PDA

View Full Version : quitting smoking

Bex
03-11-2003, 23:41
ok so i have decided the time has come to try to give up smoking :(.......on my birthday this year i will have smoked for 8years and i think maybe it is time to quit....

so today i have cut down.....normally i am a 20 a day smoker, and so far i've had 7.......

anyone given up smoking and have any hints?

p.s. i warn you as i am cutting down/giving up i might get a bit moody...so watch out for the big bad bitch bexy :p

Paul K
03-11-2003, 23:43
Chew gum etc, keep yourself occupied and take it one day at a time. Not that I have given up smoking but I stayed off the beer for 4 months once LOL

Bex
03-11-2003, 23:46
Chew gum etc, keep yourself occupied and take it one day at a time. Not that I have given up smoking but I stayed off the beer for 4 months once LOL

apaprently chewing gum gives you ulcers.......i gave up for a year......found that sucking lollies helped to begin with, beause its more to do with hacing something to do with your hands.......no rude comments please :naughty:

peachey
03-11-2003, 23:47
apaprently chewing gum gives you ulcers.......i gave up for a year......found that sucking lollies helped to begin with, beause its more to do with hacing something to do with your hands.......no rude comments please :naughty:

I had given up for a year then started to see someone who smoked and promptly caved in

it is a complex issue

Bex
03-11-2003, 23:50
I had given up for a year then started to see someone who smoked and promptly caved in

it is a complex issue

yes thats another issue.....he smokes :(

peachey
03-11-2003, 23:52
yes thats another issue.....he smokes :(

yeah - but not that many

I also drink
and have the occasional punt on the horses

philip.j.fry
03-11-2003, 23:54
I found the patches to work really well, I didn't get any withdrawal when using them. You can get them on the NHS which is a bonus, just go see the doctor :)

Bex
03-11-2003, 23:54
yeah - but not that many

huh? :erm:

peachey
03-11-2003, 23:55
I found the patches to work really well, I didn't get any withdrawal when using them. You can get them on the NHS which is a bonus, just go see the doctor :)

the only way patches work properly is to stick them over your mouth

alternatively, take up scuba diving

Bex
03-11-2003, 23:59

cheers for that philip might just do that.....

peachy scuba diving wtf?????????????? :shrug:

danielf
03-11-2003, 23:59
As far as I'm concerned, you are starting the right way by cutting down rather than quitting cold turkey.

I don't really believe in patches, as you think your doing allright by not smoking, but you're still getting the nicotine. In my opinion, you're better off knowing where you stand addiction wise.

I agree with keeping yourself busy. When you get cravings, go for a walk or something like that.

If you smoke in the house, you might want to consider going outside if you want to smoke, as it might help in breaking the automatism of lighting up.

I find a stock of sweets/liquorice is indispensable. Don't know about the gum.

I still smoke, but these are some of the lessons I learnt from attempts to stop.

peachey
04-11-2003, 00:00
cheers for that philip might just do that.....

peachy scuba diving wtf?????????????? :shrug:

difficult to smoke underwater - doh

a practical technique to giving up is just have the occasional one after sex

i found I was down to under 10 a day in no time

Bex
04-11-2003, 00:02
danielf ta for the advise....last time i gave up i found cutting down helped and lollipops......but last time i gave up cos my ex faince wanted me too....this time it is my decision

Bex
04-11-2003, 00:03
a practical technique to giving up is just have the occasional one after sex
i found I was down to under 10 a day in no time

guess it just depends on who much sex you have :naughty:

peachey
04-11-2003, 00:05
danielf ta for the advise....last time i gave up i found cutting down helped and lollipops......but last time i gave up cos my ex faince wanted me too....this time it is my decision

seriously tho

that zyban stuff will help

as it is sort of linked to an antidepressant sort of thing

make a fuss at the doctors if you are after it as it is fairly pricey to prescribe and they do not want to waste their budget on a non-quitter

Bex
04-11-2003, 00:06
zyban?

edit: nope just found out it's a pill....wont take pills.....only pill i will take are essential ones....sounds tupid but im not putting chemicals into my body..hence giving up smoking

danielf
04-11-2003, 00:13
zyban?

It's a drug, which helps you quit. I don't know much about it, but I gather you have to take it for quite a while.

Try a google.

