PDA

View Full Version : Black Welsh Film Festival

peachey
30-10-2003, 13:31
is it right that they should be allowed to call it this?

does that mean we can have a white welsh film festival too without howls of 'racist' from all and sundry

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 13:45
Oh for crying out loud. Not again.

YOU CAN ONLY DISCUSS THE EXACT SAME BORING, TEDIOUS, REPETITIVE SUBJECT SO MANY TIMES!

Ramrod
30-10-2003, 13:48

does that mean we can have a white welsh film festival too without howls of 'racist' from all and sundryOooh, this one could run and run:D
I think it's fine to call it that, just as long as you can have the white equivalent as well.
Of course it would be even better if they could just have a .welsh film festival'.......and I'm not even sure about the 'welsh' bit.

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 13:56
peachey, how many candidates and winners were there at the Welsh Film Festival, who were black? I'd take a bet that every one of them was white. Theres your answer, there already is a White Welsh Film Festival.
Theres a Black Welsh Film Festival for part of the same reason there is a Welsh Film Festival, even though theres a UK Film Festival. How many candidates and winners at the UK Film Festival were Welsh? I'd take a guess and say not many, if jack all infact.

peachey
30-10-2003, 13:57
peachey, how many candidates and winners were there at the Welsh Film Festival, who were black? I'd take a bet that every one of them was white. Theres your answer, there already is a White Welsh Film Festival.
Theres a Black Welsh Film Festival for part of the same reason there is a Welsh Film Festival, even though theres a UK Film Festival. How many candidates and winners at the UK Film Festival were Welsh? I'd take a guess and say not many, if jack all infact.

from your tone
I take it that you think I am white

how did you come to this conclusion?

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 14:05
peachey, you've obviously lost your marbles. How can you tell from my tone, what i think you are? Please explain. Or are you saying my comments arent as valid, or dont apply if you're not white? Again, please explain.

And by the way, just FYI:

"does that mean we can have a white welsh film festival too without howls of 'racist' from all and sundry"

If you werent white anyway, you wouldnt have said we. Unless you're easily confused.

peachey
30-10-2003, 14:17
peachey, you've obviously lost your marbles. How can you tell from my tone, what i think you are? Please explain. Or are you saying my comments arent as valid, or dont apply if you're not white? Again, please explain.

And by the way, just FYI:

"does that mean we can have a white welsh film festival too without howls of 'racist' from all and sundry"

If you werent white anyway, you wouldnt have said we. Unless you're easily confused.

the 'we' I was using was the people who live in Wales

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 14:29
peachey, why may i ask did you refer to the Black Film Festival as "they" instead of "we" then? Please stop making a fool of yourself.

peachey
30-10-2003, 14:40
peachey, why may i ask did you refer to the Black Film Festival as "they" instead of "we" then? Please stop making a fool of yourself.

'they' being whoever decided to set it up

I think you are the one tripping up over grammar and getting all annoyed

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 14:54
peachey, your grammar and the way something is said says alot about a person, especially when they're full of inconsistencies. If you meant the people who set it up, then why did you not say "they" again? Why did you not say "does that mean they can have a white......"? Your subconcious came out of your mind and into your words. Any psychologist worth half a donut can tell you that.

And i'm the one tripping up over grammar and getting annoyed?
Where have i said or implied you're getting annoyed? The fact that you've put "i think you are the one" at the beginning of the sentence, makes it clear to every tom, dick and harry that really it is YOU who are. Otherwise, you merely would have said "you are slipping up and getting annoyed" or similar. Your subconcious seems to be like a banana skin, and you keep falling over it again and again.

peachey
30-10-2003, 15:01
peachey, your grammar and the way something is said says alot about a person, especially when they're full of inconsistencies. If you meant the people who set it up, then why did you not say "they" again? Why did you not say "does that mean they can have a white......"? Your subconcious came out of your mind and into your words. Any psychologist worth half a donut can tell you that.

