PDA

View Full Version : Redundant!!

LSainsbury
12-12-2005, 17:42
Hello,

Just been informed my job is being made redundant today. :Yikes:

Not got the official letter yet though, but I'm now on garden leave!

So - job centre tomorrow to see what the score is - great!

Anybody know how much the JSA is these days?

Cheers

Lee

Stuart
12-12-2005, 17:49
Sorry to hear that mate.. :(

Bill C
12-12-2005, 17:50
Hello,

Cheers

Lee

Sorry to hear that. I too have been made redundant this Month so i know how you feel.

Good luck with the job hunting. :tu:

marky
12-12-2005, 17:53
Best of luck finding a new job :)

Ps. £56.20 a week

Paul
12-12-2005, 17:58
Been there twice now (last time was 10 months ago). Fortunately I got a good payout each time, and found a new job pretty quickly.

bonzoe
12-12-2005, 18:27
Sorry to hear that you have been made redundant, but it's not the end of the world!

In my experience, you will not qualify for JSA until your gardening leave ends. Good job hunting!

homealone
12-12-2005, 18:35
sorry to hear your news, Lee, best wishes for finding a new job :tu:

Chrysalis
12-12-2005, 19:17
Depends if he get contribution based you dont get means tested.

Maggy
12-12-2005, 19:50
At no time is it good to be made redundant but at this time of year it just seems worst.Sorry to hear your news.Hope you get a job pronto..:tu:

Tuftus
12-12-2005, 20:21
Sorry to hear your bad news Lee...

All the best with the hunt for a new job!!!

Hom3r
12-12-2005, 20:45
Hello,

Cheers

Lee

Been there twice both on 4th July both just under eight years. and still looking.
The minimum you get will be £56.20, but you may get help if you own or rent your house.

I live at home and Get on the P*ss poor £56.20 I have to pay out £400 PM.

If you get redudancy package spend it wise It may have to last you. I've spent £3k of mine since July.

LSainsbury
12-12-2005, 21:53
Thanks for all the comments!

Thing is - I joined this company in 1998 - got made redundant in Jan 2003 - got another job in April 2003 - got a phone call July 2003 asking me if I wanted to go back - went back in August 2003 and been there ever since.

I kinda saw the writing on the wall over the last few weeks - been quiet work-wise, and then Friday evening an email asking four of us to come in for a meeting on Monday. I came up with a couple of possibles - and one was redundancy - and I hit the jackpot!

There is talk of 2 positions "available" which they want us to apply for but I think we are not qualified for those - I think it just a formality to go throughââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚¦

Job hunt starts tomorrow!

My CV has been out for a few weeks since I was looking to quit anyway, so this was just an added extra push!:Yikes:

Ramrod
12-12-2005, 22:03
Sorry to hear about this m8......always seems to happen around christmas :(

tkiely
12-12-2005, 23:12
Hi Lee,

I had this last mth, keep positive mate, think loosely and take what opurtunities appear, it can be a good thing to make a change and you might not see what good things there are available for you without an open mind. I went from wage slave to self employed IT bloke without too much fuss. Seemed tough for first few weeks but now I have caught up with where I was a mth ago and the future is bright.

Dont despair, change can be for the good!

Terry

AndyCambs
13-12-2005, 00:08
I had the same happen to me at the end of October - although mine was a complete surprise. Overall, I walked away with about four months salary, and although there is technically supposed to be "consultation" this merely consisted of telling me my position was liable to be made redundant, and then on the specified day - telling me my job was redundant.
I used online job searches and recruitment agencies who were a great help. When you are made redundant, there is a HUGE loss of self-esteem (why me, and not others, along with thoughts that you are too old to find something). The recruitment agencies were great in this and build your confidence, and I was sorted with a new job within six weeks.
It might not seem like it now to you - but one door closes and another opens. It did for me, and I have done rather well with the change.
Good luck in the job hunting - I didn't bother with Job Seeker's Allowance, as the notice period was eight weeks anyway, and I couldn't be bothered to sign on.

Shabba
13-12-2005, 00:23
I got made redundant last July but found that signing with a temp agency helped me out a lot. Luckily i applied for my current position way before i actually left so the transition wasn't to long for me.

Good luck job hunting and chin up. Every cloud does have a silver lining :)

LSainsbury
18-01-2006, 12:00
Well here we go people! I can see another long-winded a*** about face procedure coming on! Phone the JobCentre PLus this morning to ask if I need to make an appointment for Friday (my last notice day).

