PDA

View Full Version : Herbs & Spices in food

Hom3r
21-11-2005, 11:11
Can anybody tell me where I can get a list of Herbs and Spaces and what food they are best used with.

Halcyon
21-11-2005, 11:16
I would direct you here:

http://www.schwartz.co.uk/handsguide.cfm

Saaf_laandon_mo
21-11-2005, 11:19
Reading numerous recipe books will provide you with a general consensus from a lot of chefs.

Some of the herbs I like using are ..Rosemary for roast lamb.

corriander (dried and fresh), garam masala, tumeric, mustard seeds, cumin is a must for most indian curries.

fresh coriander in most curries, to stir in right at the end of cooking

I have also found that tyme and tarragon works yummily in roast chickens.

Halcyon
21-11-2005, 11:22
Also found this info:

Mint has a †œspicy sweet menthol flavorÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â
Peppermint is the predominant flavor for candy and sweets, but is best used as an oil or extract. Spearmint is a more versatile culinary herb, and is classically paired with lamb, peas, and all manners of desserts, not to mention tea. Try it also with black beans, eggplant, lentils, and tomato based dishes.

Rosemary has a †œpiney flavor with hints of lemonÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â.
It is used with lamb, pork, and beef. Try it also with mushrooms, potatoes, salmon, and beans. Rosemary is one herb that dries well, so use it during the winter.

Marjoram and Oregano are actually almost the same herb; oregano is wild marjoram. They are interchangeable although some chefs believe that marjoram is like oregano with a bit of basil taste. Classically used in tomatoes and pizza, try either with fish, potatoes, and summer squash. Choose Turkish oregano over Mexican unless making actual Mexican recipes.

Savory is not as widely known here as in Europe, it is a †œcross between thyme and mintââ‚ ¬Ã‚. Itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s most often cooked with beans, esp. bean soup, but use it also on grilled chicken.

Sage is somewhat bitter and has a †œmusty-mintâ₠¬Ã‚ flavor.
It is used especially with pork and other meats or in stuffings. Try it with tomatoes, grilled tuna or other oily fish, and grilled poultry. The leaves are especially good for decoration and can be fried, see Lesson 8. Like rosemary, sage dries well so it is a good cold weather flavoring.

Thyme is one of the most basic herbs, having a †œpungent, minty, light lemon aroma with a hint of cloveÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â
It is essential in French cooking as a member of the bouquet garni that flavors stocks and soups. It is used with all meats, but think about using it with Mediterranean foods. Use it with figs and goat cheese and try to find wild thyme honey. Thyme is a hardy perennial and like sage and rosemary dries well.

Basil is a †œcross between licorice and clovesÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â.
A lot of different basils are now available at nurseries, but theyâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢re interchangeable in recipes. Basil is extremely versatile. Besides being almost married to tomatoes, it goes especially well with cheese, poultry, eggs, fish, in salads and combined with all manners of vegetables.

handyman
21-11-2005, 11:54
Rosemary is nice over roasted potatoes or used to flavour butter for new potatoes.

parsley can be used in anything.

Coriander is used for salsa though is best fresh.

Basil goes very well with tomatoes esp if used with a balsamic vinegar and sliced raw onion. (if you can't get balsamic vinegar a nive malt vinegar will do).

andyl
21-11-2005, 12:03
I'd look at it the other way around; dig out interesting looking recipes.

Saaf_laandon_mo
21-11-2005, 12:06
im starving now :(

Gareth
21-11-2005, 12:06
I like Nigella :drool:

SMHarman
21-11-2005, 12:32
Nigella and Delia are both men!

Halcyon
21-11-2005, 12:57
Erm, ok then :erm:

I quite like Corriander with curries or in home made wraps with salads.
Its got loads of flavour.

I also tend to use basil with tomatoes and cheese on some baguette and grill it. Lovely.

Saaf_laandon_mo
21-11-2005, 13:09
Nigella and Delia are both men! . obviously been smoking the wrong type of herbs ;)

Angua
21-11-2005, 13:14
One of my all time faves is Broad beans and Parsley sauce.