And i'm the one tripping up over grammar and getting annoyed?
Where have i said or implied you're getting annoyed? The fact that you've put "i think you are the one" at the beginning of the sentence, makes it clear to every tom, dick and harry that really it is YOU who are. Your subsoncious seems to be like a banana skin, and you keep falling over it again and again.

..like you are hannibal lecter all of a sudden.

My suggestion that you were becoming annoyed was created from your very first post where in capital letters you tried to gag the post, and any comment on it, at its offset

any psycologist, since we have brought that science into it,would tell you that your view of the world is a solipsismic one.

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 15:15
peachey, yes i am annoyed. That has no relevance to my previous "I think you are the one" point.

Theres no such word as solipsismic......or is that from your own private language?
I'll assume you mean solipsistic. Yeah, my view is a little "solipsistic", but not much.

peachey
30-10-2003, 15:19
peachey, yes i am annoyed. That has no relevance to my previous "I think you are the one" point.

Theres no such word as solipsismic......or is that from your own private language?
I'll assume you mean solipsistic. Yeah, my view is a little "solipsistic", but not much.

solipsism †¢ \SOH-lip-sih-zum\ †¢ noun
: a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing

Example sentence:
After learning about solipsism in Philosophy 101, Dan wondered if the things around him might just be products of his own mind.

Nemesis
30-10-2003, 15:21
Shall we get Incog in here, bring our dictionaries and have an English Lesson, or should we perhaps get back ON TOPIC ...

gazzae
30-10-2003, 15:32
I don't see a problem with it being a Black Film Festival, as the films being shown seem to relate to black issues.

I seem to remember the same topic coming up about the MOBOs.

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 15:35
solipsism • \SOH-lip-sih-zum\ • noun
: a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing

Example sentence:
After learning about solipsism in Philosophy 101, Dan wondered if the things around him might just be products of his own mind.

And this proves the word "solipsismic" exists how exactly? As i've already said; the word is solipsistic, not solipsismic.

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 15:40
I don't see a problem with it being a Black Film Festival, as the films being shown seem to relate to black issues.

I seem to remember the same topic coming up about the MOBOs.

Yes, i'm pretty sure it was on .com.

Nemesis
30-10-2003, 15:46
And this proves the word "solipsismic" exists how exactly? As i've already said; the word is solipsistic, not solipsismic.

sigh ...

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=solipsistic

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the Dictionary search box to the right.

Suggestions for solipsismic:
1. solipsistic (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=solipsistic) 2. solipsisms (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=solipsisms) 3. solipsism (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=solipsism) 4. solipsists (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=solipsists) 5. solipsist (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=solipsist) 6. symposiarchs (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=symposiarchs) 7. symposiums (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=symposiums) 8. synopsizing (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=synopsizing) 9. syllogisms (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=syllogisms) 10. symposiasts (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=symposiasts)

Bex
30-10-2003, 17:11
two questions really and i dont mean to offend anyone.....

1. what on earth does solipsism have with the black welsh film festival........??????? solipsism is a philosophical conept and has no bearing on the original thread topic

2. what do you actually intend this thread to be about?

Chris
30-10-2003, 18:13
2. what do you actually intend this thread to be about?
I have an idea about that but it would be unfair of me to keep repeating it.

Bex
30-10-2003, 18:18
I have an idea about that but it would be unfair of me to keep repeating it.

maybe the thread starter would be able to shed some light?

Theodoric
30-10-2003, 19:16

does that mean we can have a white welsh film festival too without howls of 'racist' from all and sundry
Looking at this topic sideways (or possibly even upside down :) ), Welshmen are often described as dark-complexioned, so the name of the festival should cause no problems.

Russ
30-10-2003, 19:17
Welshmen are often described as dark-complexioned

We are?? That's news to me.

I could signal to overhead aircraft with my pasty-white flesh :spin:

Maggy
30-10-2003, 19:21
Shall we get Incog in here, bring our dictionaries and have an English Lesson, or should we perhaps get back ON TOPIC ...

