PDA

View Full Version : Lie Detectors

Russ
30-10-2003, 21:32
Anyone else find this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3227849.stm) to be just a little sinister?

Ramrod
30-10-2003, 21:36
Anyone else find this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3227849.stm) to be just a little sinister?Not in the slightest. If it carries on our premiums could come down. Or at least not go up as fast.

Russ
30-10-2003, 21:43
As someone who has never put in a fraudulent claim, I'm not happy at the assumption that I have/will....I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Bex
30-10-2003, 21:47
As someone who has never put in a fraudulent claim, I'm not happy at the assumption that I have/will....I dunno, maybe it's just me.

no i agree with you russ.....but i can also see ramrods point

soon we will have to have lie detector tests for everything :erm:

Paul
31-10-2003, 01:36
I don't see the problem with it, if your claim is genuine then you have nothing to worry about. I don't really see it as any different to someone checking my signature when I use my credit card, I don't assume they think I've stolen the card just because they check my sig. :D

Xaccers
31-10-2003, 02:13
what happens if you have a speach problem?

It won't effect it, they take a reading first remember, to find out what your normal reaction is.

Lord Nikon
31-10-2003, 04:23
It's been proven that lie detectors can be beaten, by people who are used to lying...... politicians, lawyers etc....

Xaccers
31-10-2003, 04:45
It's been proven that lie detectors can be beaten, by people who are used to lying...... politicians, lawyers etc....

Yup and if you believe they don't work then they don't.
I think this was how a high up CIA person managed to get away with it when he was actually a russian spy

Ramrod
31-10-2003, 09:55
As someone who has never put in a fraudulent claim, I'm not happy at the assumption that I have/will....I dunno, maybe it's just me.Where does the assumption come into it? All they are doing is running the test on everyone.

Tricky
31-10-2003, 13:50
Many companies are putting these through trials - They WILL be common very soon!

Believe me - I KNOW... :D

SMHarman
31-10-2003, 13:58
In NTL fault lines. They will be able to test whether you are lieing about faults on their service.

"Sorry sir the lie detector says that your are telling porkies when you say that your broadband is not working"

LOL

Maggy
31-10-2003, 14:28
i'm more worried about insurance companies getting access to genetic knowledge about us.with the way things are going they could refuse to insure folk who may have certain genetic tendencies to certain diseases like cancer or heart disease.very worrying.

incog. :kiss:

MadGamer
31-10-2003, 15:08
what happens if you have a speach problem?Hmm i don't honestly know. No im NOT LYING. :D

Graham
31-10-2003, 20:43
Anyone else find this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3227849.stm) to be just a little sinister?

Sinister? Possibly. Stupid, definitely.

Given that polygraph lie detector tests are a lot less than 100% reliable see: http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2002/43/ma_148_01.html the idea that a simple "voice stress" analysis system will really work is nonsense.

Of course what they're *actually* relying on is the ignorance of the general public because what they do is call people back and "suggest" that they may have been lying on their insurance claim (because their "lie detector" says so) and that if they withdraw their claim *now* there won't be any need to involve the Police.

The end result is that they will scare off Mr and Mrs J Public who may bump up the claim by a few quid (or possibly even the *totally innocent* ones who are terrified of being falsely accused), but won't deter Mr or Mrs Crook who knows damn well that a) the system is by no means reliable and b) is absolutely not admissible in court and will laugh up their sleeves whilst pocketing their money.

Theodoric
03-11-2003, 20:49
I'd be really worried if they came around, kicked down the door, pinned you on the floor and stuck the electrodes on you, then started asking the questions. :)

More seriously, I wonder how much of it is bluff. If you are preparing to lie in your teeth and the chap on the other end of the phone says, in effect, "We've now got an infallible lie detector here", I wouldn't be surprised if a number of people found that their nerve failed them.

ntluser
04-11-2003, 11:25
Sinister? Possibly. Stupid, definitely.

Given that polygraph lie detector tests are a lot less than 100% reliable see: http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2002/43/ma_148_01.html the idea that a simple "voice stress" analysis system will really work is nonsense.

Of course what they're *actually* relying on is the ignorance of the general public because what they do is call people back and "suggest" that they may have been lying on their insurance claim (because their "lie detector" says so) and that if they withdraw their claim *now* there won't be any need to involve the Police.

The end result is that they will scare off Mr and Mrs J Public who may bump up the claim by a few quid (or possibly even the *totally innocent* ones who are terrified of being falsely accused), but won't deter Mr or Mrs Crook who knows damn well that a) the system is by no means reliable and b) is absolutely not admissible in court and will laugh up their sleeves whilst pocketing their money.

Another possibility is that Mr & Mrs Joe Public will move their insurance business to a company that does not use the lie detector or alternatively not bother with insurance at all.

The only other solution is for us all to become a nation of pathological liars, who believe everything we say is true and take the insurance companies for everything we can get.

The loser will be the Insurance industry.