PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy iron

Russ
08-12-2005, 21:04
About a year ago I bought one of those 'value' Tesco irons.

It was fine for most of the year but a few months ago it started acting erratically, for example as it heated up, the water inside would dribble out of the holes in the base. Other times when I pressed the button for steam, I'd get something like a powdery substance coming out with it. Other times the thermostat setting would be all over the place - when I'd need it on a low setting (like tonight while ironing my brand new Man Utd shirt), it would be actually be too hot to use and will almost ruin whatever I'm ironing (as what happened to my last United shirt). This happened with the last fairly cheap iron I used.

OK OK I know the score - avoid cheap irons but surely I shouldn't expect this sort of thing?

Chris W
08-12-2005, 21:16
i think the powdery substance is due to hard water... do what mrs does and use water from the britta filter :)

cookie_365
08-12-2005, 21:17
Take it back; Tescos are usually pretty good when it comes to this kind of thing.

Russ
08-12-2005, 21:19
Take it back; Tescos are usually pretty good when it comes to this kind of thing.

It was about a year ago, I paid cash and haven't got the receipt... :(

Marge
08-12-2005, 21:19
hang on a minute Russ, you actually confess to owning and being able to use an iron :eek: :eek: well i never, miracles do happen :scratch:

Gareth
08-12-2005, 21:20
#Washing machines (and irons..?) live longer with Calgon :D

Seriously, we too have hard water here, and kettles, washing machines, boilers, irons, etc... fur-up due to the calcium. Where possible, we use a Britta water filter too.

Russ
08-12-2005, 21:22
hang on a minute Russ, you actually confess to owning and being able to use an iron :eek: :eek: well i never, miracles do happen :scratch:

Clarie has trained me well :D

Wicked_and_Crazy
08-12-2005, 21:24
i think the powdery substance is due to hard water... do what mrs does and use water from the britta filter :)

its will still lime up even if you do that but a bit slower.

Your supposed to flush the iron out after every use if you read the instructions. On some irons you turn the steam dial right around until it pops out and you can withdraw the pin and this creates higher pressure steam to flush it out.

If you cant do that id recommend that you put some Viakal through it every 3 months or so. This should disolve the lime. However make sure you flush the solution out thoroughly

The lime might be causing the thermostat you receive false readings

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

you could always get a water softener installed

Maggy
08-12-2005, 22:23

I thought Wales had 'soft' water? :confused:

Wicked_and_Crazy
08-12-2005, 22:28
I thought Wales had 'soft' water? :confused:

Thats the people ;)

homealone
08-12-2005, 22:56
this is a 'value' iron at about a fiver, right ??

- a pack of razor blades costs me more than that, why do we pay big bucks for some things, but expect endless use out of other, much cheaper, stuff ??

- not meant as a flame, Russ, you sparked a thought, is all ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
08-12-2005, 23:05
this is a 'value' iron at about a fiver, right ??

- a pack of razor blades costs me more than that, why do we pay big bucks for some things, but expect endless use out of other, much cheaper, stuff ??

- not meant as a flame, Russ, you sparked a thought, is all ;)

Thats so true. I think it comes from the mentality that its an electrical item and therefore traditionally they cost more than other items so therefore they're expected to last. However over the last few years they've become much cheaper but our mindset hasnt changed.

I know ive at times gone for the really cheap option on the basis of "ill replace it next year when it breaks down" 5 years later its still working and ive forgot how little i paid.

Russ
08-12-2005, 23:08
But I'd expect more than a year's use out of it though.

monkey2468
08-12-2005, 23:13

I bought an (what I would consider expensive) iron from argos about 18 months ago. the water started leaking into the the electrics (which killed it). I took it back to argos without reciept and said it was given as a house warming present about 10 months ago. they no longer make the particular iron so as an exchange could choose a different brand.:D
So you havn't even had it a year, have you Russ;)

Russ
08-12-2005, 23:16
Hmmm, tesco are known for having good customer service - I'll try taking it back this weekend and see how far I get :)

Angua
08-12-2005, 23:23
Hmmm. If you paid £30 for an iron which lasted 5 years would you complain (average annual cost there is £6)? To me if you pay a £5 and it lasts a year you have had good value. I haven't got the nerve to try and pull a fast one on purchase time either.

Russ
08-12-2005, 23:24
I'm not really pulling a fast one - I've had it less than a year.

nffc
08-12-2005, 23:24
Dunno why you're ironing youre ManUre shirts though - jesting aside for a moment, I don't iron my forest shirts, mainly because I can't be bothered, but also because they don't really need it, they're not too crumpled when they've dried, and it looks almost too pristine to be a football shirt otherwise.

