PDA

View Full Version : 17inch TFT Screen

LooeyUK
29-10-2003, 18:07
Need peoples advice, im just about to order this

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=51727

Could anyone with this give me some bad/good points about it?

Cheers.

Nemesis
29-10-2003, 18:47
Need peoples advice, im just about to order this

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=51727

Could anyone with this give me some bad/good points about it?

Cheers.
Personally I would get one with a DVI input and a USD hub, but that's just me ...

imback
29-10-2003, 19:35
I got a nice gnr one from ebuyer, a gppd price and had it about 5 months now and it's great.

One thing I would say is TFT's are deffinatly "bigger" screen wise, I got a 17inch and took it back because it was just too big for me to look at, the 15inch I got instead is far bigger,screen wise, than my 15inch CRT

trebor
29-10-2003, 20:13
the spec doesn't say what the pixel response time is
I would worry about that, or ask.

Jarandco
30-10-2003, 17:46
Looks allright although id agree i would try to get one with DVI, although i wont matter too much, ive just got a philips 170B4 17" TFT

Jon M
30-10-2003, 17:56
the overwhelming recommendation i've had is the LG 1710B which has both DVI and a USB hub but most importantly a response time rated at 16ms.. everyone i know who has one has said that it's amazing.. i'm buying one myself as soon as i can

best price i've found is at amazon for £330

LooeyUK
30-10-2003, 18:13
I like the look of that LG 1710B. Can someone explain to me what USB hub and DVI on the monitor.

Cheers!!!

Jon M
30-10-2003, 18:24
DVI is a digital rather than analogue signal.. it gives you less interference and a better overall picture. beware however.. your graphics card has to support DVI output.. (it should have a larger white socket next to the one you're using at the moment)

the USB hub is useful especially if you have a limited amount of USB ports on your PC but a fair amount of USB devices.. also, it is far easier to reach a port that is in your monitor than it is to scrabble under your desk to plug your devices in

idi banashapan
30-10-2003, 19:03
dot pitch and response time are the things you want to be interested in. the fact these two bits of information are missing should be cause to look further into it before you buy it...

paulyoung666
30-10-2003, 19:12
sorry but only one dead pixel would **** me off summat rotten , my opinion only of course :)

LooeyUK
30-10-2003, 20:10
dead pixels? what do they look like then? if there is a dead pixel is that a good excuse to send it back.?

paulyoung666
30-10-2003, 21:44
dead pixels? what do they look like then? if there is a dead pixel is that a good excuse to send it back.?

it can be one pixel or more that dont work , so you get a spot on the screen that will permanently show up as doing nothing , i think i am right in saying the more money you spend the less you have to put up with until you can get it replaced under warranty :)

Jon M
30-10-2003, 21:58
dead pixels are the only negative aspect of tft screens.. most good manufacturers will operate an "acceptable defect rate" of between 1-4 pixels that can be dead and yet not be allowed a replacement.. it's worth investigating. i know LG are in the better group of manufacturers.. and from reports i've heard they are very good at quality control.

which is another reason to stay away from the lesser known brands.. as they tend to operate a far higher acceptable defect rate of up to 8 dead pixels.. which if they're all near to each other can create a nasty spot instead of a spec

Paul K
30-10-2003, 23:46
I have a 17 inch LCD with 1 dead pixel, hardly notice it at all.

imback
31-10-2003, 01:49
No dead ones on mine and it was cheap as chips, as the camp, yet suprisingly straight guy on bargin hunt says :D

Nemesis
31-10-2003, 09:14
I got the LG 782LE with DVI and USB, very impressive ... they've discontinued it now, but would go for another LG again, they have had some very favourable reviews.

paulyoung666
31-10-2003, 10:48
I have a 17 inch LCD with 1 dead pixel, hardly notice it at all.

i suppose it is down to the individual , my mate has one with 1 dead pixel and it drives me mad when i see it :mis:

KingPhoenix
31-10-2003, 22:58
the overwhelming recommendation i've had is the LG 1710B which has both DVI and a USB hub but most importantly a response time rated at 16ms.. everyone i know who has one has said that it's amazing.. i'm buying one myself as soon as i can

best price i've found is at amazon for £330

I got one of these delivered 3 days ago :P

And i must say its absolutely awesome!!!

The quality out of it is amazing, and it fits my new graphics card like a glove (Arrived today :p FX 5900 :D)

The USB Hub on the other hand is rather CRAP!!!! As it isnt even powered!!! so i cant run my mouse through it :( but other than that, i suppose its pretty good.... Setting it up is a doddle... it has a button called AUTO/SELECT, press that and it sets it up for you!!! :D

Anywayz.... id recommend it definitely!