PDA

View Full Version : WH Smiths- Library or Newsagents?

Escapee
01-11-2003, 17:01
I encountered the thing that usuallly annoys me in WH Smiths again this afternoon. I hate all those blokes stood reading the magazines whilst a rare breed like myself actually wants to get to the stand to actually "Purchase" some.

I guess in most cases they have to read them in the shop because their wives wont let them have any pocket money to buy them :eek:
I sometimes look at the index in a magazine to see if there is anything of interest but thats it, some people actually stand there and read the magazine, I think it's sad that they are tight and have nothing better to do. Surely it would be more comfortable to read the magazine in comfort.
(And I am not suggesting that WH Smiths supply seats)

What really annoyed me this time was a guy with a kid in a push chair reading magazines in an isle with the push chair behind him so no one could get through, I went and complained about him and to my astonishment he had actually come to the till to pay for a newspaper whilst leaving the baby in the pushchair over at the magazine rack. He obviously wanted to go back for a second viewing and was using the kid to reserve his space.

Ar**hole or what?

Bex
01-11-2003, 17:05
oh dear oh dear......i see your point though, it is incredibly annoying.....especailly when you can't get to the racks yourself.......correct me if i'm wrong but it is generally men that do it isn't it?

Ramrod
01-11-2003, 17:09
oh dear oh dear......i see your point though, it is incredibly annoying.....especailly when you can't get to the racks yourself.......correct me if i'm wrong but it is generally men that do it isn't it?OY! Bexy, no!:nono: :D

Bex
01-11-2003, 17:12
was not a dig ramrod....was asking a question....women are no better than men.....we stand there for hours deciding which magazine has the best front cover.....

aliferste
01-11-2003, 17:17
Yes, Is terrible that the bloke did this......there is a certain amount of etiquete in browsing magazines. Once you take you magazine you should move back at least a step to let everyone else in and get a mag.

It is usually blokes that do this as they are the ones that are usually dragged around the shops and when the going gets tough retire to the mag rack for some relief.

Many a time my blood pressure has lowered bacuase of a half hour read........also my bank balance has stayed the same (as i have not been with my partner)

paulyoung666
01-11-2003, 17:32
i must admit to not really reading the mags but at least flicking through them to find out if my hard earned £5 or £6 isnt going to be wasted on adverts in 10 mins of reading at home , mind you i have been known to take them back after finding out they are a load of ****e whilst making some bull**** excuse up about the wife already buying it for me :D :D :D :D :D :D
the only mag i really get now is pcpro on subscription as it is a good read and a damned sight cheaper than buying it at the newsagents

Escapee
01-11-2003, 18:16
oh dear oh dear......i see your point though, it is incredibly annoying.....especailly when you can't get to the racks yourself.......correct me if i'm wrong but it is generally men that do it isn't it?

Yes as far as I am concerned, if it was women I would of said it without hesitation :D But perhaps I dont notice the women stooping down for there mags as I am strectching to the top shelf. (Only joking)

I guess the women dont need to be so carefull about their magazine purchases because I have noticed they are only a fraction of the cost of mens/hooby type magazines!

I admit to spending way too much on magazines with quite a few on subscription, but there are a few that I just spend 30 seconds max looking at the index to see if they are worth buying that month. I would of probably bought 2 or 3 mags today if I could of got near them.

It just makes my blood boil that these people are so ignorant, and leaving the kiddy unattended in a push chair in the way was the last straw. :disturbd:

homealone
01-11-2003, 18:27
But perhaps I dont notice the women stooping down for there mags as I am strectching to the top shelf. (Only joking)

I'm not tall enough to reach the top shelf :cry::D

I used to spend nearly £30 a month on (mainly) computer magazines, I have cut right back now - thing was I used to hoard them all - & a few years worth of door stops like 'Computer Shopper' takes up a lot of space. They have gone now, but I still have most of the cover mounts:erm:

kink
01-11-2003, 18:29
[Snippity snip].....

It is usually blokes that do this as they are the ones that are usually dragged around the shops and when the going gets tough retire to the mag rack for some relief.

......[Snippity snipped]

Mmmmm... i thought so.... there's been many a time i've had to jostle past a man trying to get relief from certain magazines :erm: ...... and all while i was trying to get to the Woman's Weekly ;)

NB.... no comments about my being too short to reach anything else, thank you :p

Paul K
01-11-2003, 18:36
Mmmmm... i thought so.... there's been many a time i've had to jostle past a man trying to get relief from certain magazines :erm: ...... and all while i was trying to get to the Woman's Weekly ;)

NB.... no comments about my being too short to reach anything else, thank you :p
:cry: But I told you, it was Womans Weekly :cry: :naughty:

aliferste
02-11-2003, 12:51

I was talking about proper MANLY Things like FISHING

;)

Tricky
02-11-2003, 13:31
So on the same basis, if you were to go out and buy a book (cooking, novel, computer, whatever) would you just pick up the book and go pay for it? - Or would you read the introduction, quick flick through to check it covered your subject requirements etc.

