PDA

View Full Version : I hate work

Angelus
11-12-2005, 07:38
Got to work at 7am on a Sunday morning is pathetic. Especially when i finished at 10pm on Saturday night.

Bah

Ramrod
11-12-2005, 10:35
:sorry: :)

luftys
11-12-2005, 12:35
I love work:Yikes: just hate some off the people I work with:disturbd:

Halcyon
11-12-2005, 12:37
Working at 7am on a Sunday !!!
Now that is one thing I couldnt do. After getting home at 3am last night, I appreciate my lie in.
I admire you for being able to get up so early.

MovedGoalPosts
11-12-2005, 12:50
Hmm, 9 hours between shift end and shift start. Doesn't really allow a proper rest of at least 8 hours especially if you consider a need for travel (unless you live on site), eating, washing etc. Strikes me that your employer ought to be looking at the health and safety implications as top whether the time allowances mean you are going to be fit for work.

poolking
11-12-2005, 12:54
All I go to work for now is to pay the bills, haven't really enjoyed my job in a long time.

cookie_365
11-12-2005, 13:43
I love my job - it's the 4 hours a day travelling to and from it that I'm not keen on :erm:

Hom3r
11-12-2005, 13:46
I would love to be in a job to able able to hate it, as in a previous post I was made redundant, in july!

Escapee
11-12-2005, 21:19
I love my job - it's the 4 hours a day travelling to and from it that I'm not keen on :erm:

And theres me thinking my two and three quarters of an hour a day is bad.
I enjoy my job these days, its just some of the know it all but know nothing idiots we have had to employ just to put bums on seats spoil it.

Stuart
11-12-2005, 21:32
I usually work around 44 hours a week.

However, a few years ago, we held an exhibition at work. and I was in charge of technical support for the exhibition (all the exhibits involved either video or computers). For two weeks, I worked from 6:30 in the morning until around 8:00 at night. With 40 minutes to 1 hour journey time (each way). No days off. I was knackered. :D

It was an interesting experience though.. I actually lost track of which day it was.

cookie_365
11-12-2005, 23:22
And theres me thinking my two and three quarters of an hour a day is bad.
I enjoy my job these days, its just some of the know it all but know nothing idiots we have had to employ just to put bums on seats spoil it.

Well, OK, I exagerated slightly - it's more like 3 and a half hours .... :(

ikthius
12-12-2005, 00:05
this is part of my job,
finish work one night at 10.30pm and start 7.30am every week, although it is once in the week. but work seven days a week.

7 on 3 off
7 on 4 off
repeat

ik

danielf
12-12-2005, 00:40
Well, OK, I exagerated slightly - it's more like 3 and a half hours .... :(

How do you cope? I do 50 minutes each way atm, which is ok, but a complete waste of time. In my last job though, I cycled into work in 5 minutes (most of it through a park). I liked that :)

monkey2468
12-12-2005, 00:53
I LIKE my job, I LIKE the shifts, but HATE the lack of decent pay. The only reason I don't change is because of the first 2 points.

cookie_365
12-12-2005, 23:11
How do you cope? I do 50 minutes each way atm, which is ok, but a complete waste of time. In my last job though, I cycled into work in 5 minutes (most of it through a park). I liked that :)
I'm not sure that I do cope ....:erm:

Chris W
12-12-2005, 23:17

I drive from hendon to the centre of reading and back every day... fastest i have done it is 1hr 5mins, longest 4hrs 20mins...

main problem is that i have to be at work at 9, and finish at 6, so perfect timing to hit rushhour.

And i hate my job too... 6 / 7 days a week, and because of the travel i normally leave my house at 6-6:30am and get home at 8-8:30pm. fun!

nffc
13-12-2005, 00:42
I drive from hendon to the centre of reading and back every day... fastest i have done it is 1hr 5mins, longest 4hrs 20mins...

main problem is that i have to be at work at 9, and finish at 6, so perfect timing to hit rushhour.

And i hate my job too... 6 / 7 days a week, and because of the travel i normally leave my house at 6-6:30am and get home at 8-8:30pm. fun!
Is the A4 as busy?

Halcyon
13-12-2005, 00:52
Well whatever job you are doing, try and block it out of your mind for Christmas and have a relaxing well earned break.

nffc
13-12-2005, 00:55
Well whatever job you are doing, try and block it out of your mind for Christmas and have a relaxing well earned break.

Would be nice, though I do have Christmas Day off, and that's only the way my shifts have fallen.

