PDA

View Full Version : Household hints

Maggy
10-12-2005, 19:00
I did try to find such a thread but couldn't find it..I think we do need one..;)

So please if you are seeking a household hint or have a good one to pass on please post it here.:tu:

As I'm looking for one I will ask if anyone can tell me how to remove the sticky residue left after scraping a label off a nicely varnished wood product that I cannot soak in water.As it is meant for food use I do need to remove the label but without harming the surface and without making it toxic.Anyone got any suggestions.

The only household hint I can offer is to remove red wine soak it with white wine..However I've not tried it myself mainly because I'd rather drink the wine. ;)

Theodoric
10-12-2005, 19:10
If you spill milk in the fridge, wipe it with a sodium bicarbonate solution to prevent the fridge smelling.

10-12-2005, 19:22
if you eat like a pig and have a habit of getting food down your front... dampen the stain wit a little water, apply a small amount of shaving foam and agitate with an old toothbrush until foam has gone....dry the damp patch and the stain should be gone :-)

andyl
10-12-2005, 19:25
If you start a thread, spell Household with an e! ;) :D Sorry Cog, I'm a bad man and will severely punish myself, maybe by strapping myself to an armchair in front of X Factor.

There's a household hint. Don't watch X Factor.

I'm useless in the house, so I'm going to be useless on this thread. As you'll have gathered!

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

I did try to find such a thread but couldn't find it..I think we do need one..;)

So please if you are seeking a household hint or have a good one to pass on please post it here.:tu:

As I'm looking for one I will ask if anyone can tell me how to remove the sticky residue left after scraping a label off a nicely varnished wood product that I cannot soak in water.As it is meant for food use I do need to remove the label but without harming the surface and without making it toxic.Anyone got any suggestions. Lighter fluid?

tick
10-12-2005, 19:51
any spray can
it the propellant that moves the stain.

bb31
10-12-2005, 19:56
Hairspray will remove marker pen - a tip given to me previosly from anqua- and it definately works!!!

Angua
10-12-2005, 19:56
Permanant marker pen on hard surfaces) can be removed by spraying with hairspray and wiping clean. :D

After chopping onions or garlic rinse hands in cold water and wipe wet hands round a stainless steel sink.

luftys
10-12-2005, 22:08
As I'm looking for one I will ask if anyone can tell me how to remove the sticky residue left after scraping a label off a nicely varnished wood product that I cannot soak in water.As it is meant for food use I do need to remove the label but without harming the surface and without making it toxic.Anyone got any suggestions.

Have you tryed a Hairdryer only on warm,and a soft cloth to wipe it off:disturbd:

Chimaera
10-12-2005, 22:12

Have you tried baby oil to get the residue off? Or WD 40? Put the oil on the residue and leave it for a minute or two to soak in, then scrape off with a blunt knife. That's how they did it on 'How Clean Is Your House'!

Paul K
10-12-2005, 22:13

The only household hint I can offer is to remove red wine soak it with white wine..However I've not tried it myself mainly because I'd rather drink the wine. ;)
how to remove stickers (http://www.ehow.com/how_13445_remove-stickers.html)

luftys
10-12-2005, 22:18
Have you tried baby oil to get the residue off?

:naughty: :naughty:

Chimaera
10-12-2005, 22:19

:blush: Perve! :blush:
You can use it for innocent purposes too, Luftys! ;)

Maggy
10-12-2005, 22:31

Those who can't contribute a household hint please leave the thread.:bsmack:

punky
10-12-2005, 23:25
Nail varish remover is best for sticky residue. Should be fine for a wood if it has no veneered or fancy finishes, but try it in an inconspicuos place first.

Failing that, A hair dryer, soapy water and elbow grease works wonders but DON'T tie a rag to the hair dryer as someone here suggested, as this will block the ventilation which could cause the hair dryer to overheat and burn out.

---------- Post added at 23:23 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

Another one, to remove grass stains, rub with alcohol, it breaks down the chlorophyll.

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:23 ----------

Another one, to remove chewing gum, freeze it.

luftys
10-12-2005, 23:52
Candle wax on carpet
cover wax with thick brown paper then use an iron on paper:D

patrickp
11-12-2005, 02:43

I've always found white spirit (turpentine substitute) is favourite for removing label marks etc. It's a good organic solvent, but doesn't evaporate too fast, so you've got time for it to soften the glue and for you to wipe it off.

