PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland isp's

bucketbakereturn
02-12-2005, 13:05
hi

after months of shennanigans regarding buying a house we now have a date for the 14th!!

i know i'll have to leave NTL so i want members opinions especially Northern Ireland ones regarding best value both cost and usage for internet and telephone. Will also be interested in the whole VOIP thing, not taken the plunge right now cause it seems 'unsettled' at the moment but def see the benefits.

At the mo i have the 2mg connection connected to a Linksys WRT54g router for this desktop, my xbox live and the wife's lappy. the family pack on NTl digital and i think the talk unlimited on the phone (the last bit is really flaky for accuracy).

The move, for u N'ron I'ron folk, is to Roughfort, Mallusk, Newtownabbey council, BT36 i understand.

gotta go to work just now but would be very grateful for all advice and opinion when i get back this evening.

Cheers all.

gazzae
02-12-2005, 13:24
Small world I live in BT36 as well.

Anyway I use BT for broadband and the phone and have never had a problem. I could probably get it cheaper elsewhere but haven't really looked.

Bifta
02-12-2005, 13:28
hi

after months of shennanigans regarding buying a house we now have a date for the 14th!!

i know i'll have to leave NTL so i want members opinions especially Northern Ireland ones regarding best value both cost and usage for internet and telephone. Will also be interested in the whole VOIP thing, not taken the plunge right now cause it seems 'unsettled' at the moment but def see the benefits.

At the mo i have the 2mg connection connected to a Linksys WRT54g router for this desktop, my xbox live and the wife's lappy. the family pack on NTl digital and i think the talk unlimited on the phone (the last bit is really flaky for accuracy).

The move, for u N'ron I'ron folk, is to Roughfort, Mallusk, Newtownabbey council, BT36 i understand.

gotta go to work just now but would be very grateful for all advice and opinion when i get back this evening.

Cheers all.

You'll have to have a BT line for ADSL, I think I've got some plan from Talk Talk on one of my lines which my boss pay's for, as for broadband, you can pick any UK ISP you want, I'd recommend you stay away from Pipex (I've had nothing but trouble with my connection for the last couple of months with them) AOL (who'll force you to use a nominated router) and Plus.net (who like to kick users off who post too many questions in their forum). Check adslguide.org.uk for reviews.

bucketbakereturn
02-12-2005, 21:10
ok so BT for the phone connection but broadband.

What i'm confused about is that although i have no choice to use a BT exchange/hub i am able to use a different ISP, for example Bulldog. But who am i paying for what. I don't intend to have to pay for it twice!!??

Also since i've a router and the connection is ADSL can i ask for an ethernet enabled modem? I've seen ADSL 'dial up' for want of a better description, whats that about?

oh and Sky folks anything to be aware of regards deals, installation, technology etc
Cheers