peachey
05-11-2003, 09:03
Ikea is opening in Cardiff tommorow

any reflections or thoughts on this?

paulyoung666
05-11-2003, 09:23

its a bit too far for me to travel from the north east , but i love going to ikea up here , some of the stuff they have is brilliant , and you cant beat a hotdog on the way out :p :p :p :p :p

dialanothernumb
05-11-2003, 09:26

Ikea quality is variable, but I don't think you are ever ripped off. It's either cheap but crap or cheap and good, never expensive and crap. Their kitchens are excellent except for the worktops and their cutlery and crockery ranges are superb value. Expect no more that 5-10 years use of the furniture, as a rule and you won't be disappointed.
NEVER, NEVER go to Ikea during the weekend. It is far too crowded and unpleasant. The best time to go (take a day off work) is about 10 am on a tuesday-Thursday

peachey
05-11-2003, 09:32
Ikea quality is variable, but I don't think you are ever ripped off. It's either cheap but crap or cheap and good, never expensive and crap. Their kitchens are excellent except for the worktops and their cutlery and crockery ranges are superb value. Expect no more that 5-10 years use of the furniture, as a rule and you won't be disappointed.
NEVER, NEVER go to Ikea during the weekend. It is far too crowded and unpleasant. The best time to go (take a day off work) is about 10 am on a tuesday-Thursday

was at the one in bristol once and it was so crowded they were stopping people coming in there

good stuff in there tho

and you always manage to come out with a candle

chambece
05-11-2003, 09:46
was at the one in broistol once and it was so crowded they were stopping people coming in there

good stuff in there tho

We've got one in Nottingham, and I like it - bought a fair amount of stuff from them, and although I have had a couple of problems with stuff from them, returning it is never a problem.

Example - woodwork in our living room is stained with their green woodstain, dadoe rails, door frames, window sills etc Bought a plain table to stain, and did it all in the garage to avoid getting stain on the carpet. This was a while after. Take everything back into the house, and oh look - it's a completly different shade of green, and it's not due to the wood or anything, and they look, well ridiculous. Give them a call, "oh yes, we've changed the shades" but they still let me take them back, swap them, and give me £25 voucher for my wasted time! OK, so I did moan a little, but the outcome wasn't to bad...

That's the other thing - they do tend to stop ranges without warning (but then again, they're not going to send me a letter saying '18 months ago you bought a Yellow "Robin" CD rack - we are going to discontinue these soon, just thought we'd let you know!' So as a result of us finding out, we have one still unassembled in it box in the garage

dialanothernumb
05-11-2003, 10:08

God, that is soooo true. Glad we're not the only ones....

paulyoung666
05-11-2003, 10:12
God, that is soooo true. Glad we're not the only ones....

same here as well , or a candle holder of some description :shocked:

gary_580
05-11-2003, 10:13
its a bit too far for me to travel from the north east , but i love going to ikea up here , some of the stuff they have is brilliant , and you cant beat a hotdog on the way out :p :p :p :p :p

Ohhh yes, go in the morning and get the breakfast on the way in and then the hot dog on the way out, ohhh and dont forget your daims!!

furniture??? do they sell furniture?? :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

paulyoung666
05-11-2003, 10:43
Ohhh yes, go in the morning and get the breakfast on the way in and then the hot dog on the way out, ohhh and dont forget your daims!!

furniture??? do they sell furniture?? :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

the ikea at gateshead does a bacon or sausage bun and tea or coffee for £1 , bargain i reckon and free refills :tu: :p :p :p :p

chambece
05-11-2003, 12:02
the ikea at gateshead does a bacon or sausage bun and tea or coffee for £1 , bargain i reckon and free refills :tu: :p :p :p :p

Yeah, I must admiot we always get a hotdog too - or sometimes we actually go to the resturant.....

Strange how most comments have been on the food rather than the furniture....

"I don't mind Ikea, but I prefer Burger King" ;)

paulyoung666
05-11-2003, 12:22
Yeah, I must admiot we always get a hotdog too - or sometimes we actually go to the resturant.....

