PDA

View Full Version : Privacy Numbers

Pia
17-11-2005, 22:06
Hi everyone,

I got a missed call on my mobile this morning from what seemed to be an unknown mobile number.

I am too curious to let them ring me back so i rang them while i was at work today and it said something like this:
"This is a privacy number which is no longer in use, please go to www.privacynumbers.com (http://www.privacynumbers.com)
for more information"

Now, i have never heard of this, i assumed someone had rang me from a temporary anonymous number- but when i checked the site out it says it can only be used for receiving calls.

For example, if i wanted somebody to call me without giving them my number- i give them a 'Privacy Number' and they call that instead.
So why did i get a missed call from it? :confused:

danielf
17-11-2005, 22:09
Perhaps you were spammed by the people from privacynumbers.con?

Pia
17-11-2005, 22:10
.con hehe like the typo.

But how would they get my number? The site does seem pretty genuine cos i thought it might be some sort of spam scam but not so sure..

ian@huth
17-11-2005, 22:33
They could be just ringing number groups with a very brief call to make sure it isn't answered to see what numbers are valid and respond.

Pia
17-11-2005, 22:37
But surely they will have bought a list of numbers for their use instead of making them up :shrug:

ian@huth
17-11-2005, 22:49
Looking at their website it makes me wonder why they are providing this service if is truly free.

Pia
17-11-2005, 22:55
Looking at their website it makes me wonder why they are providing this service if is truly free.

:shrug: Beats me!! It's bugging me as to why they called me though, and how!!

danielf
17-11-2005, 23:00

With a bit of googling I've seen it suggested they get a percentage of the call costs from the operator that owns the number.

:shrug: Beats me!! It's bugging me as to why they called me though, and how!!

They may just have called numbers randomly. As for why: probably to get you to look at their website (which you did :))

ian@huth
17-11-2005, 23:19
There have been several similar threads to this on other forums where the OP has received a one ring call and got the same message that the number was no longer in use when calling the number back.

Privacynumbers.com website mentions another service of theirs which is at privacyexchange.com. There is an American organisation at privacyexchange.org which appears to be legit but it makes me wonder if the dotcom address is used to make anyone searching for privacyexchange to see the dotorg site and think they are both the same.

Nidge
18-11-2005, 04:05
Last week I changed my phone number with NTL because I was getting fed up of all the sales calls even though I'm on the TPS, they chaged my number, everything was ok for the first few days then the calls started again, it's always the same Indian vioce saying is that such and such form a certain address? "No you have the wrong address". Oh sorry sir but can I just have a minute of your time? How did you get my number I'm on the telephone preference service? Sorry to bother you sir then he puts the phone down. Have I got to change my number again?

Xaccers
18-11-2005, 09:45
If they're using autodialers (which dial random numbers) then being on the TPS won't make a difference as that deals with phone number lists.
Autodialers seem to be used by those "Hi, someone in your household entered a competition and have now won" recorded messages.

In Japan a company used an auto dialer from a premium rate number, to call mobiles, let it ring once and hang up.
People called back being charged the minimum amount instantly even if they hung up after a second of the recorded message.
It made the people behind it an absolute fortune in the short time they had before the telecom company and goverment blocked it.