Shabba
13-12-2005, 00:57
I love my job :)

If i had to rely on public transport (i don't drive) it would take me 55 minutes to get to work. But my employer is kind enough to provide a free coach that picks me up at the top of my street. I must add that it picks a few more workers up on the way ;)

Christmas bonus is crap tho. A £20 Argos voucher won't go a long way :(

Nidge
13-12-2005, 08:56
Hmm, 9 hours between shift end and shift start. Doesn't really allow a proper rest of at least 8 hours especially if you consider a need for travel (unless you live on site), eating, washing etc. Strikes me that your employer ought to be looking at the health and safety implications as top whether the time allowances mean you are going to be fit for work.

As long as your away from the working place 8 hours it doesn't make much difference?

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 ----------

I love my job :)

If i had to rely on public transport (i don't drive) it would take me 55 minutes to get to work. But my employer is kind enough to provide a free coach that picks me up at the top of my street. I must add that it picks a few more workers up on the way ;)

Christmas bonus is crap tho. A £20 Argos voucher won't go a long way :(

Mmm a crap £20 Argos voucher, what do you want? It's the thought that counts, some people would be grateful of that voucher

Scarlett
13-12-2005, 10:04
Got to work at 7am on a Sunday morning is pathetic. Especially when i finished at 10pm on Saturday night.

Bah

Actually its illegal...

see here (http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_regs/wtr5.htm#section5) under daily rest.

I wish I didin't know where exactly on the DTI site to go for this info but My Wifes company has been known to push it a bit and this one is one of the better ones. (some of the previous companies :Yikes: :Yikes: )

I'd just write a letter (remember to date it) to "bring it to their attention" that you didn't get you 11 hours break. Print out a copy of the relevent info or point em' to the website. Don't demand anything now, make it sound like your just doing them a favour.

Keep a copy of the letter so that you can use it if they try to say it doesn't apply.

If they try to duck it then this (http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_regs/wtr8.htm#enforcement) page should help. If your company wont budge then ACAS will probably manage.

liamboyle06
13-12-2005, 11:08
I dont mind my work place, just wish that I had more to do at the minute.
Takes me 5 mins to drive to work, and by 9:00 i have most of my things done for the day, kinda preferred it when I was on the phones as the day went in faster that way.

Maggy
13-12-2005, 12:10
Funny thing is I love my job when I'm NOT doing it...;)

Ok I'm lying

Pia
13-12-2005, 13:43

Bah

...And??

I work til 12pm at night sometimes or later, and have to be up for the breakfast shift and in work by 6.30am.
That's life.

Nugget
13-12-2005, 13:46
...And??

I work til 12pm at night sometimes or later, and have to be up for the breakfast shift and in work by 6.30am.
That's life.

And, by the sound of it, illegal...

Paul
13-12-2005, 13:54
There must be more to it than a simple 11 hours break or it's illegal - otherwise an awful lot of peoples normal working hours are breaking the law

---------- Post added at 12:54 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

BTW - I work 10pm to 8am, four days a week (Mon-Thu one week, Tue - Fri the second week). Driving to work at 9:30 in the evening is just great - no traffic. Coming home at 8am is almost as good - most of the traffic is coming into Nottingham, while I'm heading out ....

Stuart
13-12-2005, 13:57
Just checked at http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_regs/wtr0.htm . There are rules on how long people can work.

Also, a young person (although I can find no definition of young person) can work 8 hours a day.

Anyway, from http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_regs/wtr5.htm#section5,

Daily rest

A worker is entitled to a rest period of 11 uninterrupted hours between each working day.

Note, however, that the rules specifically exclude your normal journey time to/from work (I read that to mean that they count the 11 hours as starting when you leave work for home, and ending when you arrive at work the next day), so those that have 3 hours journeys have already lost 6 hours of break time.

homealone
13-12-2005, 13:59
...And??

That's life.

Hotel & Catering sector work split shifts, which, as far as I know, are exempt from the working time regulations???

Enuff
13-12-2005, 14:02
...And??

That's life.That's your life... the one you chose. I've had a good few jobs in the past, good job, bad pay... or bad job, good pay... I could never find good job, good pay!... I still say the best thing to do if you aint happy in your job, is to find another job, one that you are happy with.. I know, that's easier said than done. If there is something you've always wanted to do in life, then do it, have a go... otherwise you'll regret it. even if the something you want to do doesn't work out, you can always say atleast I give it a go! I know what it's like to be stuck in a rut, in some cases the only way out of the rut is to do something not normal, like walk away from it all... why be unhappy in life, you control your own destiny, take control and make something of yourself... not easy is it? or is it? ;)

Stuart
13-12-2005, 14:06
...And??