I don't mind smacking the pair of them but for the rest I'm on holiday.Anyway as far as I'm concerned I'm staying out of the original discussion.

Run away,run away.

Incog. :)

Theodoric
30-10-2003, 19:28
We are?? That's news to me.

I could signal to overhead aircraft with my pasty-white flesh :spin:
Indeed, I'm not making it up, although (I was afraid that this question would arise) I can't quote an example off-hand.

EDIT A quick Google search gives me a German historical site (http://www.anglistik.uni-kiel.de/Chairs/Linguist/docs/ ger/mitarbeiter/ma/rohde/history/history-H7) that says:

"The Celts mixed with the dark-complexioned native inhabitants. Their descendants surviving only in the mountains of the Celtic Fringe (Gaels in the Scottish Highlands, Britons in Wales and Cornwall) have, until recently, been darker than the Anglo-Saxon population in England."

peachey
30-10-2003, 20:01
Indeed, I'm not making it up, although (I was afraid that this question would arise) I can't quote an example off-hand.

EDIT A quick Google search gives me a German historical site (http://www.anglistik.uni-kiel.de/Chairs/Linguist/docs/ ger/mitarbeiter/ma/rohde/history/history-H7) that says:

"The Celts mixed with the dark-complexioned native inhabitants. Their descendants surviving only in the mountains of the Celtic Fringe (Gaels in the Scottish Highlands, Britons in Wales and Cornwall) have, until recently, been darker than the Anglo-Saxon population in England."

yes...the coal miners were pretty dark complexioned at the end of a working day too

Bex
30-10-2003, 20:25
<snippity snip>Run away,run away.

Incog. :)

coggy is that ur fav saying today? ;)

ok so peachy is not answering my question, i'm being ignored :bigcry:

Maggy
30-10-2003, 20:40
must stop watching monty python's the holy grail.

incog. :)

Bex
30-10-2003, 20:43
must stop watching monty python's the holy grail.

incog. :)

:D good film although life of brian is better "huge tracks of land" :rofl:
"he's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy" :rofl: :rofl:

Stuart
30-10-2003, 20:51
:D good film although life of brian is better "huge tracks of land" :rofl:
"he's not the messiah he's a very naughty boy" :rofl: :rofl:
"Apart from that, What have the Romans ever done for us?".

& The Peoples Liberation Front of Judea..

:rofl: :rofl:

Bex
30-10-2003, 20:57
"Apart from that, What have the Romans ever done for us?".

& The Peoples Liberation Front of Judea..

see everyones fav film.........last time i watched was hammered and it was ten times funnier.........

i love the bit where someone knocks on the door and they all hide :rofl:

aliferste
30-10-2003, 21:22
The issue with calling something a "white film whatever" is that in our society just about every film is to do with white actors, film directors etc.

When groups are oppressed they get together to support each other , which is why you get black policemans groups etc. You dont have a white policemans group as they are in the majority and in the whole are doing the oppressing!

peachey
30-10-2003, 21:25
The issue with calling something a "white film whatever" is that in our society just about every film is to do with white actors, film directors etc.

When groups are oppressed they get together to support each other , which is why you get black policemans groups etc. You dont have a white policemans group as they are in the majority and in the whole are doing the oppressing!

yeah, but they used to make black and white films

Russ
30-10-2003, 21:26
and in the whole are doing the oppressing!

Now I find that to be an offensive and racist comment.

peachey
30-10-2003, 21:53

yeah - same here

Bex
30-10-2003, 21:55
yeah - same here

but you see this thread in essence was going to cause peeps to come out with racist and offensive comments

peachey
30-10-2003, 22:01
but you see this thread in essence was going to cause peeps to come out with racist and offensive comments

no

not at all, for example

It bugs me when you see people saying they are 50% Irish or 25% Scottish and stuff - you hear the usa people doing it a lot - it's not just an issue of 'colour' - its an issue of some bunch of people trying to set themselves apart from everyone else - so they can seem more special and singled out in their own minds

the people are living in the place they happen to be living and to me that's the end of it

the very notion of branding people into different categories does more to create racism than to get rid of it

Caspar
30-10-2003, 22:04
I think accusing white groups as oppressors is leading, stereotypical, very much bigotry in itself. None of that please. :nono:

However, Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve always wondered about the Black Music Awards, could you ever have the White Music Awards, probably notââ‚Âà ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦cause that would be racist :confused:

Bex
30-10-2003, 22:06
no

not at all, for example

It bugs me when you see people saying they are 50% Irish or 25% Scottish and stuff - you hear the usa people doing it a lot - it's not just an issue of 'colour' - its an issue of some bunch of people trying to set themselves apart from everyone else - so they can seem more special and singled out in their own minds

the people are living in the place they happen to be living and to me that's the end of it

the very notion of branding people into different categories does more to create racism than to get rid of it

ok i see your point.....however society has and will always catergorise people in certain ways.......Bob is male and Steph is female.....they are both "labels" and to a certain degree labels do make things easier......not saying they are right

i have many "black" friends but i wouldn't consider them "black"

i don't necessirally agree that people put them selves in certain groups to make them feel more or less special....we catergorise ourselves, its part of our nature (excuse my spelling getting tired)

peachey
30-10-2003, 22:08
I think accusing white groups as oppressors is leading, stereotypical, very much bigotry in itself. None of that please. :nono:

However, Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve always wondered about the Black Music Awards, could you ever have the White Music Awards, probably notââ‚Âà ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦cause that would be racist :confused:

yeah right

I switched on a show a couple of years back
calling itself "black comedy"

I switched it on expecting to see comedians performing
satirical catch-22 style jokes and stuff

all I saw was a show where white people were excluded from being on

the whole concept is not what it is, but what it isn't
and that is basically what i am going on about

Bex
30-10-2003, 22:08

However, I’ve always wondered about the Black Music Awards, could you ever have the White Music Awards, probably not…cause that would be racist :confused:
cas i agree......... when "black" people put themselves in that category it is seen as ok, but if "white" put them self into a certain category of white it is racist.....explain that one to me someone

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 22:10

Your attempts at irony have become incredibly tiresome.
And if its not purposeful irony you're attempting, then its pathetic on so many levels.

Bex
30-10-2003, 22:15
Your attempts at irony have become incredibly tiresome.
And if its not purposeful irony you're attempting, then its pathetic on so many levels.

:nono: there is noooo need for that :mad:

peachey
30-10-2003, 22:17
ezenden found the thread tiresome with his very first post

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 22:26
bexy, theres no need for you to be living a life of luxury while moaning about trivial matters. Whats your point? Becauses theres no need for something, doesnt mean it cant be done.

peachey, no, i find you and your clique tiresome.

Bex
30-10-2003, 22:30
bexy, theres no need for you to be living a life of luxury while moaning about trivial matters. Whats your point? Becauses theres no need for something, doesnt mean it cant be done.

excuse me, you know nothing about me or my life, and i think you are turning this into personal attacks and it isn't right..........:nono:

peachey
30-10-2003, 22:31

I gathered that from the moment you first tried to gag the thread

who gives a stuff what you find tiresome

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 22:33
excuse me, you know nothing about me or my life, and i think you are turning this into personal attacks and it isn't right..........:nono:

I know enough to realise you live a life of luxury. The fact that you're speaking to me at this very moment is proof enough.

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 22:35
peachey, you do. Which is why you've responded to nearly all my posts in this thread and infact claimed to know what i find tiresome. And i'll be surprised if you can resist this latest provocative bait.

peachey
30-10-2003, 22:38
peachey, you do. Which is why you've responded to nearly all my posts in this thread and infact claimed to know what i find tiresome. And i'll be surprised if you can resist this latest provocative bait.

so you are good at "baiting", huh?

Paul K
30-10-2003, 22:39
Ezenden do you have some sort of personal gripe here as far as Peachy and Bex are concerned? Bex is currently waiting to begin training for a new job, some people work strange hours, just because they are here posting it does not mean they are living a life of luxury and are just sitting at home all day. They may even be posting from work.