Strange how most comments have been on the food rather than the furniture....

"I don't mind Ikea, but I prefer Burger King" ;)

i must admit i have never bought furniture from ikea , but the quality seems good enough for me if i ever do buy some , oh and btw it has to be a large hotdog not a small one ;)

Mr_Burns
05-11-2003, 18:09
I bought quite a bit from IKEA when I bought my first house (because I'm lazy and it meant I could get most of the stuff I needed in one shopping trip). Nothing has fallen apart yet!

I'm not sure about the position of the one in Cardiff - traffic is going to be a chuffin' nightmare. I dread to think what it's going to be like tomorrow considering I have to drive past it to get to and from work :(

peachey
07-11-2003, 22:22
I bought quite a bit from IKEA when I bought my first house (because I'm lazy and it meant I could get most of the stuff I needed in one shopping trip). Nothing has fallen apart yet!

I'm not sure about the position of the one in Cardiff - traffic is going to be a chuffin' nightmare. I dread to think what it's going to be like tomorrow considering I have to drive past it to get to and from work :(

went down there this afternoon
and the traffic was suprisingly light
(probably heat up on the weekend)

it's stacks bigger than the one in bristol with a much bigger car park
and there were loads of spaces spare

and there is a mega sized restaurant in there

and a sort of whopping sized snack bar - with the hot dogs - on the way out

Miraculously I came out candle free - but with a lamp of a weird shape - which I later discovered did not have a bulb in it - ah well - meatballs next week too then as I seek out the odd screw type fitting bulb required

Tricky
08-11-2003, 12:50
Thing I'll say about IKEA - There furniture might be flatpack but once it's together it stays together something that you cannot say about MFI etc.

My computer desk rocks (not in the shakey sense!) from there
I've also got:
5x Billy bookcases
2x Computer Trolleys
1x Coffee table
Numerous Picture frames

Only thing I've been disapointed with is there knifes & forks!

Stuart
08-11-2003, 13:01
The only thing I don't like from Ikea is the lighting. They don't stick to one style of bulb! Where as before, our electrical odds and sods drawer had just a couple of screwdrivers, a few assorted fuses, a couple of batteries and a couple of bulbs, it has to have bulbs with three or four different kinds of fittings now..

Also bought other furniture there. The TV stand I have (called Jaspar IIRC) is basically two thick beach wood planks (an inch and a half thick) on four wheels. The top is held up by a beachwood back, and a couple of steel tubes at the front. This stand manages to take the weight of my TV (about 15 stone according to the manual) without a single movement, or even a sound..

The trouble is, the bloody thing is so heavy, that even with the wheels, no one can move it.

Undisputedtruth
08-11-2003, 13:45
Though I very much like IKEA, I prefer not to buy all my furniture from them. Otherwise, I just become another IKEA clone without having a personality of my own.

Paul
08-11-2003, 13:52
I have bought a few items from Ikea over the years and all are still "in service". :)

Chimaera
08-11-2003, 16:41
I was thinking of getting a couple of tall Billy bookcases with the doors - judging by the comments here I think I will go and order! :)

TigaSefi
08-11-2003, 18:14
me too.. £238 ones ? hehe I getting it in January when me credits bills have been paid.... it'll put paid to my son pulling everything off the shelves :D

Sipowicz
08-11-2003, 18:30
Went to the one at Wednesbury for a look, cost me £50!
Just looking she said.........
The kids loved the food and it is cheap; Chicken nuggets and chips for £1!!
Meatballs, chips and gravy! I have never had chips with gravy before....

paulyoung666
08-11-2003, 18:34
Went to the one at Wednesbury for a look, cost me £50!
Just looking she said.........
The kids loved the food and it is cheap; Chicken nuggets and chips for £1!!
Meatballs, chips and gravy! I have never had chips with gravy before....

never had chips with gravy :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: , you cant be a northener then :p :p :p :p :p , must admit the food is spot on for the price :tu: