PDA

View Full Version : Ex-directory problem

dayloon
14-11-2005, 12:21
When i had my phone line with BT it was *not* ex-directory. About 9 months ago I moved my line (and number) to NTL. I told them that i wanted it to be ex-directory. Since then I have discovered that it's not. I am able to call directory enquires or look on BT's website and get my number easily. So I called NTL who said "We've got you down as being ex-directory - it's BT's fault. Call them". I called BT who said "We can't change anything on your number because it's with NTL now, it's their responsibility". I called NTL again who said "Wrong - it's definately BT's fault". I ended up calling 118500 and asking to speak to a manager. The manager said that it's definately up to NTL to make me ex-directory but every time i speak to a customer service rep i'm told the same thing each time...."We have got you down as being ex-directory - it's BT who must be making it available". I've run out of ideas now.

beardsley
14-11-2005, 13:41
How about trying to take BT out of the equation. Do the NTL DQ service give out your number?

This sounds like a data protection violation. Just not sure on who's part.

dwabbit
14-11-2005, 14:40
As ive worked for both companies.In the past before the 192 breakup
the data Bt has on you phone numbers is gathered from all telco same for other telcos if you are an NTL customer and BT directory have your phone number listed as not EXdir then its a failure on NTL behalf
i was in the same situation and at the time i worked for BT I ended up contacting the then OFCOM to complain about NTL as it was there failure to inform other dir enq companies that the said number was ex dir also breach of data protection.
In the end i recieved a letter of apology from NTL and also compensation. also OFCOM slapped them big style
They took my case up rather quick took about 8 week in total

But i can tell you if you have requested NTL to be EXDIR and your number is still avail via 192 ect the NTL are at fault

one slight Draw back is because the phone books are about a year behind you might end up finding your number in next years phone book. Not alot can be done if its already in print.So you will end up being exdir but for 1 year you number will be in the book . As somwhere in book there is some disclaimer about info being correct on so and so date and this info was collected for different sources and not our fault if wrong

beardsley
14-11-2005, 15:43
Maybe you could ask to not be listed. As I understand the situation, this should mean that your number is not even on the list that gets supplied to BT.

andygrif
14-11-2005, 16:49
Your contract to be ex-directory is with ntl. Whether or not it is their fault or BT's fault that you're appearing to be listed everywhere should be none of your concern. As such ntl are responsible to provide you with the agree service(s) which form a legally binding contract.

Personally I would bypass OFCOM and go straight to trading standards as ntl are providing a product that is not fit for purpose (as in not the service that you and they agreed upon when you took them up on it). As such they should be given the opportunity to rectify the problem (which you did and they refused).

Therefore call up your local council's Trading Standards department, get some advice from them as to letters to write to the correct people, wording to use and time-frames to complete in etc.

In short, and hopefully Trading Standards will be saying the same thing as me, you should write a Recorded Delivery letter to the Company Secretary at the company's head office (in Hook I think) setting out clearly the problem that you are holding them liable for.

Tell them what you expect to happen...I guess your options are for the number to remain but to have the number de-listed or to have a change of number without them charging extra. Say when you expect this to have happened...suggest 21 days from reciept (which you will track via Royal Mail) to resolve to full satisfaction "to avoid further action".

By all means have a pop at OFCOM too, but I wouldn't expect to much from them. Let us know how you get on.

Syco
02-12-2005, 00:37
Forget OFCom they are toothless.
go direct to the source http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/eventual.aspx?id=1 I had the very same problem with exdirect, NTL tried to say that I had never asked to be ex-directory so it wasn't their fault even though I had it writen in big bold letters on the contract, I contacted the ICO and it must have been the fastest I have seen NTL ever move, within days I received letters and telephone calls from NTL appolagising and asuring me that it would be corrected (which it was) 2 weeks later I received a letter from the ICO asking if everything had been sorted to my satisfaction, I was well pleased!

Florence
02-12-2005, 19:10
We have always been exdirectory yet this year we have been getting hard sell calls saying our postcode had come up and was being offered this promotion..

If we was exdirectory how are they linking the phone number to the postcode?

Paul K
02-12-2005, 19:58
Are they actually saying what your postcode is? If not then it's just cold calling via an automatic number combination dialler I would guess.