PDA

View Full Version : Sky via Broadband

Paul
22-11-2005, 17:24
Not seen this mentioned anywhere, a new service coming soon.

http://www.sky.com/skybybroadband/

Sky by broadband is a new service exclusive to Sky digital customers. It allows you to enjoy hundreds of films on your PC, including a mix of Hollywood blockbusters and classic movie titles available on Sky Movies. In addition, there are over 1000 sporting highlights to choose from, covering many of the major sporting events on Sky Sports. And with Sky by broadband you can choose what to watch and when to watch it.

jtwn
22-11-2005, 19:31
I'm sure it'll be nicely compressed aswell to not bother with it too :)

andygrif
22-11-2005, 23:50
It says it's launching in the next few days. It also says:

If you're a Sky digital customer with Sky Movies 1 & 2 you can enjoy Sky Movies on Sky by broadband at NO EXTRA COST, and if you subscribe to Sky Sports 1 & 2 you can catch Sky Sports on Sky by broadband at NO EXTRA COST.

And some key points from the FAQ's....

Sky by broadband uses secure peer-to-peer (P2P) technology, powered by Kontiki, to distribute Sky Movies and Sky Sports videos via the Internet. Once a movie or sports video has been downloaded, Microsoft Digital Rights Management (DRM) software will prevent unauthorised viewing and will automatically delete the movie or sports video from your PC once your license to view it expires.

Videos are encoded at a variable bit rate of 860 kbps, and resolution of 540x432.

It doesn't mention if you can sign up if you don't take the Sports or Movies but have the rest of the channels.

handyman
23-11-2005, 00:06
Will be having a portion of this :)

Normally watch films encoded to avc (mpeg4) so this will be a bit better I hope.

Was just commenting the other night that the tv you can download from the US HDTV format is waaaaay better than anything we have. In fact its only a shade off dvd quality.

etccarmageddon
26-11-2005, 12:26
appologies for starting a new thread on this this morning - I did use the forum search but it didnt show an existing thread.

herbert clinker
28-11-2005, 12:01
has anybody signed up for this yet.
i am just concerned it may be a spoof site to get your sky account details.

hc

cnewton2k
28-11-2005, 15:55
have given my details etc

i think it is all ok

Paul
28-11-2005, 16:06
has anybody signed up for this yet.
i am just concerned it may be a spoof site to get your sky account details.

hcThe domain is sky.com - that's sky's domain, not a spoof domain.

herbert clinker
28-11-2005, 16:27
i have just signed up for it.the site told me i would get an email when it starts.
seems okay but i do'nt think i'll be able to download many movies before i hit ntl 75gb cap if each movie equates to approx 750 mb.
for a 2hr movie.

hc

handyman
28-11-2005, 16:34
i have just signed up for it.the site told me i would get an email when it starts.
seems okay but i do'nt think i'll be able to download many movies before i hit ntl 75gb cap if each movie equates to approx 750 mb.
for a 2hr movie.

hc

100 of then, theres only gonna be 200 on there at first so I'd spread them out a bit also.

If you downloaded the full hundred you would have enough for over 6 days full viewing :eek:

andy 1
20-12-2005, 10:34
its now up and running

enjoy
andy 1

Stuart
20-12-2005, 10:42
Nice idea, but it doesn't cover the areas I am interested in. I enjoy Sports, but not enough to justify the expense of Sky sports, and while I also enjoy movies, I find that if a like a movie that is on Sky, I probably already have it on DVD.

It would be nice to see some demos as well.

dilli-theclaw
23-12-2005, 16:16
its now up and running

enjoy
andy 1I'm still waiting for an email from them. Is it any good?

Acropolis
24-02-2006, 13:03
All seems to be good with it, have downloaded a couple of films and they are of good quality, just a little slow on the downloads from Sky's end, but i can live with that.