That's life.

Hotel & Catering sector work split shifts, which, as far as I know, are exempt from the working time regulations???

I had a quick read through, and I don't think they are specifically exempt. However, individual workers can opt out of the regulations (although employers can not force them to do so).

Chrysalis
13-12-2005, 14:57
some jobs really suck, I remember having to work the day before xmas eve (night shift) home at 7am then back in at 11.30am so I could have xmas eve night free and ultimately xmas day morning.

I think the best jobs that have hours that provide more free time like I used to work 4x12 hour shifts and then get 4 days off every single week. Much better then a measly 2 day weekend. Even 4x9 hours and 3 days of a week is better then 5x8 hours and 2 day weekend.

Concerning working time directive which a few of you have pointed to, that is easy to workaround, the employer gives the excemption form to the employee which of course they dont have to sign but you can almost garantuee that people who dont sign it will be on the way out of the company.

Nugget
13-12-2005, 14:59
some jobs really suck, I remember having to work the day before xmas eve (night shift) home at 7am then back in at 11.30am so I could have xmas eve night free and ultimately xmas day morning.

I think the best jobs that have hours that provide more free time like I used to work 4x12 hour shifts and then get 4 days off every single week. Much better then a measly 2 day weekend. Even 4x9 hours and 3 days of a week is better then 5x8 hours and 2 day weekend.

Concerning working time directive which a few of you have pointed to, that is easy to workaround, the employer gives the excemption form to the employee which of course they dont have to sign but you can almost garantuee that people who dont sign it will be on the way out of the company.

4 x 12 hour shifts, then 4 days off? Doesn't that work out as an 8 day week?

Chrysalis
13-12-2005, 15:15
yes the days off were not the same each week it would be say mon-thurs off then the following week would be tues-fri, then wed-sat and so on.

gooner4life
13-12-2005, 15:32
Chrysalis, thats the exact shift I am on at the moment, and I love it as well, even the 2 12 hour night shifts dont bother me really the four days off gives you so much freedom, and of course its fantastic for booking holidays.

Chrysalis
13-12-2005, 15:58
booking 4 days of gives you an almost 2 week clean break. whilst normally you would need to book 10 days off.

gooner4life
13-12-2005, 16:35
Exactly, I have 12 days off for Xmas and needed to save 4 days holiday for that break, I would struggle to work 9-5 monday to friday again.

Scarlett
13-12-2005, 16:43

One of the Co's my Wife worked for made opting out part of the contract and you had to give 3 months notice to opt in (i.e. only do upto 48 hours a week...):Yikes:

Pia
14-12-2005, 01:21
...And??

That's life.That's your life... the one you chose. I've had a good few jobs in the past, good job, bad pay... or bad job, good pay... I could never find good job, good pay!... I still say the best thing to do if you aint happy in your job, is to find another job, one that you are happy with.. I know, that's easier said than done. If there is something you've always wanted to do in life, then do it, have a go... otherwise you'll regret it. even if the something you want to do doesn't work out, you can always say atleast I give it a go! I know what it's like to be stuck in a rut, in some cases the only way out of the rut is to do something not normal, like walk away from it all... why be unhappy in life, you control your own destiny, take control and make something of yourself... not easy is it? or is it? ;)

I wasn't complaining- i know its my choice... But your post should have been directed at the OP who IS moaning!:D

Chris W
14-12-2005, 21:47

And then taking the company to an employment tribunal for unfair dismissal....

Gareth
14-12-2005, 22:03
I like my job. I could earn a lot more if I went to work for another bank doing the same role, but I choose to not earn as much as I potentially could. Luckily the pay is enough that I can take the cut and still afford to live.

My employer was voted #1 Best Big Employer 2005 by the Times... the only downside is having to live in Swindon :erm:

However, when I worked in France it was the law to only work 35 hours per week. As I was doing more than that, my employer had to give me extra holiday entitlement to compensate. Having 55 days holiday per year is really great:cool:

Chrysalis
14-12-2005, 23:40
And then taking the company to an employment tribunal for unfair dismissal....

Would lose since they wont be dumb enough to make it obvious, it would be things like making minor things disciplary action leading to dismissal. Or in other cases in a factory I worked at there was no garantueed work for the agency staff and the people who didnt sign it were simply given no work at all.

