PDA

View Full Version : Disposal of cooking oil

Hom3r
28-11-2005, 21:32
Has anybody got any ideas how I can dispose of <10 litres of cooking oil?

Our council dump won't take them, companies that dispose of cateen sizes say it not worth there time, we can't throw it with the general rubbish, we can't pour it down the drain, and we cannot burn it

What do I do???

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-11-2005, 21:33
Has anybody got any ideas how I can dispose of <10 litres of cooking oil?

Our council dump won't take them, companies that dispose of cateen sizes say it not worth there time, we can't throw it with the general rubbish, we can't pour it down the drain, and we cannot burn it

What do I do???

Buy a diesel car;)

Paul
28-11-2005, 21:39
we can't throw it with the general rubbishWhy ?

homealone
28-11-2005, 21:52
couple of ideas

in small quantities it can be added to compost heaps.

it can be absorbed on 'kitty litter' & disposed of in the 'normal' rubbish

it can be put in the 'normal' rubbish if placed in plastic bottles, or similar.

The main 'no-no' is chucking it down the drain.

and 'Wicked & Crazy's suggestion is a good one - insofar as there are many 'biofuel' maufacturers springing up, all desperate for waste veg oil to convert, so you may find one who will come & collect . :)

<edit> have a look at http://www.reuze.co.uk/vegoil.shtml

:)

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-11-2005, 22:02
Why ?

ohhhh so retracted the fact that you pollute by dumping your oil in land fill huh ;)

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:56 ----------

and 'Wicked & Crazy's suggestion is a good one - insofar as there are many 'biofuel' maufacturers springing up, all desperate for waste veg oil to convert, so you may find one who will come & collect . :)

:)

Quantity is too small.

A diesel car will run on that stuff without adjustments, however, it smells, its dirty so will clog your filters and i think it might even be illegal as no road duty has been paid.

homealone
28-11-2005, 22:26
Quantity is too small.

A diesel car will run on that stuff without adjustments, however, it smells, its dirty so will clog your filters and i think it might even be illegal as no road duty has been paid.

done properly I believe it can rival the 'real thing', especially in terms of carbon footprint.

the legal aspect is moot - afaik buying 'proper' bio-diesel from a licenced supplier is ok, but, as you say it will work 'neat', with consequences.

to me this is a good example of a missed opportunity in 'green' fuel technology - all diesel cars should run on vegetable derived fuels, in my opinion, same as petrol ones should convert to alcohol from fermentation of sugars.

- but then the oil industry would need to seek new markets.... oh well, back to global warming :rolleyes:

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-11-2005, 22:36
done properly I believe it can rival the 'real thing', especially in terms of carbon footprint.

the legal aspect is moot - afaik buying 'proper' bio-diesel from a licenced supplier is ok, but, as you say it will work 'neat', with consequences.

to me this is a good example of a missed opportunity in 'green' fuel technology - all diesel cars should run on vegetable derived fuels, in my opinion, same as petrol ones should convert to alcohol from fermentation of sugars.

- but then the oil industry would need to seek new markets.... oh well, back to global warming :rolleyes:

Your correct, i worked for Perkins Engines in the distant past and when i did my apprenticeship i worked in the new engineering department for a while and we were running engines on Rape seed oil and that would be cough 20yrs ago cough

i know someone who runs an old van on sunflower oil, funnily enough tescos dont honour the 5p of a litre on fuel if you buy 5 litres of sunflower oil ;)

punky
28-11-2005, 23:09

Be careful, as this is technically illegal (tax evasion). I suppose not if you give it to someone, but Brown wants his 27p/litre duty (you pay less duty as it is biodiesel, and not regular diesel).

Angua
28-11-2005, 23:17
http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/page208a.htm

On your own head be it!

Alternative http://www.govlink.org/hazwaste/house/disposal/AnyProduct.cfm?entityID=948&catID=937

Mr_love_monkey
28-11-2005, 23:20
You could video yourself drinking it in the style of 'Jackass'

luftys
28-11-2005, 23:31
You could use it instead of KY Jelly:disturbd:

homealone
28-11-2005, 23:35
http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/page208a.htm

On your own head be it!

Alternative http://www.govlink.org/hazwaste/house/disposal/AnyProduct.cfm?entityID=948&catID=937

agreed, there are downsides - or opportunities for solutions, I could do the chemistry involved in the link you posted, it isn't difficult, but I would prefer to have a 'proper' source of such fuels - hydrogen gets the 'glamour' , hybrid engines, similarly - but both rely on fossil fuel, rather than renewable?

Chris W
28-11-2005, 23:36
A local restaurant may well take it off your hands- we don't pay for disposal of ours, we have a company who collect and dispose of it for free when we have collected 160 litres.

nffc
28-11-2005, 23:37
Why can't you burn it? That's what I'd do...

homealone
28-11-2005, 23:49

because it is a waste, in my opinion, when it can be used for so many other things, we should have more facilities to recycle, so it doesn't have to be burned :angel:

punky
29-11-2005, 00:38

Because biodiesel is classed as inflammable. A diesel combustion engine works on compression to heat the biodiesel up to combustion, not using spark plugs like with petrol, and I don't even regular diesel is flammable with naked flames.

danielf
29-11-2005, 00:42
Right, I'm getting confused here...

Why can't you pour it down the drain? Is that because it's harmful, or because it's a waste?

homealone
29-11-2005, 00:46
Right, I'm getting confused here...

Why can't you pour it down the drain? Is that because it's harmful, or because it's a waste?

because oils can become fats and emulsions, which can block pipes :)

Halcyon
29-11-2005, 00:47
Edit: Gaz beat me to it.

I believe oil and grease can solidify and block drain pipes further down the system.

More info in this PDF leaflet HERE (http://www.thameswateruk.co.uk/en_gb/Downloads/PDFs/PBS_Fat_Oil_and_Grease_190kb.pdf)

danielf
29-11-2005, 01:07
Edit: Gaz beat me to it.

I believe oil and grease can solidify and block drain pipes further down the system.

More info in this PDF leaflet HERE (http://www.thameswateruk.co.uk/en_gb/Downloads/PDFs/PBS_Fat_Oil_and_Grease_190kb.pdf)

Right, so then you just pour it into your empty coke/whatever bottle, and stick it in the bin. Sorted :)

Paul
29-11-2005, 03:26
Right, so then you just pour it into your empty coke/whatever bottle, and stick it in the bin. Sorted :)Which is exactly what we do, hence my earlier question .....

zoombini
05-12-2005, 23:46
a bit late, but try www.freecycle.org & see if there is a group near you & offer it on there.

Someone with a diesel car may want it.

Maggy
05-12-2005, 23:51
Glad to see someone is addressing the problems of safe waste disposal and recycling.Pity the damned government can't be a*sed.Nuclear energy indeed.:rolleyes:

Gareth
06-12-2005, 00:05
ebay it?!? :shrug: