PDA

View Full Version : Changing Telewest installed cable for broadband

LENCH
08-12-2005, 08:33
I have had no connection since October, numerous Techs been out, unable to ascertain the problem... altho they HAVE said that it seems to be down to poor signal levels..

I moved my comp into another room, therefore I had to use a different cable. On the advice of TW CS, I bought standard satellite co-ax from B+Q, and ran it myself.. it was fine for a couple of months, but now theres no connection at all... I have a few metres slack on my cable where I connect the modem, which is already above 20 metres after running through 3 bedrooms.

Can you confirm if standard satellite co-ax can affect signal levels after some time???? I get the downstream ok, but the "send" light keeps flashing as if the upload isnt locking on...

thanks

MovedGoalPosts
08-12-2005, 12:18
Standard co-ax cable tends not to be as well shielded as the types used by cable companies. It will depend on what other sources of electromagnetic interference are around in your house whetehr you'd have a problem.

You may also experience difficulty if the connections you have made, are not as robust as those the cable co could make.

Are you saying that you completely renewed the cable from the outisde wall connection to your modem location, or just extended it? A longer cable may well have affected the signal strength, not much, but if it was already marginal, just enough to tip over the edge. Similarly any replacement of cable might affect signal though poor connections / interference, etc.

Has anything changed in your house to upset the connection that did work for a while - new TV or similar?

LENCH
08-12-2005, 12:41
thanks for the reply Rob

no, no new appliances..

The cable I replaced was the one coming from the splitter in the living room, where the TV cable comes out of. It is much longer than the Telewest cable that was originally there, and seems a little thinner. A tech seemed to think that the "TAP" needed upgraded.. ( I got the impression this is something external, like in the outside box???)

Theres another tech coming out on Monday, and I will be there (it was the wife before) so I will be able to ask if he can spare me some of the white cables...

in the weeks prior to the loss of connection, it would lose connectivity intermittently, and take longer to gain connection, it is really frustrating but hopefully it will be sorted soon.