PDA

View Full Version : New to NTL, 2mb service to be installed.. what to expect?

chrisjones
13-12-2005, 18:17
Hi all,
Interesting forum you have going on here, glad I stumbled across it. Ok so this saturday (between 12 and 5 pm apparently) im due to be hooked up to 2mb NTL. Im currently with 2mb Wanadoo on a BT line, but since im moving in with my GF im having to switch to NTL. So guys, what can I expect to happen on Saturday? The very polite lady on the phone was talking at a billion mph, added to that the line here was a little noisy, so I missed most of what she was saying. I will be hooking up to my laptop if that helps..

Oh and do you think its worth me running a full speed check before the fella coming to install leaves?

Neil
13-12-2005, 18:22
Don't let them leave until everything is working to your satisfaction.

:welcome: to the site.

BBDL
13-12-2005, 18:28
what can I expect to happen on Saturday?

Your worst nightmare. :p:

jk if all goes well you have no problems,if it doesn't see above :D

chrisjones
13-12-2005, 18:32
ahh crap.. now you got me wondering. Are there any common faults/issues during installation to watch out for?

Thanks for the prompt replies too!;)

Neil
13-12-2005, 18:35
ahh crap.. now you got me wondering. Are there any common faults/issues during installation to watch out for?

Thanks for the prompt replies too!;)

The most common is for 'engineers' to leave before your BB is working, with some old "it'll be working in a couple of hours, but if it doesn't come on ring CS" type chestnut. :rolleyes:

Don't say you weren't warned. ;)

chrisjones
13-12-2005, 18:48
So what your saying is DONT let them leave till it comes online? Padlock the door and put the kids on guard hehe :-)

Neil
13-12-2005, 18:57
So what your saying is DONT let them leave till it comes online? Padlock the door and put the kids on guard hehe :-)

Don't let them leave until everything is working to your satisfaction.

Paul
13-12-2005, 18:59
Expect it to all work as it should, in 99% of cases that is exactly what will happen. :)

Neil
13-12-2005, 19:02
Expect it to all work as it should, in 99% of cases that is exactly what will happen. :)

There are far too many horror stories on here of engineers leaving without the package working to say 99%. :nono:

I'm willing to bet a fiver summat goes wrong. ;)

chrisjones
13-12-2005, 19:02
Thanks for the help, what kind of download speeds can I expect?... lol sorry im all a buzz about the change hehe.. full of questions. I get around 210 to 230 on 2mb ADSL on my BT line.

PS1
13-12-2005, 22:08
There are far too many horror stories on here of engineers leaving without the package working to say 99%. :nono:

I'm willing to bet a fiver summat goes wrong. ;)

(IF YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT THE FIVER)then to stick up for us engineers here ill have that fiver with you!Cant resist a bet!!
However,im only betting on the problems being not on the modem installation side of things not the actuall config.of the pc etc!(as where i am we no longer set up the pc too)??
:D :D :D

chrisjones
13-12-2005, 22:55
Ah if thats the case, and its nothing tooooo difficult, im fairly handy with my laptop so there shouldnt be any issues *fingers crossed*. Sorry to blag on but are there any common software installation issues to look out for? I work insane hours (self employed) so finding the time to be home for engineers is near impossible, im trying to allow for every possible problem.. :erm:

poolking
14-12-2005, 08:08
one piece of advice, do not install any of the CDs from NTL

chrisjones
14-12-2005, 10:09
' one piece of advice, do not install any of the CDs from NTL..'

...Err by C.D's do you mean the 'extras' they give you OR the installation software?? :confused: :erm:

Rosanante1
14-12-2005, 11:20
I upgraded a few weeks ago from 1mb to 2mb. It involved a change of ST Box. The engineer told me I needed to activate the box using my code. I then spoke to NTL in Bombay! who completeley misunderstood my question. It took several phone calls to resolve the issue as it can only be activated from the UK. (During week days and before 8pm).
Moral of the story is, don't let the engineer go until you have successfully activated the box by telephone. Use option 4 to get through to a native English speaker. Job done!
Oh! and you need not reinstall the software as the old version works well enough.

chrisjones
14-12-2005, 12:07
Oh! and you need not reinstall the software as the old version works well enough.

.. thanks for your advice..... only im a new customer, not one upgrading ;)

ian@huth
14-12-2005, 12:42
' one piece of advice, do not install any of the CDs from NTL..'

...Err by C.D's do you mean the 'extras' they give you OR the installation software?? :confused: :erm:The only thing that you need from the installation CD's is the USB driver if you are connecting via USB. Ethernet is by far the best way of connecting and you do not need anything from the NTL CD's if you are going down this route.

chrisjones
14-12-2005, 12:49
Thanks, ok so right now I have my laptop and thats all. Do I need any extra kitt to connect via ethernet?