Bex
04-11-2003, 00:16
courtesy of paul http://www.zyban.com/zp_1000.html

Ramrod
04-11-2003, 00:46
Chew gum etc, keep yourself occupied and take it one day at a time. Not that I have given up smoking but I stayed off the beer for 4 months once LOLI stayed off booze for one year once.:erm:

Bex
04-11-2003, 00:52
I stayed off booze for one year once.:erm:

i can't drink atm either :bigcry: prolly not a good time to give up smoking then :erm:

danielf
04-11-2003, 01:02
i can't drink atm either :bigcry: prolly not a good time to give up smoking then :erm:

It depends. Drinking makes quitting smoking a lot harder. I.e. it's really hard to not smoke when going to the pub. Then again, you don't want to set yourself too many tasks. Focus on one. Don't try to quit smoking, drinking and loosing weight at the same time as chances are you won't succeed on either.

Ramrod
04-11-2003, 01:05
i can't drink atm either :bigcry: prolly not a good time to give up smoking then :erm:Hell no!

Ramrod
04-11-2003, 01:05
It depends. Drinking makes quitting smoking a lot harder. I.e. it's really hard to not smoke when going to the pub. Then again, you don't want to set yourself too many tasks. Focus on one. Don't try to quit smoking, drinking and loosing weight at the same time as chances are you won't succeed on either.I never go to pubs, always drink at home.....probably not a good sign....

danielf
04-11-2003, 01:09
I never go to pubs, always drink at home.....probably not a good sign....

Do you smoke/have you smoked Ramrod?

You should get out more anyway :p

Nor
04-11-2003, 01:11
zyban?

edit: nope just found out it's a pill....wont take pills.....only pill i will take are essential ones....sounds tupid but im not putting chemicals into my body..hence giving up smoking

Yeah why take a pill to help you stop smoking, probably be bad for you or something.

danielf
04-11-2003, 01:17
Yeah why take a pill to help you stop smoking, probably be bad for you or something.
:rofl:

Ramrod
04-11-2003, 01:23
Do you smoke/have you smoked Ramrod?

You should get out more anyway :pNo, never smoked. Yes, probably should get out more but I subscribe to Daoist theories on living life.

Nemesis
04-11-2003, 09:10
Bexy,

No matter how you do it, patches, sweets, sex !!(thats a new one), walking, pills .... it's the mind that ultimately does it ... the others just help a bit. If you really WANT to give up you will.

No matter ... I wish you the best of luck. :)

Bex
04-11-2003, 10:27
Bexy,

No matter how you do it, patches, sweets, sex !!(thats a new one), walking, pills .... it's the mind that ultimately does it ... the others just help a bit. If you really WANT to give up you will.

No matter ... I wish you the best of luck. :)

thank you nemmy :kiss:

i know how hard it is, but i don't want to smoke for the rest of my life, and so i just decided....i just keep thinking of the money i am going to save.....we are talking nearly 100quid a month

Ramrod
04-11-2003, 10:30
i just keep thinking of the money i am going to save.....we are talking nearly 100quid a month:shocked: Thats all the insentive I would need!

mixteus
04-11-2003, 10:41
Hypnotherapy.

I smoked for approx 14 years, to the end of my smoking career! I was upto 40 a day.

What made me decide to give up was waking up in the morning wheezing.Having seen my Father die from Emphycema, I decided enough was enough.

Not being that strong willed i decided to quit with the help of Hypnotherapy.I have not smoked for 3.5 years,what a relief.

Go for it, you have everything to gain :tu:

mixteus
04-11-2003, 10:43
Bexy,

I was doing £240 a month, it is not the money but think of your health!

aliferste
04-11-2003, 13:21
BEXY!!

Smoking is a habit. You dont break habits you replace them with something else. Start buying normal chewing gum......chew some gum every time you feel like a ciggy!

You will be over it in no time :)

Dont kid yourslef on that only having 7 cigs today is good........you need to stop altogether!

danielf
04-11-2003, 13:47
BEXY!!

Smoking is a habit. You dont break habits you replace them with something else. Start buying normal chewing gum......chew some gum every time you feel like a ciggy!

You will be over it in no time :)

Dont kid yourslef on that only having 7 cigs today is good........you need to stop altogether!

It's a bit more than a habit, it's an addiction. And no, you're not over it in no time. Last time I tried to quit, I still had cravings after 6 weeks (when I gave in).

aliferste
04-11-2003, 17:46
It's a bit more than a habit, it's an addiction. And no, you're not over it in no time. Last time I tried to quit, I still had cravings after 6 weeks (when I gave in).

Tobbaco only stays in your body for a few days....it is the mental habit you must break!

Dont be so nagative......You still had cravings as your mind was still addicted to the habit :) which is why you need to break the habit. The times you want a ciggy all you do is sit and think about wanting a ciggy...you need to go and do something else so you are focussing that thought elsewhere.