Gareth
15-12-2005, 20:38
<pedantic>12pm is actually midday, so it's more than possible that she isn't at work when you speak to her at 12 at night ;) </pedantic>

dilli-theclaw
15-12-2005, 20:39
I've had my final confirmation of my christmas hours today. I'm doing 8am 'till midnight christmas eve - day - and boxing day and the day after.

Hey ho.

Graham M
15-12-2005, 20:41
I've had my final confirmation of my christmas hours today. I'm doing 8am 'till midnight christmas eve - day - and boxing day and the day after.

Hey ho.

time to get a new job then.

Angelus
15-12-2005, 20:42

Hey ho.

I got Xmas day and boxing day off and the thursday after xmas.

So its all ok :)

dilli-theclaw
15-12-2005, 20:43

Hey ho.
time to get a new job then.Whatever for? I'd consider it - but my job is very slack.

Hom3r
15-12-2005, 20:44
I work til 12pm at night sometimes or later, and have to be up for the breakfast shift and in work by 6.30am. That's life.

This is illegal, every worker should have atleast 11 hours between shifts.

In my previous job I was a health & safety rep. I'll see what I can find with the stuff I bought home.

Stuart
15-12-2005, 20:54
http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_regs/wtr0.htm

danielf
15-12-2005, 22:14

Hey ho.

But you get extra money for working those days, don't you?

dilli-theclaw
15-12-2005, 22:29

Hey ho.
But you get extra money for working those days, don't you?oooh yes indeedy :) I don't have a problem with doing it really althought it would be nice to be at home with the family.

Paul
15-12-2005, 23:04
Pia & Angelus - posts removed - take your arguments elsewhere, not on this forum.

poolking
16-12-2005, 00:27
oooh yes indeedy :) I don't have a problem with doing it really althought it would be nice to be at home with the family.

Thats very long hours, what job do you do?

dilli-theclaw
16-12-2005, 00:28
oooh yes indeedy :) I don't have a problem with doing it really althought it would be nice to be at home with the family.
Thats very long hours, what job do you do?I am a security guard.

poolking
16-12-2005, 00:29
I am a security guard.

Aah right. :)

danielf
16-12-2005, 00:47
I am a security guard.

If that was you in your avatar, I'd be tempted to pursue a career in robbery :drool: :D

Graham
16-12-2005, 04:08
I am a security guard.

If that was you in your avatar, I'd be tempted to pursue a career in robbery :drool: :D

<Mode = Naked Gun 2 1/2>

Busty Female Shop Assistant: Is this some kind of bust?

Lt. Frank Drebin: Well, it's very impressive, yes, but we need to ask you a few questions. ...

</Mode>

:D

Anonymouse
16-12-2005, 07:48
We had this issue at our place. The legal entitlement is not, as many employers think (or would like it to be), 8 hours - it's 11. Try Google for the Working Time Regulations, the UK's implementation of the EU Working Time Directive. You are entitled to not less than 11 consecutive hours between shifts.

---------- Post added at 06:43 ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 ----------

There must be more to it than a simple 11 hours break or it's illegal - otherwise an awful lot of peoples normal working hours are breaking the law.
They are, but employers either don't tell them or they don't know about current legislation. I presented our manager with hard copy taken directly from the DTI website - and he still wouldn't have it.

We won in the end, though. It was all to do with Good Friday; the policy here is that we don't do bank holidays. Fair enough...except that policy was established long before the night shift was created. We start work at 10pm and finish at 6am, so if we worked the Thursday night as usual, we're going into a bank holiday for 6 hours, and we don't do overtime these days either.

The first time this happened, we worked Wed/Thur 10 - 6 as normal, then 4 - 12 on the Thursday. 'Knackered' wasn't the word for it. The following year I made bloody sure to book that Thursday night off. The year after that, we got a new bloke on shift, and he told us about the Working Time Regulations. We told them to get stuffed. They still insisted the entitlement was 8 hours. We threatened to take it up with the union. Finally, we just worked the Thursday night as usual...but the *******s didn't pay us overtime for those 6 hours.

This is the 21st Century. Employers in this country seem to think it's the 19th.

---------- Post added at 06:48 ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 ----------

Wrong. The only part of the Directive that has an opt-out clause is the one limiting the max. number of hours per week to 48, i.e. employers can't make you do overtime. There are exceptions - police, fire brigade etc. - but for most jobs it still applies. If you opt out of that bit, all that means is that you can do overtime if you want to - it does not mean the entire Directive no longer applies.