Solvents that evaporate faster (methylated spirits etc) just leave the glue behind. I've used it on album and book covers etc; it doesn't leave marks, except to dull the surface of some plastics (which makes me suspect the white spirit I buy may have a little acetone in it).

Edit: this should be Ok for surfaces that are going to be used for food etc, but to be sure, a little soap and warm water will remove any trace of it.

Halcyon
11-12-2005, 12:04
- Use old Christmas cards fromlast year and cut them out into nice circular designs. They'l be great for tag's on presents.

- If you spill red wine on a table cloth, spread some salt over it and leave it for a while. Then it should wash out fine.

poolking
11-12-2005, 12:24
Or become a cheapskate, all those christmas cards you never got round to sending to people, send those ones out again and those you can no longer send to, tippex out their names and put some new ones in. :D

cookie_365
11-12-2005, 12:46
Why has no-one mentioned this (http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/H/how_clean_is_your_house/tips.html) yet ??

Though personally, if something's looking slightly less than 100%, I'd much rather go shopping & buy a new one ;)

Nidge
11-12-2005, 13:53
To clean burnt pans use Cola, bring to simmer then wipe clean. If it does that to a pan whats it doing to our stomachs?

Maggy
11-12-2005, 16:47
Well as the chopping board had (on the sticky label :rolleyes:) instructions to occasionally wipe the board with vegetable oil and that was one of the suggestions(even if it was baby oil) I tried that.After soaking and gently scraping with a wallpaper scraper/spatula I managed to get them off and the
nasty adhesive residue as well. :tu:

So thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I suggest that if you do have any more useful handy tips that work that you come here and post them....I will if I find any that actually work.:tu:

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

Have you tried baby oil to get the residue off? Or WD 40? Put the oil on the residue and leave it for a minute or two to soak in, then scrape off with a blunt knife. That's how they did it on 'How Clean Is Your House'!
Thanks Chimmy. :tu: My beautiful Butchers Block thanks you as well.

Enuff
11-12-2005, 17:05
It baffles me, the type of people who actually discover these remadies... like the cola in a burnt pan.. lol, who thought of that? Also nasel rub on fungus infected toenails really does help get rid of it! but what type of person thought "I know, I'll try using something that helps me breath better on my mushroom like feet!" strange but brilliant!

Theodoric
11-12-2005, 18:32
You can remove chewing gum from the carpet by applying liquid nitrogen and then smashing the frozen gum with a hammer. OK, I haven't done it personally but I have smashed rubber tubing that had been immersed in liquid nitrogen.

PS If you can't get liquid nitrogen, liquid air could well be an acceptable substitute.

PPS I really, really wouldn't recommend the use of liquid oxygen.

Wicked_and_Crazy
11-12-2005, 21:15

ermmm wheres yours??:D

Spill red wine and the carpet or table cloth. Put salt on it so soak it up, and then wash it

Ramrod
11-12-2005, 21:46
Well as the chopping board had (on the sticky label :rolleyes:) instructions to occasionally wipe the board with vegetable oil and that was one of the suggestions(even if it was baby oil) I tried that.Rub coarse salt and a little water into the chopping board occasionally to keep it extra clean.....
........WD40 gets crayon off walls in the home.....

Theodoric
12-12-2005, 11:01
If you're having trouble with a sticky Yale key, rub the serrated edge side with a pencil - the softer the better. The graphite acts as a lubricant.

gazzae
12-12-2005, 11:06
To clean burnt pans use Cola, bring to simmer then wipe clean. If it does that to a pan whats it doing to our stomachs?

I wonder what the acid in our stomachs would do to the pan.

Salu
12-12-2005, 12:01

I know you have solved the problem but although these are meant for getting the adhesive off your skin they can be used to get rid of the marks you were talking about. If you've ever struggled to remove a plaster adhesive mark from your skin, especially after a long while, it can be hard. This stuff works incredibly well. You can get it in a bottle too.....no need to scrub it just dissolves the adhesive.....and no, I've not taken a bung from a medical rep.....:)

Saaf_laandon_mo
12-12-2005, 12:05
Another one, to remove chewing gum, freeze it.

so if its stuck in my little un's hair, its ok to put her in the chest freezer?

only joking.......... but anyway anopther useful one is wd40 is great for cleaning slate surfaces.