You can only stop if you want to stop.

Bulky
04-11-2003, 17:54
good luck Bexy, i have been clean now for just over nine months after smoking for over 10 years :shocked: (didn't feel that long ,started when i was 15 ) i used the patches and found them very helpful, but you must want to quit as i have tried patches before and found them crap, for some reason this time i just knew i would do it, even though everyone (including my girlfriend) said i wouldn't.

go for it, just remember how disappointed you were with yourself when you started smoking again and think how much money you'll save :) :tu: :tu:

Bex
04-11-2003, 18:50
<snippity snip>good luck Bexy, go for it, just remember how disappointed you were with yourself when you started smoking again and think how much money you'll save :) :tu: :tu:

thank you for your words.......
yes i was disappointed when i started smoking again, but i did it to prove a point to someone..........and the money will come in handy :D

as for hypnotherapy.....i do not actually agree with it....so will give that one a miss......

i know that i can give up smoking for several reasons.....1. i am a stubborn little madam and when i set my mind and something, nothing can normally stop in my way
2. not going into details but my faith
3. i just need to do it.........

Maggy
04-11-2003, 19:55
my sister decided to give hypnotherapy a try.she went straight out and bought a guitar. :shrug:

however eventually she gave up just using sheer will power.

i have to say that not having started this habit i do find it hard to understand what it must be like to give up.the nearest to it might be dieting,however
one has to eat to live which does tend to undermine one's attempts to go cold turkey with eating ;) .but going cold turkey with tobacco won't kill you(despite how crap you may feel).

anyway keep it up bexy and put what ever you save this week into children in need.that way you will feel very virtuous. ;)

incog. :wavey:

Bex
04-11-2003, 20:02
lol i am skint...........but once i get my job i will be putting the money i will save towards charity....prolly split it between cot death research and cancer research

Nor
04-11-2003, 20:04
You started smoking again to win a bet ? lol this gets better.

Bex
04-11-2003, 20:12
You started smoking again to win a bet ? lol this gets better.

me? :erm: was nothing to do with a bet

Nor
04-11-2003, 20:55
me? :erm: was nothing to do with a bet

Fair enough I must have misunderstood when you said

"yes i was disappointed when i started smoking again, but i did it to prove a point to someone..........and the money will come in handy :D "

Bex
04-11-2003, 20:59
Fair enough I must have misunderstood when you said

"yes i was disappointed when i started smoking again, but i did it to prove a point to someone..........and the money will come in handy :D "

i had an incredibly controlling fiance....he ordered me not to smoke, so the day i dumped him, first thing i did was light up a ciggy

Nor
04-11-2003, 21:02
Was just the money part that made me think it was a bet. Just thought to myself why would you be financially better off by starting smoking.

Theodoric
04-11-2003, 21:34
ok so i have decided the time has come to try to give up smoking :(.......on my birthday this year i will have smoked for 8years and i think maybe it is time to quit....
so today i have cut down.....normally i am a 20 a day smoker, and so far i've had 7.......
anyone given up smoking and have any hints?
p.s. i warn you as i am cutting down/giving up i might get a bit moody...so watch out for the big bad bitch bexy :p
No advice that will really help, I'm afraid. I did it because of a health scare. About 13 years ago, I suddenly developed a cough that wouldn't go away and I decided that enough was enough. I announced my intention to friends and framily so that it would be embarrassing to start smoking again. After that it was down to sheer, unadulterated willpower. And if anyone tells you that it's easy, they are lying in their teeth.

I'd say that the first 5 years are the worst. :)

Oh, and simply cutting down is no good. I tried that and:

a) You spend all your time looking at your watch waiting for the next cigarette to come around.

b) At the first sign of stress, the number of cigarettes smoked shoots up.

The good things about stopping smoking? Well, don't believe all that rubbish about things smelling better and food tasting nicer. In my experience, they won't. Oh, and you'll probably put on weight. However, you do save lots and lots of money and (I'll believe the doctors here) I've added a few years to my life span.

Paul
04-11-2003, 21:40
I gave up smoking in 1986 when I had a heavy cold. Smoking just made me feal worse so I chucked my fags in a corner and never touched them again. I still have them. :D

hobbie
04-11-2003, 21:50
I don't know what at the fuss is about -- quitting smoking is really easy.

Trust me --- I've done it hundreds of times. :LOL:

Bex
04-11-2003, 22:27
lol hobbie

aliferste
05-11-2003, 08:46
You will be able to watch the anti smoking horrific cancer adverst without wanting to turn over the channell!