PDA

View Full Version : Pick and Mix

Maggy
29-10-2003, 20:17
No not sweets. Religion!

I was idly watching some programme about faith and religion last Sunday, you know the sort where they interview some celeb about what they believe.
Well there they were with someone I didn't know who said that they were Christian with traces of Buddhist.
I have been pondering about this off and on ever since.

Have we become so used to viewing religion as a commodity that we now choose our religious beliefs in the same way we choose sweets?
I mean it's like people go around picking and choosing the 'best' bits of a religion and leaving out the parts that they don't want or like. Is this possible? Surely, we have to embrace all that a particular religion has to offer even the bits that we have problems with.

Thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s why I'm an athiest.I can't believe in God so I can't be a Christian despite the fact that much of the Christian faith has parts that I can believe in. I mean how can one claim to be a Catholic and not embrace the non-use of contraceptives? It is a part of their faith after all.

Any thoughts?

Incog. :)

Russ
29-10-2003, 20:24
IMO following a faith is such a huge decision in life that you need to be it, feel it, live it 100% or none at all. Diluting it with other beliefs is a reciepe for disaster.

And on the subject, just a reminder that Catholics and Christians are two seperate denominations :)