I don't doubt that people use Smiths etc. as a library (I've done it, but I get hacked off when I buy a magazine get it home and find it's cr** - So I'll always have a quick flick through especially if I've not bought the publication before), it'll never stop.

Escapee
02-11-2003, 21:25
So on the same basis, if you were to go out and buy a book (cooking, novel, computer, whatever) would you just pick up the book and go pay for it? - Or would you read the introduction, quick flick through to check it covered your subject requirements etc.

I don't doubt that people use Smiths etc. as a library (I've done it, but I get hacked off when I buy a magazine get it home and find it's cr** - So I'll always have a quick flick through especially if I've not bought the publication before), it'll never stop.

It's the ones who read from cover to cover that annoy me, as I sid I often look at the index and flick to a page to see if the article of interest is any good.
I guess I spend less than 10 mins at the bookshelves in the newsagent but usualy come away with at least 2 magazines on top of my usual monthly subscriptions.

I am annoyed at the men who stand in the way for half an hour or so reading from cover to cover and then placing i back on the shelf after they have finished. I usually get quite rude and say excuse me but can I get to the shelf to "PURCHASE" some magazines.

Paul
02-11-2003, 21:32
If they stand and read it for more than 3 mins they should be made to pay for it.

Shaun
02-11-2003, 21:34
Why not get it on subscription, New Scientist give you upto 50% off if you have it delivered, I'm sure most of them do deals at one time or another ;)

Maggy
02-11-2003, 21:42
well as i buy pc and pc art magazines at around £4 -£7 i think this goddess has a right to check em over at what is the cost of a paperback.too bl**dy right i'm going to give em at least a once over.i also buy my son his xbox mags at around £6 so those get a good once over too.

anyone wants to make anything of it :ninja: too bad.

incog. :PP:

Escapee
03-11-2003, 07:28
Why not get it on subscription, New Scientist give you upto 50% off if you have it delivered, I'm sure most of them do deals at one time or another ;)

I do have around half a dozen mags on subscription, but there are afew mags that I buy only if they have any interesting articls in that month.

I take less than 3 minutes to decide if there is anything in the mag that would persuade me to buy it. I have been caught out with some mags that have the same sort of rubbish in every month, only to find that they have something interesting in when you stop the subscription.

I have in excess of a dozen monthly magazines and three weekly paper types, so I do spend a fair amount of money in the newsagent and it gets a bit annoying when I am unable to give them my custom because of people who are only reading the magazines in the shop and buy "NOTHING"

Sad that their wives wont give them any pocket money. :p

duncant403
03-11-2003, 09:16
You could always go to Borders where they provide comfy armchairs for customers to sit down and read the magazines and books - with no pressure to then buy them...

CaKe
03-11-2003, 09:57
Having worked in WHSmith (a few years ago mind you) it was decided (in this branch, dunno about others) that it was easier to let people read dedicated copies of books/magazines in the shop rather than let them buy them, take them home, remove the cover CDs, and then bring them back, saying "when I bought the magazine it didn't have any cover CDs" & then having to process a refund ;) We even provided chairs for people to sit down & read the damn things - it was easier for everyone to deal with that way!

IIRC, we trialled it for a month or so first, but the amount of cover cd's that went missing was reduced, it didn't affect the amount of magazines we sold, and the amount of refunds went down too ;) Much easier for us all to deal with ;)

paulyoung666
03-11-2003, 10:00
Having worked in WHSmith (a few years ago mind you) it was decided (in this branch, dunno about others) that it was easier to let people read dedicated copies of books/magazines in the shop rather than let them buy them, take them home, remove the cover CDs, and then bring them back, saying "when I bought the magazine it didn't have any cover CDs" & then having to process a refund ;) We even provided chairs for people to sit down & read the damn things - it was easier for everyone to deal with that way!

IIRC, we trialled it for a month or so first, but the amount of cover cd's that went missing was reduced, it didn't affect the amount of magazines we sold, and the amount of refunds went down too ;) Much easier for us all to deal with ;)

ooooooooooooooooo dont you just love people with common sense :tu:

Escapee
03-11-2003, 11:30

I would be happier with the idea of providing them with seats because they would be out of the way of the shelves and real customers who are willing to spend money.

Would be good for the shop and the real customers, although perhaps myself and other real customers would do exactly the same and stop buying magazines but sit down to read them in the shop instead.

I would never have the cheek to take something like a magazine back to a shop.

zoombini
03-11-2003, 13:54
Maybe they are just browsing thrugh it but are slow readers..lol

Annoying isnt it, just go tell a member of staff & they will move em along..