Maggy
12-12-2005, 12:34
ermmm wheres yours??:D

Spill red wine and the carpet or table cloth. Put salt on it so soak it up, and then wash it

I was seeking help...and I did offer one right at the start...:PP:

ian@huth
12-12-2005, 12:53
To clean burnt pans use Cola, bring to simmer then wipe clean. If it does that to a pan whats it doing to our stomachs?I once saw a large lorry unloading pallets of coke at a warehouse. After one side of the lorry was unloaded the driver turned the lorry round to unload the other side (curtains had been pulled back. Several pallets tippled out onto the concrete road which was soon swimming in coke. You would not believe how clean the road was after it had been swilled down.

I came across a useful hint when my granddaughter went to sleep with silly puuty in her hand and it got tangled up in her hair. It was a right mess and my wife and daughter had tried all sorts of things to get it out with no luck and were prepared to do the ultimate and cut it out. Google provided the solution which was to work liberal amounts of peanut butter into the hair and then shampoo it off. Worked a treat.

Angua
12-12-2005, 13:02
Rub a candle along curtain track that has started to stick.
Soap rubbed on the teeth of a metal zip should help the zip action.

Salu; what product are you recommending that would suggest a back hander from a rep?

Maggy
12-12-2005, 13:16
I came across a useful hint when my granddaughter went to sleep with silly puuty in her hand and it got tangled up in her hair. It was a right mess and my wife and daughter had tried all sorts of things to get it out with no luck and were prepared to do the ultimate and cut it out. Google provided the solution which was to work liberal amounts of peanut butter into the hair and then shampoo it off. Worked a treat.

To be avoided for those with a peanut allergy one would assume...So in their case I suppose hair removal would be the only solution. ;)

Hom3r
12-12-2005, 13:22
Coke can also be used to clean tea & coffee spoons, that have been stained.

You should never clean a teapot just rinse it, let it go that browny-black it improves the flavour of the tea.

Maggy
12-12-2005, 13:25
Coke can also be used to clean tea & coffee spoons, that have been stained.

You should never clean a teapot just rinse it, let it go that browny-black it improves the flavour of the tea.

Make sure it's not mould though. ;)

Nugget
12-12-2005, 13:32
To be avoided for those with a peanut allergy one would assume...So in their case I suppose hair removal would be the only solution. ;)

Why do you think I shave my head :D

Bifta
12-12-2005, 13:46
Thicken up runny low-fat yoghurt by stirring in a spoonful of lard.

drill a one inch diameter hole in your refrigerator door. This will allow you to check that the light goes off when the door is closed.

Housewives, I find the best way to get two bottles of washing-up liquid for the price of one is by putting one in your shopping trolley and the other in your coat pocket.

Old telephone directories make ideal personal address books. Simply cross out the names and address of people you don't know.

No time for a bath? Wrap yourself in masking tape and remove the dirt by simply peeling it off.

Expensive hair gels are a con. Marmalade is a much cheaper alternative, but beware of bees in the summer.

</coat>

Maggy
12-12-2005, 13:48
Thicken up runny low-fat yoghurt by stirring in a spoonful of lard.

drill a one inch diameter hole in your refrigerator door. This will allow you to check that the light goes off when the door is closed.

Housewives, I find the best way to get two bottles of washing-up liquid for the price of one is by putting one in your shopping trolley and the other in your coat pocket.

Old telephone directories make ideal personal address books. Simply cross out the names and address of people you don't know.

No time for a bath? Wrap yourself in masking tape and remove the dirt by simply peeling it off.

Expensive hair gels are a con. Marmalade is a much cheaper alternative, but beware of bees in the summer.

</coat>

:hugs: :kiss::kiss::kiss:

Halcyon
12-12-2005, 13:54
a bit of washing up liquid on door hinges soon stops them squeeking.

Nugget
12-12-2005, 13:59

Alternatively, I've always found that oil does the trick just as well ;) :p:

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Save electricity by turning off all the lights in your house and walking around wearing a miner's hat.

