PDA

View Full Version : Need NTL BB in M'brough for Mum with Mac mini

MacUser
05-12-2005, 16:36
Hi,

I've bought an Apple Mac Mini so I can set my 75 year old Mum up with email for Christmas. However there are several problems.

1. I'm 150 miles from her house in Middlesbrough.
2. She already has NTL digibox and phone connection but *I* want to pay for her broadband connection.
3. I'd like to set it up in one hit. 300 mile round trips aren't my idea of fun.
4. I don't want her to know about it until the day because she's scared of computers so I just want to plug it in and say "there's your email screen and this is what you do".
5. Money isn't a problem. I'm not rich but I don't mind paying someone to get this working (I can set up the Mac or advise by phone/email).

6. I understand that NTL will want to add broadband to my Mum's account. I see the logic but she won't agree to this and can't afford it anyway. I want to pay for it without her knowing.

7. I also understand that an NTL installer must install a modem (or router?) to the NTL connection and that he won't plug the ethernet cable into the Mac.

At present it looks as if I'll be setting the "email screen" up for her using just the 56k internal modem. This is not ideal so I wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to how I could get broadband for her and make the additional payments from my bank?

Chris
05-12-2005, 16:42
For the payments - set up a standing order with your own bank to transfer the cost of the BB from your account to hers each month.

You're right though, NTL won't plug the computer in, you will have to be there to do that.

grimboj
06-12-2005, 00:40
6. I understand that NTL will want to add broadband to my Mum's account.

If you want the broadband in your name that is fine and wont cause a problem with sales.

MacUser
06-12-2005, 01:13
Really!! So I just sign up on the NTL web site using her phone number and my address and bank account? Or do I use her address, in which case she'll find out. In fact I guess it will have to be her address so they can install the gizmo (router or modem? Be handy to have a wireless router). Hmm.

grimboj
06-12-2005, 01:20
I guess it will have to be her address so they can install the gizmo (router or modem? Be handy to have a wireless router). Hmm.

Yeah has to be her address unfortunately but [Dont take my word on this!] if the billing address is put as your address then the letters may come to you instead. I cant remember the sales number but if you get through to them via CS there might be a way to do it.

handyman
06-12-2005, 10:06
They (ntl) will need to speak to your mum to organise this install as she is the account holder. I'm sure there are many mac users that can give you tips on setting things up though its just a case of binning the install CD that ntl give you and visiting a web site. Wireless routers are best bought from a different source than ntl (ebuyer (http://www.ebuyer.co.uk)). I would advise against a wireless router, even the best need resetting every now and then and its just one more thing to complicate things for her. I would not advise my dad to get one and he's a CAD engineer that's supposed to be good with computers. :erm:

However I don't know if they will be able to set up a seperate account, though you will have to say that you live in the same address I think.

I lived in M/bro till May this year but have just moved to the Lake District. I would have offered to set things up 4 you save you the journey.
Ntl have offices just up the road in Stockton maybe theres a kind hearted member of staff that will offer to help out.

Bob
06-12-2005, 14:49
Ntl have offices just up the road in Stockton maybe theres a kind hearted member of staff that will offer to help out.

Always wondered if you could just walk in there lol :D

handyman
06-12-2005, 15:00
Always wondered if you could just walk in there lol :D

Dunno if its still got the payment side open but they did used to sort out customer service type issue face to face.

Hi to the lovely Christine is she's still there :wavey:

Bob
06-12-2005, 15:01
Dunno if its still got the payment side open but they did used to sort out customer service type issue face to face.

Really?!? I never realised that. I think I would have been more satisfied speaking to someone face to face :)

philquinney
06-12-2005, 15:41
Hi MacUser,

I can't comment on all the specifics of the NTL side but once you get the Mini connected you could enable SSH then remotely connect to it in order to do any troubleshooting / remote helping.

I find it quite handy to be able to ssh in and enable VNC which gives me full remote control of the machine.

If I can help with the Mac side just drop me a PM.

Phil.

quadplay
06-12-2005, 15:44
Really?!? I never realised that. I think I would have been more satisfied speaking to someone face to face :)
The Stockton payments office closed a while ago (2 years, I think!)

MacUser
06-12-2005, 16:31
Thanks for your replies. I've been using Macs since 1987 but I don't understand those acronyms ssh and VNC.

Anyway, I phoned NTL C.S. and eventually was put through to a nice young man called Jonathan who set me up with a new account, direct debit, and arranged for an installer to fit the modem on Friday. Then I rang Mum (I've lost the accent - should call her "me Mam") and told her to stay in Saturday morning because a man was coming to connect a black box to her phone. Thankfully she didn't argue except to say "well I'll be popping out for 5 minutes to get me paper!"