So - asks bloke on phone if I need to make an appointment for Friday....
Answer: No.
Me: So I can just walk in and fill in the paperwork?
Answer: Theres no garantee you'll be seen.
Me: Why can't I make an appointment no for Friday?
Answer: You can't - it's the rules - I can send you out the paperwork
Me: Doub't if they'll arrive tomorrow.

FFS!! I can see this being a complete ar$e!

Anybody got any advice about the procedure for claiming JSA?

Cheers

Lee

Bifta
18-01-2006, 13:05
Well here we go people! I can see another long-winded a*** about face procedure coming on! Phone the JobCentre PLus this morning to ask if I need to make an appointment for Friday (my last notice day).

Cheers

Lee

As far as I know (and I haven't claimed before but know people who have), you get posted the forms, you fill them in then they'll let you know when they can see you, I guess they assume being jobless you have no other commitments (which isn't normally the case).

Chrysalis
18-01-2006, 13:35

Cheers

Lee

Welcome to the farce that is department work and pensions, the best thing to do is go early morning and wait to be seen, make sure you bring evidence with you they will need for claim so they can process it without asking in the post. Probably id, last wage slip, letter of redundancy, bank details, proof of address. I think thats all you need for JSA, also claim the correct one as it can be frustrating waiting then finding out you claimed the wrong type, they will usually make you claim contribution based if possible since that entitles you to less then income based.

LSainsbury
18-01-2006, 13:40
Well - I have now phoned them back - told them I WANT to make a claim - details now been taken - got a ref number and an appointment - 28th Jan....

Yes 28th a Saturday!!

Escapee
18-01-2006, 17:56
Well - I have now phoned them back - told them I WANT to make a claim - details now been taken - got a ref number and an appointment - 28th Jan....

Yes 28th a Saturday!!

I think they still go through the mass of paperwork with a phone call made by appointment, then you go along to see those wonderful people working there.

Sorry if it looks like I am going to tar them all with the same brush, but thats exactly what they do with claimants. They talk doen to you as if you are a piece of s**t, its only after a few visits I could see why members of the public were so rude to them.

They ask silly questions like "How far are you prepared to travel for work" I said "30 Miles" she said "Theres a job in Reading" I said "Do you know where Reading is and how far away it is" she said "No":rolleyes:

I guess paying peanuts gets you monkeys as always.

etccarmageddon
18-01-2006, 18:04
I could imagine these job centres attract or perhaps I should say 'have to put up with!' some right morons as well as genuine jobless there's probably others who are spongers and who treat the staff like poo also? It's not a job I'd like to do. That doesn't excuse Lsains having to wait so long for an appointment - when you're a genuine job seeker/claimant you want to get moving asap plus obviously you need money. good luck to you lsains.

LSainsbury
18-01-2006, 18:41
Thanks etccarmageddon - hopefully I won't make the appointment as I have an interview on Monday + loads on the boil!

Chrysalis
18-01-2006, 19:45
yeah my experience is some idiots work there who talk down to you and dont care at all etc. But I wont tar them all in the same brush as some people make the effort to help in the proper manner.

LSainsbury
18-01-2006, 22:42
yeah my experience is some idiots work there who talk down to you and dont care at all etc. But I wont tar them all in the same brush as some people make the effort to help in the proper manner.

Well if I get one of those, they will soon know about it. I'll be asking for a Team Leader / Supervisor to deal with me!! :erm:

LSainsbury
19-01-2006, 13:17
Pigs might fly! I got the JSA forms today...they are in the form of a small tree , pulped and then made into printed matter...

One of the questions:

To Find work I Will:

Contact local employers...
Visit or phone the local office (I assume they mean the JC)
Look in newspapers
Register with employment agencies
Ask family and friends....

Booklet printed in Jan 04....so the internet didn't exist in 2004 then? The internet is the MAIN source these days and there is not even a mention of it!!

No wonder there is 1.49 million (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4527492.stm) pople out of work!

Nugget
19-01-2006, 14:24
Pigs might fly! I got the JSA forms today...they are in the form of a small tree , pulped and then made into printed matter...

One of the questions:

To Find work I Will:

Contact local employers...
Visit or phone the local office (I assume they mean the JC)
Look in newspapers
Register with employment agencies
Ask family and friends....

Booklet printed in Jan 04....so the internet didn't exist in 2004 then? The internet is the MAIN source these days and there is not even a mention of it!!