If you smell gas, locate the suspected leak by striking an ordinary match in every room in the house until a loud explosion reveals the source of the escaping gas.

Angua
12-12-2005, 13:59
And this idea cleans them as well ;)

Saaf_laandon_mo
12-12-2005, 14:12
Shall we rename this thread to "The Wiz Tips back catalogue"

andyl
12-12-2005, 14:17
Coke can also be used to clean tea & coffee spoons, that have been stained.. My friend Mr Cameron says it's excellent for blocked noses too. :)

danielf
12-12-2005, 14:40
I wonder what the acid in our stomachs would do to the pan.

There's only one way to find out. Vomit in your pan, then put the pan on the stove...

SMHarman
12-12-2005, 15:50
Coke can also be used to clean tea & coffee spoons, that have been stained.Flat Coke is good for an upset stomach.

Millay
12-12-2005, 16:26
When a pets water bottle goes green and manky on the inside, dont use bleach etc, but fill the bottle by about a centimetre with rice, then fill it half way with cold water, then stick finger in end and shake vigerously, makes them good as new..

monkey2468
12-12-2005, 16:56
Candle wax on carpet
cover wax with thick brown paper then use an iron on paper:D

Wax crayon on hard surfaces, use a normal pencil rubber.

Seti
13-12-2005, 01:53
For keeping glass tables clean don't use polish as the residue builds up over time and makes the glass look dull. Instead use lemon juice and kitchen towel. Buff to a shine using a CLEAN duster. Do the same with mirrors.

Instead of using air freshners open a window or altrernatively use an orange and cloves placed inconspicuously in your house! Or get some weird incense stick scents and swear you are turning into a Buddhist.

Make your own bath soaks by purchasing sea salt and lavender and bunging them in a jar. Shake well and add three drops of essential oil, shake once more.

Sian

Theodoric
13-12-2005, 19:50
For keeping glass tables clean don't use polish as the residue builds up over time and makes the glass look dull. Instead use lemon juice and kitchen towel. Buff to a shine using a CLEAN duster. Do the same with mirrors.

Instead of using air freshners open a window or altrernatively use an orange and cloves placed inconspicuously in your house! Or get some weird incense stick scents and swear you are turning into a Buddhist.

Make your own bath soaks by purchasing sea salt and lavender and bunging them in a jar. Shake well and add three drops of essential oil, shake once more.

Sian
Er, bath salts are made from sodium carbonate plus perfume and colorants. Did it years ago for some school fair or other.

punky
29-12-2005, 02:49
Here's a few I have just picked up watching Mythbusters...

Cola can clean:

1. Blood
2. Chrome better than a commercial chrome cleaner
3. Pennies

(Other Mythbusters episodes) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_episodes)

Orior
29-12-2005, 15:32
Never ever ask a man who wears a cowboy hat and boots do tarmac your drive.

Chris
29-12-2005, 15:35

Never allow any man who asks to tarmac your drive. :erm:

luftys
29-12-2005, 18:40
that right :Yikes: just send me the money by post and I will send you a DIY drive kit:D

Tuftus
29-12-2005, 23:26
Not seen the other pages....

but if you boil a pan / kettle dry, you can revivie it with Coka Cola. Boil it up in the soiled pan and then scrub it.... it will come clean in no time...

Tried and tested by me.

Chris
03-01-2006, 10:29
Not seen the other pages....

but if you boil a pan / kettle dry, you can revivie it with Coka Cola. Boil it up in the soiled pan and then scrub it.... it will come clean in no time...

Tried and tested by me.

I might just try this later. I let our steamer boil dry last week and the black vegetable juice residue is still stuck to the bottom after days of soaking. If I can't get it off I may patent it as a new industrial glue.

Paul K
03-01-2006, 10:45
If that fails Chris (and it shouldn't as it's a tip used in "How clean is my hovel.. I mean house" then try white vinegar in the steamer, turn it on for 15 minutes but keep it near an extractor or open window ;)

Tuftus
03-01-2006, 11:20
I might just try this later. I let our steamer boil dry last week and the black vegetable juice residue is still stuck to the bottom after days of soaking. If I can't get it off I may patent it as a new industrial glue.