Employers, of course, often don't explain this to their staff. Too many people have signed that opt-out clause and then been exploited by employers who now think they have a legal right to do so. They do not.

BTW, in keeping with the original topic: I hate my job, too. I imagine most of you already guessed that. :)

timewarrior2001
16-12-2005, 09:54
We had this issue at our place. The legal entitlement is not, as many employers think (or would like it to be), 8 hours - it's 11. Try Google for the Working Time Regulations, the UK's implementation of the EU Working Time Directive. You are entitled to not less than 11 consecutive hours between shifts.

---------- Post added at 06:43 ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 ----------

They are, but employers either don't tell them or they don't know about current legislation. I presented our manager with hard copy taken directly from the DTI website - and he still wouldn't have it.

We won in the end, though. It was all to do with Good Friday; the policy here is that we don't do bank holidays. Fair enough...except that policy was established long before the night shift was created. We start work at 10pm and finish at 6am, so if we worked the Thursday night as usual, we're going into a bank holiday for 6 hours, and we don't do overtime these days either.

The first time this happened, we worked Wed/Thur 10 - 6 as normal, then 4 - 12 on the Thursday. 'Knackered' wasn't the word for it. The following year I made bloody sure to book that Thursday night off. The year after that, we got a new bloke on shift, and he told us about the Working Time Regulations. We told them to get stuffed. They still insisted the entitlement was 8 hours. We threatened to take it up with the union. Finally, we just worked the Thursday night as usual...but the *******s didn't pay us overtime for those 6 hours.

This is the 21st Century. Employers in this country seem to think it's the 19th.

---------- Post added at 06:48 ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 ----------

Wrong. The only part of the Directive that has an opt-out clause is the one limiting the max. number of hours per week to 48, i.e. employers can't make you do overtime. There are exceptions - police, fire brigade etc. - but for most jobs it still applies. If you opt out of that bit, all that means is that you can do overtime if you want to - it does not mean the entire Directive no longer applies.

Employers, of course, often don't explain this to their staff. Too many people have signed that opt-out clause and then been exploited by employers who now think they have a legal right to do so. They do not.

BTW, in keeping with the original topic: I hate my job, too. I imagine most of you already guessed that. :)

I've just moved company under tupe (spit)
And I point blank refused to opt out of this. They tried several ways to say it was for my own good and I said any more than a 48 hour week was NOT in my best interests.

Chrysalis
16-12-2005, 14:41
[The only part of the Directive that has an opt-out clause is the one limiting the max. number of hours per week to 48, i.e. employers can't make you do overtime. There are exceptions - police, fire brigade etc. - but for most jobs it still applies. If you opt out of that bit, all that means is that you can do overtime if you want to - it does not mean the entire Directive no longer applies.

In this case I am still sort of right since they at least give the impression you are opting out fully. So the employee thinks that.

etccarmageddon
16-12-2005, 14:54
48 hours in a week is pretty high anyway so anything above that is getting silly.

cookie_365
16-12-2005, 20:15
Sorry if this is rubbing it in, but I've just done my last day's work of the year :)

(and I didn't really do much work today either ;) )

dilli-theclaw
16-12-2005, 20:17
(and I didn't really do much work today either ;) )I bet you still do more than me :D

Anonymouse
16-12-2005, 21:10
48 hours in a week is pretty high anyway so anything above that is getting silly.
Yes...but tell that to UK employers. We work the longest hours and have the shortest holidays of any member state of the EU. :mad:

Chris W
16-12-2005, 21:12
a friend of mine informed me yesterday that in France the standard full time week is 34hours, and they are pushing to get it reduced to 32....

What's the French for lazy again?!

Chrysalis
16-12-2005, 21:29
Blair has been quoted as saying uk is proud to have flexible working hours.

In other words we allow employers to stretch out long hours for their workers :(

Add to that there is a trend where more and more employees are employed via agencies on temp or short term contracts, making them have much less rights and lower wages. There are many laws that should be reformed where you dont have rights for holidays until 3 months, cant claim for unfair dismissal until a year etc. Proper employment should be where you have a permanent contract but now its more common for companies ot mass recruit in autumn for xmas period and then lay off staff in jan/feb.

Hom3r
16-12-2005, 21:38
Where I work installation guys who tralled the world opted out of the 48 hour week. because they wanted to get home/or the next job ASAP they often did 60-70 hours a week, but there dept. boss was good at keeping a note of there hours and made sure when they returned to UK they took compensatory rest to bring them under the 48 hours average over 13 weeks (I think)