Nanook
14-12-2005, 15:49
If your laptop has an ethernet/LAN port then no you don't need any extra kit, use the network cable that will be supplied with your ntl modem. If your laptop only has USB, then use the USB cable that will be supplied with your ntl modem & the USB drivers from the supplied ntl disc. No need for the disc when using ethernet/LAN.

chrisjones
14-12-2005, 16:57
Just looked around the back of my laptop and there is a port marked {Ether} so im guessing that means im ready to go Ethernet wise? Sorry for all the tech questions, but having never connected via this method im interested to know how its better vs USB modem route?

Will my laptop automatically pick up the modem when I connect the Ethernet wire, will I need to enter details to connect?

Sorry im a pain in the ass I know.. im just keen to learn.

ian@huth
14-12-2005, 17:27
If you connect by USB you are using some of your computer's CPU resources to manage the connection. This means that less is available for other tasks. When you connect via ethernet the connection is managed by dedicated chips on the ethernet card.

There is a guide to setting up without using the NTL CD in the Articles section of this site. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=13

One of the site's members, Robin Walker, has an excellent site which has very useful troubleshooting tips. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/

chrisjones
14-12-2005, 17:42
Thanks for those links, much appreciated. Ok can I ask, whats so bad about the NTL CD's? Is there an installation set-up disk for both USB and Ethernet just incase I manage to duff things up? Im all for giving the the links above a try, but I need a *deffinate* connection asap as I run my business from home.

Again thanks for all the fantastic help/advice!

PS1
14-12-2005, 21:23
Its all very well and good people with computer experience saying things like "dont use any of the ntl software etc ",but for someone whos maybe just got themselves their first computer to have to try and understand things like ip addresses for registration and manuel set up procedures for pop servers etc?????????Not very fair at all !
Especially as the majority of these people that have just signed up to BB are expecting to be able to simply "access the internet" by the time an engineers done.
I think that all installs should be fully managed regardless of time taken to do so.This is not a rant or rave,just my point of view.Im sure this would cut down customer comlaints with bb?

poolking
14-12-2005, 21:39
Its all very well and good people with computer experience saying things like "dont use any of the ntl software etc ",but for someone whos maybe just got themselves their first computer to have to try and understand things like ip addresses for registration and manuel set up procedures for pop servers etc?????????Not very fair at all !
Especially as the majority of these people that have just signed up to BB are expecting to be able to simply "access the internet" by the time an engineers done.
I think that all installs should be fully managed regardless of time taken to do so.This is not a rant or rave,just my point of view.Im sure this would cut down customer comlaints with bb?

Have you actually read all of the threads from those that have installed the software from the NTL CDs?

PS1
14-12-2005, 21:43
you really are missing my point arent you!:confused:

poolking
14-12-2005, 21:49
you really are missing my point arent you!:confused:

Not really the last thing I would want if I were a new user would be to install a piece of software that would right royally screw up my system and cause me to panic.

If you are unsure of something all you have to do is ask.

chrisjones
14-12-2005, 22:39
What sort of issues have people had with the NTL software? I just wanna way up all the pros n cons before I go ahead and either A. Try the direct ethernet setup minus the software and risk screwing up my laptop OR B. play the safe way and use the NTL CD and err risk screwing up my laptop :-S

I realise there maybe other threads on this issue, but being new to NTL and cable connections I dont really know what to look for.

Graham M
14-12-2005, 22:46
How will going the Non-CD way screw your laptop up?

maverick
14-12-2005, 22:51
The ntl installer can throw up a few error messages when used,I would say though that the disc completes the registration far more times than it fails.

Any piece of software can give different error messages on different pc,s.

If you are going to connect using the ethernet connection then you may as well do it manually,bear in mind that you will have to set up your e.mail account manually if your not using the disc.

ian@huth
15-12-2005, 09:48
I think that all installs should be fully managed regardless of time taken to do so.This is not a rant or rave,just my point of view.Im sure this would cut down customer comlaints with bb?I doubt that people who have just got their first computer and don't know anything at all about the internet would be visiting sites such as this and discovering other ways of installing their broadband connection. They will simply follow the instruction shown on the literature that accompanies their modem.

If you have been watching these forums for any length of time you will have seen many instances of new customers coming to the site for help after trying to get their broadband connection running using the NTL installation CD and the installation has thrown up errors which they can't resolve. They have gone back to their old dial-up connection and found this site using a search. on Google or similar.

chrisjones
15-12-2005, 10:18
Manual it is then... I have several email accounts already in use so I cant say im that bothered adding an NTL acc to my business cards ;)

Oh and one more thing should these question marks be in this text? I noticed that the link to the ethernet set up advice is littered with ? ? ? marks

ipconfig /release ? then wait 10 seconds
Type ipconfig /renew ? you should see a message confirming that a new address has been obtained.Do you enter the ? marks?

Zeph - In answer to your question, ive no idea, thats why im on here! :dozey:

poolking
15-12-2005, 11:35
You don't need the ?