Sounds familiar...

Strangley enough this is exactly how I found out about that tip.

:p:

Chris
04-01-2006, 15:54
Well, I tried the coke ... and forgot it was on the hob, and boiled it dry. Pan bottom worse than before. So, I tried the vinegar, and now the atmosphere in the house is borderline unbreathable. My eyes are still watering from going back into the kitchen to take it off the heat. Good thing Mrs T is out, but I'm probably still a dead man when she comes home. :disturbd:

Nugget
04-01-2006, 15:58
Well, I tried the coke ... and forgot it was on the hob, and boiled it dry. Pan bottom worse than before. So, I tried the vinegar, and now the atmosphere in the house is borderline unbreathable. My eyes are still watering from going back into the kitchen to take it off the heat. Good thing Mrs T is out, but I'm probably still a dead man when she comes home. :disturbd:

Can't you just explain that it would be wrong just to kill you because of your mental instability - let's face it, what's the odds of you forgetting about it twice :D

Anyway, couldn't you just blame the smell on a wild haggis that had run in and left you a present :disturbd:

Chris
04-01-2006, 16:00
Can't you just explain that it would be wrong just to kill you because of your mental instability - let's face it, what's the odds of you forgetting about it twice :D

Anyway, couldn't you just blame the smell on a wild haggis that had run in and left you a present :disturbd:

No joy, wild haggis don't smell like rancid builder's caulk. I may have to evacuate, it's infiltrating the dining room as well now. (cough cough!)

Nugget
04-01-2006, 16:02
No joy, wild haggis don't smell like rancid builder's caulk. I may have to evacuate, it's infiltrating the dining room as well now. (cough cough!)

Ah, well in that case, couldn't you just arrange a quick delivery of rancid builders caulk :D

Failing that, put some cotton wool up your nose and, when Mrs T gets back, just deny any knowledge of the smell ;)

Stuartbe
04-01-2006, 16:05
Just hacked into Chris T's kitchen webcam :D

homealone
04-01-2006, 16:06
If you have any bicarbonate of soda, you could put some out in a dish, which may help a little, with the smell, Chris??

- anyway - how is the pan ;)

Chris
04-01-2006, 16:09
No bicarb unfortunately. We do have two extractor fans in the ground floor though, and a fairly large coal fire, so there's plenty to draw the acid-laced air away. Hopefully before the family gets home!

marky
04-01-2006, 16:24
Just face it

Your going to Die! :PP:

Shaun
04-01-2006, 16:27
Just face it

Your going to Die! :PP:

From the acid laced air or the wife? :erm:

marky
04-01-2006, 16:29
He has a choice then, gas chamber or death be lethal rolling pin :D

Shaun
04-01-2006, 16:32
or death be lethal rolling pin :D
Coal shovel, she can't get in the kitchen to get at the rolling pin :D

marky
04-01-2006, 16:49
There we go ladies, a houshold hint, if you cant reach the rolling pin a shovel will work just fine :disturbd:

Chris
04-01-2006, 17:20
Well, here she comes up the drive now. This will be the ... ahem ... acid test. :disturbd: :D The pan is a little improved by the way. The vegetable gunk has gone, at least. It's just the burned-on residue of a glass of Pepsi Max I need to get off now.

I can feel my lungs dissolving.

Stuartbe
04-01-2006, 17:24
See you Chris, Nice to know you m8 :)

Dont worry, We will all come to your wake :D

Chris
04-01-2006, 17:30
Well, I'm still here. :D

She asked 'what is that smell?' and when I told her she snorted and said 'this is what you call working from home is it?'

:disturbd: ;) :D

Paul K
04-01-2006, 17:51
No bicarb unfortunately. We do have two extractor fans in the ground floor though, and a fairly large coal fire, so there's plenty to draw the acid-laced air away. Hopefully before the family gets home!
LOL did warn you to have windows open ;) Did it work though..... apart from stripping the insides of your lungs???

Chris
04-01-2006, 17:58
LOL did warn you to have windows open ;) Did it work though..... apart from stripping the insides of your lungs???

