PDA

View Full Version : Your body is wanted.....

Salu
12-12-2005, 09:56
...for medical research. Obviously it's OK to die first, we'd prefer it that way...... :)

The numbers of cadavers (bodies for Drs to help learn anatomy) is declining and also the number of Drs in training is increasing. Some courses have had to be cancelled because of the shortage.

The DOH say

The Department of Health said people had been put off following the recent Channel 4 TV series Anatomy for Beginners, which showed German doctor Gunther von Hagens dissecting a body.

Maybe the Bristol's Children's Hospital and the Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool scandals have put people off??

In days past the body snatchers used to provide them. Criminals' bodies were sometimes used. Although a heinous crime, we have a lot to thank them for as significant advances were made in medicine due to the research that was able to be carried out.

http://212.58.226.30/1/hi/health/4509648.stm

Having a cadaver is vital to learning anatomy properly as you need the "3D" appreciation. Sure, PCs have advanced incredibly but to have something tangible and in front of you is incredibly useful. You also need one per doctor; as you progress you may miss something if a colleague has got there first....

So, aside from the interesting history lesson. What do you feel about donating your body for anatomical dissection? Have the recent TV programs or generally more knowledge put you off? Would you let me get my hands on you? ;)

Paul K
12-12-2005, 10:04
Can we volunteer other peoples bodies and do they have to be dead first? Surely a heavy anaesthetic would do :D
Don't think a certain person would be too happy about me being hacked to bits but I'm not too bothered as long as I'm dead first ;)

Ramrod
12-12-2005, 10:08
Took me ages to get over the smell of the formaldehyde (or whatever it is that they use to preserve the cadavers)...:( :sick:

Angua
12-12-2005, 10:13
...for medical research. Obviously it's OK to die first, we'd prefer it that way...... :)

The numbers of cadavers (bodies for Drs to help learn anatomy) is declining and also the number of Drs in training is increasing. Some courses have had to be cancelled because of the shortage.

The DOH say

Maybe the Bristol's Children's Hospital and the Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool scandals have put people off??

In days past the body snatchers used to provide them. Criminals' bodies were sometimes used. Although a heinous crime, we have a lot to thank them for as significant advances were made in medicine due to the research that was able to be carried out.

http://212.58.226.30/1/hi/health/4509648.stm

Having a cadaver is vital to learning anatomy properly as you need the "3D" appreciation. Sure, PCs have advanced incredibly but to have something tangible and in front of you is incredibly useful. You also need one per doctor; as you progress you may miss something if a colleague has got there first....

So, aside from the interesting history lesson. What do you feel about donating your body for anatomical dissection? Have the recent TV programs or generally more knowledge put you off? Would you let me get my hands on you? ;)

It's the one thing I am and have always been clear about that when I die my body can be used for Medical resarch.

homealone
12-12-2005, 10:23
Once I am 'gone' I don't care what happens to what is left, I have signed up for anything useful to be used for transplant, but wouldn't mind the 'rest' being used for any medical purpose.

Nugget
12-12-2005, 10:27
Once I am 'gone' I don't care what happens to what is left, I have signed up for anything useful to be used for transplant, but wouldn't mind the 'rest' being used for any medical purpose.

I've got you signed up to find out how come you manage to bounce everytime you fall off your bike ;)

Salu
12-12-2005, 10:28
Methane is quite a light gas...........

Salu
12-12-2005, 15:57
So do I take it that noone wants to donate their bodies or is everyone apathetic to it?

Angua
12-12-2005, 16:16
Awwww, Homealone and I do and I think Paul would like to (judging by his post). :D

bopdude
12-12-2005, 17:23
They can do what they like to me, the body ( when I'm done with it ) should be in 'near perfect' condition, after all alcohol, preserves does it not ??
Seriously though, anything they want to do / chop / transplant, is good by me, I must let the family know etc etc, how do you go about it anyway, more than a doner card, maybe I should read the link in the first post ;)

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Nope, no info in that link.............

jrhnewark
12-12-2005, 22:40
Yeah, they can do as they wish with me - I have a nice liver, if anyone needs one and mine becomes spare? :D

jtwn
12-12-2005, 23:10
Sure, I guess some of my parts can be transplanted and go to some use instead of just rotting away/burnt.

Salu
12-12-2005, 23:15
Yeah, they can do as they wish with me - I have a nice liver, if anyone needs one and mine becomes spare? :D

How do you know you have a nice liver?

And what do you mean by nice? Is it polite and good natured? ;)

danielf
13-12-2005, 00:31
Cut away I say. (after I've died obviously and all spare parts that can be/ are worthy of salvaging have been distributed to people in need of them)

Shabba
13-12-2005, 00:48
Sure! Do you want you want with me (when i'm dead that is) but i heard that families can over rule a decission i make in life and that hospitals/research respect there wishes for fear of litigation?

Seti
13-12-2005, 01:43
Corrr I really thought someone actually wanted my body then, but I can live in hope :) I want to donate my body to the MS research place when I die. They will obviously need to make sure I am dead first! However, I am not adverse to donating my body to any medical school that needs to learn anatomy. I think it's very important and incredibly useful to have a um live experience :-P

Sian