PDA

View Full Version : So what would you have done ??

Marge
02-11-2003, 17:52
Coming back from my shopping trip at Asda this afternoon I saw a car crash happen right in front of me, car going straight on was hit by car turning right. I rang the police and being a first aider checked the kids who were in the cars were ok and the drivers, gave a statement when the police arrived and then came home.

Now there were at least 2 if not 3 cars in front of me who saw the accident happen too but they just drove off. Have mentioned what happened to a couple of friends who said people just don't want to get involved. Have we turned into such a nation that we are happy to look away and turn the other cheek ???

Edit: One of the chaps was driving his wifes brand new mini which she had bought only 2 weeks before :cry:

Paul
02-11-2003, 17:59
The last accident I witnessed I was on a deadline to get somewhere so I simply rang the police and gave my name as a witness.
From your POV I would have appeared to just drive off, but that was not the case.

However, people in general will not get involved and the police only have themselves to blame, since they seem to harrass and prosecute people who get involved more than the original criminals these days.

Mark W
02-11-2003, 18:18
if i remember rightly it is an offence in france to witness an RTA and leave the scene without rendering assistance. In my point of view thats a good thing, as yes, it seems to be human nature not to 'get involved'.....although most will be quite willing just to watch - hense 'rubbernecking' on motorways :(

personally, i KNOW i cant not do anything if i saw an accident happen in front of me - has appened twice, one was rather serious (car was hit by a juggernaught as it was pulling out of a petrol station - i was on a bus at the time, and was the only one (well, and the bus driver) to get off to go and see if the couple were ok - the other 15 odd people just sat there and pressed their noses up againsed the windows :dozey:

Marge
02-11-2003, 18:37
Well I've just had a phone call from one of the parties involved to thank me for taking the time to stop and help. Yep have to agree about the rubber-neckers, surprised some didn't get the flask and muffins out :erm:

tomw
02-11-2003, 19:10
You have to give it to france the seem to have some good rules & regs ie. you cant leave a RTA you have to carry a first aid kit and warning triangle and proberly lots more that i didnt know about
But on the other hand they do drive like bloody idiots

Ramrod
02-11-2003, 19:15
Reminds me of the time I was about 16 and on the tube. Guy was obviously in distress, don't know if he was drunk/epileptic or what(couldn't smell alcohol on him) but he became semi-concious. NOBODY exept me (and it was a crowded carriage) was prepared to get involved. I made him as comfortable on the floor as I could and at the next station, Lancaster gate, I got out and told the driver about him. The total apparent indifference that everyone displayed has always stayed with me- I even asked people to help me with him but they suddenly seemed to turn deaf and blind. Not one person helped:confused:

Bex
02-11-2003, 19:31
when i was young dad always stopped at crashes, he used to carry a first aid kit if i remember rightly, and i remember us stopping at a few accidents...since i don't drive i couldnt say yes i would personally pull over to help, but i would make sure whoever was driving did ..my friend and i did pull over once when a women's car had broken down, it was getting late, so we stayed with her until the RAC arrived

was in leeds town centre at xmas last year...stood at a bus stop outsideapub, there were about twenty of us there.....anyway a guy collapsed outside the pub..turned out he had diabetis and his blood sugar levels were low..anyway myself and my best mate and someone who was passing helped the gentleman...i ran in to get him a glass of water from the pub....and we called an ambulance..kept him talking until they got there and he went off to hosptial...we were a bit shaken up so we went into the pub for a beer....the young lad who had given me the water (whom i had explained the situation too) gave us a free pint (not why i helped though obviously)

Mark W
02-11-2003, 19:35
You have to give it to france the seem to have some good rules & regs ie. you cant leave a RTA you have to carry a first aid kit and warning triangle and proberly lots more that i didnt know about
But on the other hand they do drive like bloody idiots

Another cool thing they are doing where my folks life is putting 4ft black cardboard sillouettes ( :erm: sic) with a red thunderbolt through the head beside the road where every person has died in an RTA. So on a few iffy corners youll have 10 or more all crammed together - gives you something to think about as you drive past.....

ntluser
03-11-2003, 13:15
Another cool thing they are doing where my folks life is putting 4ft black cardboard sillouettes ( :erm: sic) with a red thunderbolt through the head beside the road where every person has died in an RTA. So on a few iffy corners youll have 10 or more all crammed together - gives you something to think about as you drive past.....

Mind you, there's also the danger that you're so interested in the silhouettes, you take your eyes off the road and cause another accident. ;)

Have to agree, however, with some of the comments above about the lack of willingness on the part of some members of the public to become involved.

Maybe we should include a GCSE course on Citizenship in the National Curriculum and help people to become more public-spirited.

timewarrior2001
03-11-2003, 14:28
Have to agree, however, with some of the comments above about the lack of willingness on the part of some members of the public to become involved.

Maybe we should include a GCSE course on Citizenship in the National Curriculum and help people to become more public-spirited.
I am not trained in first aid, If I saw, and indeed I have witnessed several major accidents, I tend not to hang around. A quick call to the authorities, i.e ambulance and firebrigade (one involved a LOT of petrol spilt and a crushed car battery which I couldnt disconnect from that one vehcile). I left my name and address with the victims, after the ambulance arrived I drove off home.

I cant hang around, I do what I can and then I leave, if I hang around I am liable to get injured myself or in the way of the emergency crews.

Atomic22
03-11-2003, 19:28
they also paint white X's on them and a number eg 12 for the age of a kid if it was a person under 21