Great tip for cabbage, chuck a couple of Bay leaves in whilst it's cooking.

Shredded mint leaves are lovely and fresh in a salad.

Tarragon or thyme (not both though) is the obvious choice for chicken.

Oregano, dictimus or marjoram for Pizza.

Parsley is also great in Bolognaise.

I could go on and on

SMHarman
21-11-2005, 13:30
Erm, ok then :erm:
. obviously been smoking the wrong type of herbs ;)
I'm the only one watching the FWord around here then?

andyl
21-11-2005, 13:41
Anyone get the Indie on Sunday yesterday. A chef of my acquantance has some recipes in the Review; the pictures make this look like food to die for. These might sound bizarre, but trust me on this, the man's a genius.

* Slow cooked chicken with scrambled egg
* Oatmeal brule and goats-cheese cookie ice cream

And how about this for breakfast: Winter mueslii with winter fruit purees and warmed vanilla milk. Yum!

Unfortunately there's no link on the Indie site yet, but I'll post it when they do.

I eat at his restauarant last week (in the course of my professional duties you understand). The main was Beef Filet, Welsh Rarebit, Haggis,Tomato Vinaigrette, Parsnip Puree, Banana, Brazil Nuts, Pineapple. And it was absolutely fantastic. The other nine courses were pretty good too :D :D ooh, oooh, must mention the Hob Knob creme brulee and flapjack ice cream.

Is it lunchtime now ;)

gazzae
21-11-2005, 14:11
I'm the only one watching the FWord around here then?

I got it.

Saaf_laandon_mo
21-11-2005, 14:34
I'm the only one watching the FWord around here then? . oh i get it now :) my apologies....... anyway one of the best things so far about the F word was the review they did on donner kebabs. There is now evidence to suggest that instead of ears, eyes, bums and testicles that go in ur friday nite donner, its actually all real meat cuts mmmmmmmmmmmm, i no longer feel dirty about eating on :)

SMHarman
21-11-2005, 14:40
I missed that one, now, it's 20+% fat, but how much of that is lost in the cooking process, you see it running off as it is cooked.

Sausages on the other hand... Now I don't buy tesco value, but it did make me ask my employers on site caterering what their sausages were made of as I am partial to the occasional sausage sarnie for breakfast. 67% meat, so thats pretty good.

Saaf_laandon_mo
21-11-2005, 14:45
it was a good episode.... your're rite about the fat, but its all "good" fat i guess. at least its "proper" meat huh, well thats if ur donner kebab man buys it from a decent supplier. did you see teh one when the food critic did that thing about eating for free (looking through dustbins outside places like M & S, Sainsburys, other sandwich bars etc etc) The good food companies chuck out is criminal!

Halcyon
21-11-2005, 14:51
We used to buy some Lamb and mint sausages. Very nice !

A recipe you can try is this which is also nice....

Get some big mushrooms. Cut off the stalk. They will act as your bowl.
Get some minced lamb and make like a burger on the top of the mush room. Add salt and pepper. and some finely chopped onions.
To secure the lamb burger on the big mushroom, wrap two rashes of bacon round the lamb and under the mushroom, remembering to stick some chopped up mint leaves on top of the lamb burger.
Cook in the oven. Lovely !

SMHarman
21-11-2005, 15:09
Does this need a rename to the CF Foodie thread?

Shabba
22-11-2005, 16:40
If you make your own beef burgers from steak mince try adding Schwartz freeze dried tarragon and Whitworths dried onions crushed! Absolutely delicious with Cheddar and Tomato toppings :)

daxx
24-11-2005, 04:15
If you make your own beef burgers from steak mince try adding Schwartz freeze dried tarragon and Whitworths dried onions crushed! Absolutely delicious with Cheddar and Tomato toppings :)Don't forget the pinch of Garlic Salt or a pinch of Dried Garlic (will absorb meat juices to reconstitute)

Paulie
25-11-2005, 18:10
This is where i get a lot of my stuff from http://www.redmoor.net/index.php Cheap too.