PDA

View Full Version : setup + download limit help!!

bobby999
13-12-2005, 15:15
Im sure this question has been answered but cant find it...
i have PS2 original, just ordered network adapter.

currently i connect to internet throught NTLs Cable modem directly to my Laptop by supplied network cable, i juts plug it in to back when i wanna go on net.

Will i simply be able to plug it into PS2 instead of laptop? saw people talking about twisted cables etc!!??

Also im on this crap 3GB download limit 1mb connection, how much is 3gb in terms of online playing? mostly PRO EVO 5! how many games? plenty? or will it run out my allowance!

TELEWEST do so much better deals! but im on NTL :mad:

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

god now im seeing all about mac addresses etc, sounds like this is gonna be a headache..... and i do computer science student lol

MovedGoalPosts
13-12-2005, 15:24
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

Not having a PS2 (horrible thing :p: ) I can't answer that much of your query.

Regarding connection to the ntl modem you will need to power off the modem each time you swap from lappy to PS2 or vice versa. Only one device can be used at a time.

If you are likely to switch regularly between PS2 and lappy, I'd recommend you get a router, to reduce the switchover hassle.

mr0161
14-12-2005, 08:11
Ok, i've had this problem, i feel like it's my job to help you out now, the download limit means nothing about how long you can play, it just means how much you can download from the internet, so lets say movies, if you download over 3GB of files, then you went over the limit, so remember, it has NOTHING to do with how LONG you play online with the internet.

Ok, next step, i ain't to sure about the modem, as i use a set top box (PACE), but when people were talking about the modem, all you need to do, is pull the plug out of the modem, wait about 2 min's at most, to make sure, then plug it back in. Then put the CAT5 cable, from the modem, into the PS2 network adatper, and thats it, then do the same thing as before, to go back onto the PC/Laptop, so it's best if you get a router, which i just got about 2 days ago, so if you need help with a cheap router, just ask.

Depends how much you play on the PS2/laptop/PC, if it's like 3 hours a day, then there is no need, if you got a brother/sister who wants online, then you may want a router, just like myself, we take it in turns to go on the net, so it was best to get a router.:cool:

bobby999
14-12-2005, 09:47
thats really good that i will not have to worry about how long im online!

but surely downloading say for example a film is just data being recieved through the bandwith, with a limit of 3gb so even browsing on net, when a website loads however big or small it is using some of that 3gb!, so when i play online surely im am sending and Receiving inormation through the net,( from other persons PS2!) so would use up bandwith!
but i hope what u say is correct!!!

thanks!!!

mr0161
14-12-2005, 09:58
Yes, i am right, it's just so people don't burn disic all night long, thats why they have the limit on how much GB's you can download, it don't matter if you keep the internet on ALL night, playing computer games, i am on the same thing as you, and our internet is more or less never off, we have had nothing from anyone, we just don't go downloading alot of songs/movies.

bobby999
14-12-2005, 10:14
ok thanks!!!

mr0161
14-12-2005, 10:19
You're welcome :angel:

So i guess you set up you net+PS2 alright then?

handyman
14-12-2005, 10:35
Of course you'll probably be able to find a nice 1mb unlimited package in the new year from ntl :) so you wont have to worry about the 3gb cap :)

bobby999
14-12-2005, 13:23
im waiting for my network adapter just ordered it!!

so is there def a 1mb unlimited coming!!?