No wonder there is 1.49 million (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4527492.stm) pople out of work!

What's the problem with that question? You'll find that, when you have your appointment, you can also tell them that you'll be using the internet. More to the point, there's an argument to say that the internet isn't the main source anyway - I've never used the internet to find a job :shrug:

Oh, and what have the job centres got to do with 1½ million people being out of work? A lot of those won't be claiming JSA anyway...

LSainsbury
19-01-2006, 20:21
What's the problem with that question? You'll find that, when you have your appointment, you can also tell them that you'll be using the internet. More to the point, there's an argument to say that the internet isn't the main source anyway - I've never used the internet to find a job :shrug:

Oh, and what have the job centres got to do with 1½ million people being out of work? A lot of those won't be claiming JSA anyway...

Well - I just found it quite surprising in this day and technology age that the internet is no even mentioned!

How do you find new jobs then Nugget? (Serious question - not a dig at you Nugget!!) :handshake:

Nugget
20-01-2006, 09:42
Well - I just found it quite surprising in this day and technology age that the internet is no even mentioned!

How do you find new jobs then Nugget? (Serious question - not a dig at you Nugget!!) :handshake:

:blush: *ahem*

Well, the job before this one, I was going to be made redundant, but the Technical Controller 'encouraged' me to apply for it and, what do you know, I got it ;)

As for this one, it was advertised in the local paper :shrug:

Don't get me wrong, I agree that some of the terminology is somewhat outdated - just think how bad it was 9 years ago when I worked there :D

Escapee
20-01-2006, 09:56

I have found the opposite myself, my last three jobs including the one I am starting at the end of the month was via the internet. I find the jobs advertised in the local paper are usually poor wages, and the ones in the jobcentre are mostly under the povertry level to attract people with a kids and a mortgage. ie: the only ones who can afford to take the jobs.

I have never without any exception seen a job advertised in the jobcentre for an engineer in electronics, telecommunications etc paid anywhere near the market rates.

Xaccers
20-01-2006, 13:13
Sorry to hear about your redundancy, just what you need when starting the new year!
Good luck with the JSA too.
I applied for it when I quit uni back in 97
I was only unemployed for 2 weeks, so when I got a letter saying I was entitled to £0 (yes, zero pounds) JSA and if I thought that was too much I should inform them, I wasn't that bothered, although amused at the stupidity and kept the letter.
This came in handy as at the end of the tax year I was due a rebate, but heard nothing.
I called the tax office and they said they had a record of me recieving JSA but not the amount and until they could resolve that, they couldn't release my rebate.
So I faxed them the letter, and when they stopped laughing they sent me my rebate!

Chrysalis
20-01-2006, 17:39
My experience is the same, in my jobcentre I would estimate 80% advertise the wages as "meets min wage laws, talk to advisor for supplement", most are unskilled jobs and will rarely see a job that one would enjoy doing. I am not offering excuses for people who wont work but the way the system works doesnt make it easy. The DWP also dont provide help (other then the actual benefit) until you have been unemployed for 3 or 6 months, and of course we all know the longer you are unemployed for the harder it is to get a job as employers are sceptical about gaps in employment. Then when you hit say 6 or 12 months they will start trying to force jobs on you that are not suitable just to try and force you into work, I never experienced this but I know others who have and it isnt pleasant. To top this off the current government is trying to force 1 million ill/disabled people back into work in a market that has growing unemployment and where employers will not want to take these people on, also ignoring these are innocent people who have been signed off by professional doctors as well as DWP doctors. It is no wonder the job market is a mess.

LSainsbury
01-02-2006, 13:41
Hello,

To save opening another thread I thought I'd re-use this one!

OK - been for a few interviews - nothing really happening at the moment for a permanant position, so I'm thinking about Contract work....but I have no idea how it all works with tax / NI etc.

Any IT contractors here who can give me a few tips? :tu:

Graham M
01-02-2006, 15:06
Youd have to do a self assessment tax return at the end of the tax year i would assume.

LSainsbury
01-02-2006, 15:17
Youd have to do a self assessment tax return at the end of the tax year i would assume.

I can get a FA to do that - not a problem....

etccarmageddon
01-02-2006, 15:25
I say find your contract first - worry about the admin when you've done the tough bit! usually if you're contracting and earning good/big dosh and long term you get an accountant/slave to do the admin.