Your iron does sound as though it's "gone" though, you could try descaling as a short term fix.

Wicked_and_Crazy
08-12-2005, 23:25

Only guaranteed for a year

Angua
08-12-2005, 23:25

Whatever the original price the standard guarantee usually covers a year.

Russ
08-12-2005, 23:26
Dunno why you're ironing youre ManUre shirts though - jesting aside for a moment, I don't iron my forest shirts, mainly because I can't be bothered, but also because they don't really need it, they're not too crumpled when they've dried, and it looks almost too pristine to be a football shirt otherwise.

When I'm about to go to my parents' house for sunday lunch, everything needs to look ironed :disturbd: :D

Angua
08-12-2005, 23:29
Use a damp tea towel between your clothes and the iron and turn the steam off (it might just scrape you by). ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
08-12-2005, 23:34
When I'm about to go to my parents' house for sunday lunch, everything needs to look ironed :disturbd: :D

i guess an iron hole in the back will make it look ironed ;)

homealone
08-12-2005, 23:35

they probably will replace it, the cost will go back to the manufacturer, Tesco may even fine them over and above the actual price, someone will probably get disciplined, (not at Tesco)

The 'answer', in my opinion, is not to buy 'electrical' goods from supermarkets - yeah, right ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
08-12-2005, 23:42
they probably will replace it, the cost will go back to the manufacturer, Tesco may even fine them over and above the actual price, someone will probably get disciplined, (not at Tesco)

The 'answer', in my opinion, is not to buy 'electrical' goods from supermarkets - yeah, right ;)

yeah tesco screw the suppliers price down, quality goes out the window and then Tesco would throw it back to them and fine them. Sound so so familiar.

nffc
08-12-2005, 23:45
That's my point, they do (at least mine does).

Sometimes I've been to church in footy shirts, probably wrong, but :p:

Millay
08-12-2005, 23:56
Hmm footy shirt circa £45 iron £6 i know i wouldnt trust it to iron expensive clothes... pay peanuts get monkys kinda thing.. I brought a proper stema iron two years ago for £70 pounds, (one of those ones with a proper steam generator). I use de-ionised water and its working as good as the day I brought it. Its the best thing I ever brought.. I always shy away from ultra cheap elctronics.. they cant survive normal use!..

just my two pence worth...

I can almost guarentee Tesco will replace it btw

Russ
08-12-2005, 23:59
Hmm footy shirt circa £45 iron £6 i know i wouldnt trust it to iron expensive clothes...

It only cost me £15 - a mate of mine went to Thailand and bought one for me :D ;)

I certainly hope so - we'll see how it goes.

danielf
09-12-2005, 00:11
It only cost me £15 - a mate of mine went to Thailand and bought one for me :D ;)

I got three kits (shirt + shorts) in Hong Kong a while ago. The lot cost £10. :D You've been ripped off...

(OK, mine don't have Nike, Umbro, whatever logos on them. Otherwise they look fine) :)

homealone
09-12-2005, 00:25

yeah tesco screw the suppliers price down, quality goes out the window and then Tesco would throw it back to them and fine them. Sound so so familiar.

and the sooner it moves away from the food sector, the better, in my opinion - I am biased, though ;) - not 'officially' in any sense, of course ;)

Millay
09-12-2005, 00:28
and the sooner it moves away from the food sector, the better, in my opinion - I am biased, though ;) - not 'officially' in any sense, of course ;)
I dont shop at tesco but thats another thread...
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33677&highlight=tesco+local

Nidge
09-12-2005, 05:52
Hmm footy shirt circa £45 iron £6 i know i wouldnt trust it to iron expensive clothes... pay peanuts get monkys kinda thing.. I brought a proper stema iron two years ago for £70 pounds, (one of those ones with a proper steam generator). I use de-ionised water and its working as good as the day I brought it. Its the best thing I ever brought.. I always shy away from ultra cheap elctronics.. they cant survive normal use!..

just my two pence worth...

My missus has got one of them, did you notice how I said my missus? I bought it her last year for her birthday.

Chimaera
09-12-2005, 06:46
Don't bank on Tesco having good CS either, especially if you haven't got a receipt - we had terrible trouble getting a faulty digibox replaced after 2 months because we had lost the receipt, even though we could prove the purchase on our bank statement!

Chris
09-12-2005, 10:29
What's an iron? :angel:

Nugget
09-12-2005, 10:32
What's an iron? :angel:

Type of metal, innit?

:)

Maggy
09-12-2005, 16:22
My missus has got one of them, did you notice how I said my missus? I bought it her last year for her birthday.

And you are still living? ;)