If I'd boiled it for 15 minutes as per your instructions every living thing for half a mile would have choked to death m8. ;) :D

I managed about five minutes before having to abandon my little experiment - it did seem to get some of the muck off though. :)

Paul K
04-01-2006, 18:02
Try the coke again at some time but don't boil it dry, just boiling it for a few mins should sort it out. Boiling it dry has a bit of an adverse effect as you may have noticed :p:

danielf
04-01-2006, 18:03
If I'd boiled it for 15 minutes as per your instructions every living thing for half a mile would have choked to death m8. ;) :D

I managed about five minutes before having to abandon my little experiment - it did seem to get some of the muck off though. :)

Ah, but you should have used Balsemic Vinegar. Much smoother than your average vinegar ;)

Tuftus
04-01-2006, 18:47
Try the coke again at some time but don't boil it dry, just boiling it for a few mins should sort it out. Boiling it dry has a bit of an adverse effect as you may have noticed :p:

Agreed, it does not even need to be the expensive stuff!

I sorted my boiled dry steamer with a 15p bottle of no name value coke...

Boil > scrub > boil > scrub > boil > scrub > good as new.

Angua
04-01-2006, 19:31
It may well be the "sugar" in the cola which helps too.

We get the vinegar fumes every time we have roast pork (marinating the skin in vinegar gives nice crispy crackling but does stink the street out) :erm:

Maggy
04-01-2006, 19:41
Can't you just buy a replacement part? Or a new steamer?

If you try industrial strength sulphuric acid next time it would be the perfect excuse to buy one of those really good electrical steamer things. ;)

Chimaera
04-01-2006, 19:59
Yes - we've just got a half price Tefal one in Tesco and it's brilliant - I've never used one before but now I'm converted. Another tip - we use filtered water in ours as the water is very hard round here, that seems to stop it furring up (and the kettle too).

Chris
04-01-2006, 20:21
Can't you just buy a replacement part? Or a new steamer?

If you try industrial strength sulphuric acid next time it would be the perfect excuse to buy one of those really good electrical steamer things. ;)

It's a stove-top one, the burnt-on stuff is just in the bottom of the pot, and we use the pot for cooking in as well.

Maggy
04-01-2006, 20:29
Are you still making your own bread? :)

luftys
04-01-2006, 21:21
use Coca Cola because it can remove
toilet stains.

homealone
04-01-2006, 21:26
Yes - we've just got a half price Tefal one in Tesco and it's brilliant - I've never used one before but now I'm converted. Another tip - we use filtered water in ours as the water is very hard round here, that seems to stop it furring up (and the kettle too).

filtered water in the steamer is ok, but remember 'filtering' water in the sense of reducing scale, also increases the sodium (salt) content of the water, this affects taste ( and may also be important if you have high blood pressure) so the kettle is a different matter ;) - I prefer my tea made with hard water :)

Chimaera
04-01-2006, 21:33

filtered water in the steamer is ok, but remember 'filtering' water in the sense of reducing scale, also increases the sodium (salt) content of the water, this affects taste ( and may also be important if you have high blood pressure) so the kettle is a different matter ;) - I prefer my tea made with hard water :)
Ta for the warning homer - and I'll remember to make your tea with tap water next time you pop round for a cuppa! ;)

homealone
04-01-2006, 22:04
Ta for the warning homer - and I'll remember to make your tea with tap water next time you pop round for a cuppa! ;)

- it has already been 'filtered' three times, where you live, hasn't it? ;) :erm: :D

Shaun
04-01-2006, 22:10
I prefer my tea made with hard water :)

.....and Yorkshire Tea for hard water. Yum.:D

Chris
05-01-2006, 10:23

Yes indeed, we rarely buy it at all. :)

Maggy
05-01-2006, 11:57
Yes indeed, we rarely buy it at all. :)

Ok will pick your brains by PM about a breadmaker...;)

danielf
05-01-2006, 12:04

We use the Panasonic SD253. We are very pleased with it, and it gets rave reviews :)

Maggy
05-01-2006, 12:08
We use the Panasonic SD253. We are very pleased with it, and it gets rave reviews :)

Lets not get :notopic: in this thread.

I'll start another thread.:tu:

SMHarman
10-01-2006, 15:48
You mean the thread that has spent the last few pages discussing the bottom of one steamer - that could be a thread of its own.