LSainsbury
01-02-2006, 15:36
I say find your contract first - worry about the admin when you've done the tough bit! usually if you're contracting and earning good/big dosh and long term you get an accountant/slave to do the admin.

Thanks - but what about start out? I need a company name or use an umbrela company?

etccarmageddon
01-02-2006, 15:40
from memory, you can buy a pre setup company for around £100 which is cheaper than setting one up yourself and then if you dont like the name you can get it renamed.

http://www.contractoruk.com/first_timers/index.html

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

here you are...

http://www.contractoruk.com/first_timers/company_set_up.html

Scarlett
01-02-2006, 15:49
Any IT contractors here who can give me a few tips? :tu:

Yep,

I currently contract (nearly 2 years now!) and I can honestly say that it was the best move I ever made. Its not for everyone though and you have be okay with the idea that you might only be working for 3 months at a time and have periods where you can't find a job. If you can cope with that (It's not too bad as you actually know your end date and generally you'll know well in advance if its likely to be extended beyond that end date.) then its generally a good move (It also looks good on a CV).

There are also some other considerations that you need to make when moving to contracting. For the first few years of contracting, you will find it very difficult to obtain financial products such as mortgages and loans as you will be regarded as a bad credit risk (because your on a limited contract) Also quite a few of the payment protection schemes will not pay out to you (so I'd think about canceling the lot if you do go contracting) on the upside, you should be taking home more cash even if you are paying more tax.

If that sounds good to you then contracting could well be for you. Firstly I'd look at you skills and then have a look at CWjobs (http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/) and see how much work is around for those skills this will tell you how much chance there is of finding contract work.

In terms of tax and stuff you need to sort out how you are paid and how you pay you tax. Either you take the pay direct and hire an accountant and file a tax return or you can sign up with what is known as an umbrella limited company who will deal with your tax for you. I use JSA (http://www.jsagroup.co.uk/)* and they've been good so far with virtually no problems and have certainly been helpful with my recent brush with the tax man.

The use of a Limited Company to administer a contract is only
advantageous if the contractor is not caught by the legislation
known as IR35 (http://www.contractoruk.com/ir35/what_is.html). (Schedule 12 of the Finance Act 2000). Schedule 12 dictates that where a worker provides his or her services through a limited company but the services, if provided under a contract directly with the end client, would be in the nature of employment, the worker (contractor) must receive the income from the contract as if it were salary under deduction of PAYE. There are a number of adjustments for expenses, pension, employerââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s National Insurance, etc but, in principle, this legislation takes away any tax and/or National Insurance advantage that might be available from working through a PSC.

Prior to the advent of this legislation (effectively, on 6th April 2000), it was possible for a Personal Service Company to collect funds from the agency and pay the owner (shareholder/director) a small salary (subject to the National Minimum Wage legislation), but pay the bulk of the funds as a dividend. A dividend is a distribution of the companyââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s profits but which is not subject to either employerââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s or employeeââ‚à ƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s National Insurance.

I currently use the umbrella limited company and do not have to fill out a tax return. However due to the nature of my work I am shortly going to move to a different method of tax called chorus and I will need to do a tax return at that point. Again JSA could explain this to you in more detail.

If you want any more details, just pm me.

Scarlett,

*if you do go this route, let me know and I can refer you to them.

LSainsbury
30-03-2006, 10:47
Hello,

I am please to report that as of Monday I am no longer redundant!

I have a new position as an IT Consultant for a local IT Reseller that should keep me busy for a few years!

Thanks for keeping me sane for the last few months! :tu::)

Lee

homealone
30-03-2006, 10:59
Hello,

I have a new position as an IT Consultant for a local IT Reseller that should keep me busy for a few years!

Lee

that is good news, at long last, congratulations :tu:

Tuftus
30-03-2006, 11:33
Hello,

Lee

Congratulations mate!

Nidge
30-03-2006, 18:00
Well done mate:tu: :tu: :tu:

Shabba
30-03-2006, 18:05
Superb news Lee :)

I'm sure your gonna be an asset to the company.

Bill C
30-03-2006, 18:37
Nice one :tu:

driver_problems
30-03-2006, 18:40
I got put on garden leave for six months :) Nice it was too. Got given redundancy payment at the end of it. Couple of months after that I got offered a job in the same company doing pretty much the same thing. Good old ntl :dozey:

LSainsbury
13-12-2006, 10:05
* Bump *

So - one year ago yesterday I was given the news of redundancy...

...and one year later?

