PDA

View Full Version : Hunting

peachey
01-11-2003, 15:12
All this talk about government banning hunting is just a talking shop sop and smokescreen

If they wanted to do something proper about stopping cruely to animals they would address the grim medieval practice of kosher and halal killings

but they won't because they are a silly and rudderless government blown wherever the latest piece of press headlines and spin doctoring happens to blow them

Tricky
01-11-2003, 16:31
Kosher & Halal "Killings" are done for religous reasons AFAIK. Where as hunting is usually done for pleasure, sport or for the hell of it.

Hunting will never become "Banned" or if it is it will just be driven underground with "secret" hunts becoming the norm. It's part of peoples life and they ain't gonna give it up overnight.

PS. I don't agree/disagree with hunting - but if someone wants to get the fox that keeps knocking my wheelie bin over then please feel free!

peachey
01-11-2003, 16:46
Kosher & Halal "Killings" are done for religous reasons AFAIK. Where as hunting is usually done for pleasure, sport or for the hell of it.

Hunting will never become "Banned" or if it is it will just be driven underground with "secret" hunts becoming the norm. It's part of peoples life and they ain't gonna give it up overnight.

PS. I don't agree/disagree with hunting - but if someone wants to get the fox that keeps knocking my wheelie bin over then please feel free!

we get lots of foxes round here and they are always ripping black bags to shreds - they are a pain - I saw three one night - or the same one in three different places

Russ
01-11-2003, 16:52
but they won't because they are a silly and rudderless government blown wherever the latest piece of press headlines and spin doctoring happens to blow them

Strange, I didn't see them get blown along by the press in the Hutton enquiry.

peachey
01-11-2003, 17:01
Strange, I didn't see them get blown along by the press in the Hutton enquiry.

thanks to labour 'not raising taxes' i am now paying £150/month in council tax so they can all retire early at the council 'on the sick'

Ramrod
01-11-2003, 17:13
Helped one of our neighbours dispose of a dead (eviscerated) fox this AM:sick:

homealone
01-11-2003, 17:17
Helped one of our neighbours dispose of a dead (eviscerated) fox this AM:sick:

we had one that decided to die under my sons car in our driveway - the council actually came & removed it.

- how on earth had 'your' one become eviscerated? :confused:

peachey
01-11-2003, 17:21
we had one that decided to die under my sons car in our driveway - the council actually came & removed it.

- how on earth had 'your' one become eviscerated? :confused:

my uncle used to be into taxidermy in Canada

he sent us a stuffed fox and a stuffed flying squirell

they hung about for years till one day my brother decided to shoot them to pieces with an air rifle

homealone
01-11-2003, 17:26
my uncle used to be into taxidermy in Canada

he sent us a stuffed fox and a stuffed flying squirell

they hung about for years till one day my brother decided to shoot them to pieces with an air rifle

lol - just got an image of gangs of repressed taxidermists roaming the streets looking for foxes to stuff:D

kink
01-11-2003, 20:10
[Snippity snip].....

If they wanted to do something proper about stopping cruely to animals they would address the grim medieval practice of kosher and halal killings

.......[Snippity snipped]

This is obviously your opinion.... but i would like to know what it is exactly that you think is grim and medieval about it. Also.... why you chose this cultural practice to compare fox hunting to rather than any other more comparable practice.

Just wondering....... :)

Russ
01-11-2003, 20:13
thanks to labour 'not raising taxes' i am now paying £150/month in council tax so they can all retire early at the council 'on the sick'

So KA...erm, I mean Peachy, what's that got to do with the point I made?

Chris
01-11-2003, 20:14
This is obviously your opinion.... but i would like to know what it is exactly that you think is grim and medieval about it. Also.... why you chose this cultural practice to compare fox hunting to rather than any other more comparable practice.

Just wondering....... :)
Kink, you took the words right out of my mouth.

There is evidence to suggest that the kosher/halal method of killing an animal is actrually less painful for the creature than the modern metal-bolt-thru-the-brain method, which, contrary to popular belief, is not 'instantaneous'.

