshop question

Ramrod
25-06-2003, 19:18
I am trying to produce an avatar image for this site and have cropped and re-sized the chosen picture. My problem is that it now has a black border around it and I cannot seem to find a way of changing it to white so that it blends in with the white surrounding the object in the pic.
Any ideas?

Ramrod
25-06-2003, 19:56
heeelp?:D

Xaccers
25-06-2003, 20:04
Reduce canvase size to the same size as image :)

Photoshop can be too clever.
Best bet it to start with the original image, and if you want the whole thing, just resize image.
If you want part of the original, select the bit you want, then ctrl C it to copy
Open a new document (it should be the same size as the bit you just copied) and paste.
Then resize the new image and "save a copy as" to get jpg/gif

Ramrod
25-06-2003, 20:19
Ta, I'm not sure if I understand all of that bit I'll have a play:)
Then I need to figure out how to import it to this forum....:D

Graham
25-06-2003, 21:16
Try using the rectangular "Area Select" tool to pick out the area you want and then select "Image/ Crop".

Ramrod
25-06-2003, 21:21
As you can tell, it worked. Thanks peeps:D

Xaccers
25-06-2003, 22:01
its what we're here for :)

rmlaundon
26-06-2003, 09:43
if you are using photoshop, how about putting the image onto a transparant background so you don't get any white around it? Fits in with any background color so if they decide to change the scheme here it would still look ok

Ramrod
26-06-2003, 10:37
Originally posted by rmlaundon
if you are using photoshop, how about putting the image onto a transparant background so you don't get any white around it? Fits in with any background color so if they decide to change the scheme here it would still look ok
I will look into it:)
btw....how does one get a gif resized, I presume photoshop is no good for manipulating gif's?

Xaccers
26-06-2003, 10:45
photoshop is great at manipulating gifs.
Open photoshop, then open the gif (if you're getting the problem I have where I can't go from the gif file and "open with" photoshop)

Chris
26-06-2003, 10:51
Originally posted by Ramrod
I will look into it:)
btw....how does one get a gif resized, I presume photoshop is no good for manipulating gif's?

Best bet for resizing gifs is to use File > Save for Web (unfortunately, Photoshop 6 / 7 only, afaik).

You get an image preview in the centre of the screen, and controls on the right that allow you to change the number of colours in the image and the image size in pixels. Any changes you make are seen immediately you click the 'apply' button so you can quickly try out a number of different sizes. (if it's at all relevant, at the bottom of the screen it will also tell you approx. download times for your image at the size and colour depth you've chosen) Once you're happy with your modifications, clicking OK saves a copy of the image without overwriting your original.

willie
26-06-2003, 11:34
Why not use a transparent gif such as the one below
Download Failed (1)
:D :D

Ramrod
26-06-2003, 11:37
Originally posted by Web Junkie
Why not use a transparent gif such as the one below
http://www.freetechelp.org/yinyang.gif
:D :D
well I think my version looks better :p :D

willie
26-06-2003, 11:43
well I think my version looks better :p :D

The only real difference is on the one i done all the white background was removed so will just show the image no matter what background it is on without any white box showing around it. :p :p :D

Ramrod
26-06-2003, 12:41
I presume photoshop is no good for manipulating gif's?
sorry....I actualy meant animated gifs

Xaccers
26-06-2003, 12:46
try the gif construction kit (can't remember where to get it, search on google)

rmlaundon
26-06-2003, 12:47
to do animated gifs, you will need a programme like the Microsoft Gif Animator (available from http://www.idp.net/freesoft/gif_anim.asp) or similar programme. just a case of creating separate images then linking together to produce the animation

Ramrod
26-06-2003, 13:03
Originally posted by rmlaundon
to do animated gifs, you will need a programme like the Microsoft Gif Animator (available from http://www.idp.net/freesoft/gif_anim.asp) or similar programme. just a case of creating separate images then linking together to produce the animation
ta m8:)

rmlaundon
26-06-2003, 13:11
np