Well - got new job (as above), bought a new house with the girlfriend, and Saturday we got a Christmas tree!

As people kept telling me at the time...it'll all work out for the better!

AND IT BLOODY DID!!! For a change!

:cleader::cleader: :xmas: :cleader::cleader:

TheDaddy
13-12-2006, 10:18
* Bump *

...and one year later?

Well - got new job (as above), bought a new house with the girlfriend, and Saturday we got a Christmas tree!

Yep that tree has made all the difference :D, seriously I am glad it's all worked out for you, sadly these day's it could happen to any of us

LSainsbury
13-12-2006, 10:28
Yep that tree has made all the difference :D, seriously I am glad it's all worked out for you, sadly these day's it could happen to any of us

It did - now the lights are working correctly! :p:

Yes - unfortunately it happens more and more these days...

My dad worked for the local council for 25 years - I can't see anybody these days staying in a job for longer than that!

superbiatch
13-12-2006, 10:41
* Bump *

...and one year later?

So there's hope for me yet then? Just made me realise it probably ain't the end of the world losing my job - i think its just a time of year thing :)

LSainsbury
13-12-2006, 10:58
So there's hope for me yet then? Just made me realise it probably ain't the end of the world losing my job - i think its just a time of year thing :)

No it's not indeed! OK - timing is bad - I've had it happen twice to me by the same company - yes I was stupid enough to go back for more...

Once was in mid Jan 2003 and the other December 2005!

Anyway - there are jobs - just gotta keep looking for them until you find the right thing for you... :tu:

Vlad_Dracul
15-12-2006, 16:47
Hello,

Cheers

Lee

Sorry to hear that mate. Try to trick your mind that its not an ending,its a new beginning n all that. May i ask what business you are in? Jus curious as i think redundancies are definately on the increase. I had cause to vist a couple of terraced houses that were being renovated the other day. Not a single person on site spoke English. Later on that day i visited another customer and this was a middle aged man desperately hacking away on t;internet trying to write and post a cv. He wasnt too hot at puters and had never been out of work BUT he has just been told his job is gone. Guess what he does? >bricklayer. Wonder where his job went? There is definately trouble ahead for UK PLC

LSainsbury
15-12-2006, 16:55
Sorry to hear that mate.

Think you need to check the date of the original posting... ;)

Gareth
15-12-2006, 16:59
Think you need to check the date of the original posting... ;)He did... but it's taken him a year to write that reply. ;)

Jules
15-12-2006, 17:01
Glad it has all worked out for you, it is always great to have a update that is good news :)

etccarmageddon
15-12-2006, 17:03
he's been using a time machine.

Vlad_Dracul
15-12-2006, 17:29
He did... but it's taken him a year to write that reply. ;)

I'm not like others you know...rushing to the keyboard to make ill considered emotional responses. I like to chew things over for a while...:dunce:

Hugh
15-12-2006, 18:28
Lee,
pleased to hear it has all worked out for you - well done.

I was made redundant in May this year, and am still "looking" - luckily, I got 6 months PiLoN, so that has kept the house and family going.

Maggy
15-12-2006, 19:21
My husband was made redundant in June...he's just started a new job this week..It's not a terrific job but he gets £2000 more than in the last job.:tu:

Oh he is not doing agency work which means a little more security..

Hugh
15-12-2006, 19:34
My husband was made redundant in June...he's just started a new job this week..It's not a terrific job but he gets £2000 more than in the last job.:tu:

Oh he is not doing agency work which means a little more security.. and

Coggy, congratulations - must be a weight of (both of) your minds; it's not easy getting a new job when you hit 50, so please pass on my congrats to your husband. :hugs: :handshake

Maggy
15-12-2006, 19:37
Coggy, congratulations - must be a weight of (both of) your minds; it's not easy getting a new job when you hit 50, so please pass on my congrats to your husband. :hugs: :handshake

The only drawback is as the last man in he gets to work Christmas Day and New Years Eve...

So I'm free Dec 31st if anyone fancies a celebration...;)

iadom
15-12-2006, 19:55
My dad worked for the local council for 25 years - I can't see anybody these days staying in a job for longer than that!
I have worked for the same company for 28 years,;) pays crap, the boss is a slavedriver, six days a week, with no holidays.

Glad it has all come right in the end Lee, have a great Christmas & a healthy New Year.
Jim.

Jules
15-12-2006, 20:25
Lol Iadom next time you look in a mirror have a word with your "boss" ;)