They don't know if the modem will be USB or Ethernet but I made them put Ethernet as my preference as USB tends to be a bit flakey.

Apparently the installation CD is Windoze and macOSX compatible and will set up the required parameters, but not email. The latter doesn't matter because I can set up a yahoo account for her. Easier if the browser is the only software window visible.

Now I'm waiting for the Mac Mini to arrive so I can strip out all the unnecessaries.

quadplay
06-12-2005, 20:16
You might want to tell her it's a blue box, and isn't connected to the phone as such... It needs to be fitted near where the computer will go, so get her to tell the engineer the location when he calls.

New ntl modems have both USB and Ethernet connections, but there are no USB drivers for the Mac - you'll have to use Ethernet. I would recommend you don't run the CD on a Mac, but instead connect the Ethernet and power cables, open a web browser and visit https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ - you will need a PIN number which will be 8 digits starting with a 1. If you don't already have this, call CS and ask for it.

handyman
06-12-2005, 20:30
her email setup will be a doddle you can pop the settings in already for her.

She will have the ability to create upto 14 extra email address's so If your confident that you can come up with one thats not been used then you can pre set that into the mac email program and if you cannot be over there to do it your self then i know someone i can get to register it for you.

*note* this must be done from a ntl connection as it checks your ip.

Any help I can be so long as its not mac specific then drop me a pm or email mark at mlweb dot co dot uk and i'll do my best.

---------- Post added at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

arranged for an installer to fit the modem on Friday. Then I rang Mum (I've lost the accent - should call her "me Mam") and told her to stay in Saturday morning

was that a slip up, have you advised her to stay in on saturday when the engineer is coming Friday?

Also

vnc = a way to remotely control a computer from any other computer. (gives you their desktop in a window)

ssh = secure shell - the protocal to conect via comand line to computers

MacUser
06-12-2005, 21:27
open a web browser and visit https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ - you will need a PIN number which will be 8 digits starting with a 1. If you don't already have this, call CS and ask for it.
Did that. Clicked on "Broadband" and got:

"Your browser has issued a request that the registration server has denied.
Please contact ntl customer support if the problem persists."

Huh. I tried three different browsers. Guess I'll just have to use the CD. :(

(Yes, it should read "Saturday" installation).

Chris W
06-12-2005, 21:33
Did that. Clicked on "Broadband" and got:

"Your browser has issued a request that the registration server has denied.
Please contact ntl customer support if the problem persists."

Huh. I tried three different browsers. Guess I'll just have to use the CD. :(

(Yes, it should read "Saturday" installation).

urm... you can only complete the registration pages from the modem that you are wishing to register...

quadplay
06-12-2005, 21:36
You need to visit that page through the unregistered cable modem installed in your mum's house.

EDIT: D'oh! Beaten to it! Grrr!:mad: :D

MacUser
06-12-2005, 22:25
Ah! So I can access that web page without setting up the Mac? I simply plug the modem in, launch the web browser and type in the URL?

(I can't help feeling that I'll at least have to select "Ethernet" in the network port configuration settings).

Not bothered about email. I'll set up a Yahoo account for her. Easier if she just has the browser on-screen all the time. She'll never use the Mac for anything other than email and web browsing.

(Forgive my obvious ignorance. I'm a Mac "expert" and have set up ADSL modems and routers but, since no cable is available here, I've never dealt with cable modems).

quadplay
06-12-2005, 22:28
Yes, exactly that - that's the great thing about Macs! Start with everything unplugged, then connect the Ethernet cable and plug the power into the cable modem. Wait for the Sync and Ready lights (the two on the far right of the front of the modem) to be on and solid, then turn the Mac on. Open a web browser window and type in the URL - and follow the instructions on screen! As part of the registration, an email account will be set up - you can choose the email address - but you don't have to use it if you think Yahoo!/Hotmail/Gmail would be easier.

Ethernet is enabled by default in Mac OS X, and is set to use DHCP which is what's needed.

MacUser
06-12-2005, 22:46
OK, I think I'm getting up to speed.

You know, I've never set up a brand new Mac. They've always been second hand. Even after installing a new OS from scratch, I confess I don't recall what the network setting was.

I'm really grateful for your help, guys. Now I have to convince my Mum that the blue/black box has to go in the spare room. Jeez, I'll have to dream up some good excuse!

I just had a thought. If she had a proper wireless router I could use my iBook while I'm there!

MacUser
19-12-2005, 23:33
Final update here:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=652853#post652853

quadplay
20-12-2005, 00:14
Good to know it's sorted! :tu: :)