There are plenty of cruel practices you could have proposed as comparable with fox hunting - I'm curious why you chose kosher/halal in particular?

Xaccers
01-11-2003, 20:17
And Halal isn't just the killing, it's to do with treating the animal with care while it is alive too, more than can be said for normally slaughtered animals

kink
01-11-2003, 20:18
So KA...erm, I mean Peachy, what's that got to do with the point I made?

:rolleyes:

Kink, you took the words right out of my mouth.

There is evidence to suggest that the kosher/halal method of killing an animal is actrually less painful for the creature than the modern metal-bolt-thru-the-brain method, which, contrary to popular belief, is not 'instantaneous'.

There are plenty of cruel practices you could have proposed as comparable with fox hunting - I'm curious why you chose kosher/halal in particular?

My point exactly towny :)
Just seemed like an inflammatory and may i say ignorant post... with no thought behind it at all :shrug:
Would still like a reply.... regardless of who it's from :D

Jerrek
01-11-2003, 22:51
What is wrong with halaal and kosher killing?

homealone
01-11-2003, 23:15
What is wrong with halaal and kosher killing?

Hi Jerrek

I think that was what the last couple of posts were saying.:)

- the respect for the animal Xaccers alluded to, especially.

- but the thread isn't about what may be considered 'humane' slaughter of animals for food - it is about hunting animals for 'pleasure'.

- it is human nature to want to control our environment, that includes culling competing species - foxes, deer, rabbits, rats, mice - etc - how we do it, is the question.?

Jerrek
02-11-2003, 00:09
What is wrong with hunting animals?

cjll3
02-11-2003, 00:15

The Govermint can't tax it the same way as commercial sports etc.

homealone
02-11-2003, 00:29

hang on - thought you were a vegan Jerrek?

- I am ok with kill to eat - but not with kill for fun?

- is that a dual standard?:confused:

cjll3
02-11-2003, 01:15
- I am ok with kill to eat - but not with kill for fun?

- is that a dual standard?:confused:

Foxes will kill just for fun if it gets the chance, so is it really a dual standard?

Stuart
02-11-2003, 02:07
Foxes will kill just for fun if it gets the chance, so is it really a dual standard?
Aha, the old "they do it, so why don't we" arguement..

Stuart
02-11-2003, 02:18
While I do agree that foxes are vermin and their numbers do need to be controlled I think there must be better ways (ie more humane and more efficient) methods of doing it than hunting.

Anyone that is pro hunting: how would you feel if your pet (cat, dog or whatever was killed by a hunt that passed by? It does happen. The hounds they are used are usually wound up to a point that they will kill something whether they find the fox or not. If they lose the fox, they will kill any animal that happens to appear.

Admittedly, that is not likely to happen unless you live in the country.

So I think hunting is bad, but fox numbers do need to be controlled somehow.

Jerrek
02-11-2003, 03:43
hang on - thought you were a vegan Jerrek?
That really has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. I don't know what my personal eating habits have to do with other people's rights to go hunting.

I am ok with kill to eat - but not with kill for fun?
Who says it is just for fun? A lot of hunters in Canada are sustenance hunters, meaning, they hunt to feed their families. Ever been up north in the wilderness? The local Inuit (eskimos) and First Nations (Indians) hunt and fish on a daily basis to feed their families.

Second, why are you not allowed to have fun while doing it? I know people that hunt for fun. As a matter of fact, I got invited to a turkey hunt. You hunt, kill the animal, and then feed your family.

As for fox hunting, or hunting where you don't plan on consuming the animal, well, that is a little more tricky. You kill flies, yes? You kill rats too, right? Perhaps not with a rifle, but you do use poison, or perhaps those electric lights outside to burn the mosquitos?

Well, you're killing pests there. If foxes, raccoons, and other little animals are a pest in your area, what is wrong with shooting and killing them for fun?

is that a dual standard?
I don't see how. I kill animals (rats, flies, etc.). It doesn't bother me. I just don't like eating flesh because I think it is disgusting.

So I think hunting is bad, but fox numbers do need to be controlled somehow.
Tell that to sustenance hunters.