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 22:47
Paul, i have nothing against bexy, infact shes probably one of the most plesant people here. I have nothing against peachey either, he's merely fun to antagonize.

And i didnt mean bexy sat at home all day on the internet, or anything close. The very fact that she can access the internet AT ALL is a luxury. No doubt she has shelter, regular hot meals, family, friends, etc etc. They're all luxuries, and theres hundreds of millions of people around the world who'd give anything to be in any one of our positions.

Paul K
30-10-2003, 22:52
If you want to comment on the state of the world today and the fact that many live without even the basics that they need to exist then please start a thread of your own to discuss it not hijack a totally different topic. Nothing personal mate but this is not the way to go. Start a thread and I'm sure you will get a response and a decent amount of discussion.

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 22:58
Paul, i merely made a simple, short statement. It is you and bexy who've forced me to elaborate on it, so dont try and make out i'm starting a new discussion.
And while you're at it why dont you also please tell: peachey, theodoric, and incog to also start a new discussion - as numerous times they've also gone way off topic in this thread. Unless the spelling of words and Celtic skin pigment are relative?

Bex
30-10-2003, 23:07
i think this thread should be closed....any mods around...the thread has gone way off topic, and the topic was not particularly weel sign posted in the first place and now we have personal attacks and offensive posts

can it be closed?

Paul K
30-10-2003, 23:09
OK, last post off topic in this thread from me but on the subject of staying on topic how was your first post on thei topic keeping this thread focused on what Peachy wanted to talk about?

Maggy
30-10-2003, 23:10
i think it is in danger of disappearing up it's own...........so i agree lets close it.

incog :)

peachey
30-10-2003, 23:12
OK, last post off topic in this thread from me but on the subject of staying on topic how was your first post on thei topic keeping this thread focused on what Peachy wanted to talk about?

I was simply trying to say that some things were neither black or white so to speak - ie in an argument

the whole concept is not just as simple as placing salt & pepper in different pots

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 23:15

Make up your mind please. Answering your above question would be going off topic again. But nevertheless;

My first post was on topic, because i was talking about what preachey wanted to talk about. If that makes sense.

peachey
30-10-2003, 23:18
Make up your mind please. Answering your above question would be going off topic again. But nevertheless;

My first post was on topic, because i was talking about what preachey wanted to talk about. If that makes sense.

this is what you posted:

"Oh for crying out loud. Not again.

YOU CAN ONLY DISCUSS THE EXACT SAME BORING, TEDIOUS, REPETITIVE SUBJECT SO MANY TIMES!"

Niles Crane
30-10-2003, 23:20
peachey, thanks but i can read and have a memory. But perhaps you should read my last post again:

"i was talking about what peachey wanted to talk about". Which is this : "BORING, TEDIOUS, REPETITIVE".

Paul K
30-10-2003, 23:24
Exactly my point Peachy, now please people, on topic or not at all :) Lets not lose another thread to a closure. If you have nothing constructive to say ONTOPIC please don't waste your time posting :)

Maggy
30-10-2003, 23:29
:knock: :knock: :knock:

incog. :nono:

Caspar
30-10-2003, 23:32
Can we calm this thread down please. At least try and keep the thread on topic!...

btw, did anyone actually attend the festival?

Bex
30-10-2003, 23:35
peachey plz check ur pms

peachey
30-10-2003, 23:50
peachey plz check ur pms

oh go on then - close it

throws hands up into air like that shot in the film 'platoon'

aliferste
31-10-2003, 07:46

LOL

Russ why do you find that offensive?

what youve got to do is

1 Recognise that racism is a reality throughout British society
2 Understand that racism is a white problem in British society
3 Recognise that you colude with racism (not you personally)
4 Do not just be non racist .......which is basically do nothing but be anti racist which is on fact do something

aliferste
31-10-2003, 07:47
yeah, but they used to make black and white films

I find this kind of remark offensive!