PDA

View Full Version : The apple logo

peachey
29-10-2003, 20:55
I was watching the film "enigma"

and this guy I was speaking to via msn claims that the apple logo - with bite out of it
stems from the way the guy who headed that enigma project committed suicide - eg - by taking a bite out of a poison apple

ic14
29-10-2003, 20:56
Yeah ive heard that too.

I think there honoring him, or something.

The Apple Fan IC

peachey
29-10-2003, 20:58
Yeah ive heard that too.

I think there honoring him, or something.

The Apple Fan IC

do you happen to know what variety of apple it was

eg - granny smith, braeburn, cooking apple etc?

downquark1
29-10-2003, 21:02
Someone told me that the old multi-coloured apple represented the scienide. A quick google found this:
http://www.greggore.com/dln021203.htm

Another search found this How did Apple get its name, and how did Apple get that logo?

Steve Jobs had worked during the summer at an apple farm, and admired the Beatles' record label, Apple. He also believed Apples to be the most perfect fruit. He and Steve Wozniak were trying to figure out a name for their new company, and they decided that if they couldn't think of one by the end of the day that was better than Apple, they would choose Apple. They couldn't think of anything better, so on April 1, 1976, Apple Computer, Inc. was born.

But they needed a logo. The first design included Sir Isaac Newton, a tree and a banner that said "Apple Computer." Jobs decided they needed a less busy logo, one that would signify a brand. The second logo attempt was very similar to the current logo, but without the bite taken out of it. Jobs thought this logo looked too much like an orange. The third attempt was the logo that Apple still uses.

I heard that Apple was so named because Alan Turing took a bite of a poison apple when commiting suicide, and the name was picked as an homage. Is this true?

This theory cropped up several years ago, and has popped up from time to time. As far as I know, it is entirely untrue. Myth. Urban Legend. But then again, I don't even know Apple's mission statement. from here
http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=faq#8000

Xaccers
29-10-2003, 21:03
Ah yes, Alan Turing, a homosexual in a time when that was believed to be a desease.
He was given oestrogen to "control his urges" which resulted in breast tissue forming.

Turing died on June 7, 1954 from what the medical examiners described as, "self-administered potassium cyanide while in a moment of mental imbalance." Other reasons for his death have surfaced. His mother claimed that he used to experiment with household chemicals, trying to create new substances and became careless. Others claim he was homosexual and killed himself to prevent embarrassment.

Theodoric
29-10-2003, 21:27
Ah yes, Alan Turing, a homosexual in a time when that was believed to be a desease.
He was given oestrogen to "control his urges" which resulted in breast tissue forming.

Turing died on June 7, 1954 from what the medical examiners described as, "self-administered potassium cyanide while in a moment of mental imbalance." Other reasons for his death have surfaced. His mother claimed that he used to experiment with household chemicals, trying to create new substances and became careless. Others claim he was homosexual and killed himself to prevent embarrassment.
Re the chemicals bit, towards the end of his life Turing worked on the kinetics of chemical reactions, particularly with reference to diffusion. How much of this was purely mathematical (he was a mathematician after all) and how much involved chemical experiments I do not know.

cjmillsnun
01-11-2003, 10:46
Someone told me that the old multi-coloured apple represented the scienide. A quick google found this:
http://www.greggore.com/dln021203.htm

Another search found this from here
http://www.apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=faq#8000

I suspect that the reason for the logo may be biblical. (I am sure Russ knows which particular part of the bible I am referring to!)

Think Genesis, think the Garden of Eden, think of a certain tree, The apple with the chunk bitten out is the part supposedly eaten by a certain pair of people in the garden.

Chris
01-11-2003, 19:10
The Apple logo survives to this day, but sadly the 'happy Mac' logo beloved of Mac users died a death when OSX 10.1 gave way to 10.2. *sigh*

Download Failed (1)

downquark1
01-11-2003, 19:19
The Apple logo survives to this dayOnly now a shiny blue

And the happy mac is still used as my finder icon :confused:

Chris
01-11-2003, 19:36
Only now a shiny blue

And the happy mac is still used as my finder icon :confused:
D'oh .. so it is. I'm stuck in front of my mother-in-law's PC at the mo'. I was thinking of the initial boot-up screen, which used to go 'chinnnng!' and then smile at you. Now it goes 'chinnnng!' and presents a rather boring pale grey apple logo on a darker grey background.

Lew
02-11-2003, 14:55
The first design included Sir Isaac Newton, a tree and a banner that said "Apple Computer."

That'd be this one, then :)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2003/11/8.gif