PDA

View Full Version : so slow on 1mb

marty127
11-11-2005, 03:27
hi ive read and read about the max upload and dl speed for ntl 1mb but mine only goes at 37 kbs max but ive looked at my download stream and done tests it says its 1mb it even dls at 120kbs on a direct download file but i use torrents and the max i get is 37 no matter what i put the settings on but there must be somthing wong cos i used to get 156kbs from adsl 1mb AOL on the same file as well cos i just made the move temped by the 10mb but ntl can stick it if thease speeds are anything to go by can anyone help im using bitcomet client current settings are nolimit dl and 9 kbs up

using ntl for 12 hours and already want my aol back :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

MovedGoalPosts
11-11-2005, 10:30
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

Are you connecting via ethernet or USB - ethernet is preferred. Make sure your NIC has current drivers, and if you were previously using AOL all the AOL settings are cleanned off your PC.

Speed of torrents is nothing to do with the speed of your connection but everything to do with how many others are around to let your connect and download. If there are only 2 or 3 other shareres of the file you want, they also have their upload throttled right back, you can't get much. Torrents also work faster the longer you have been online with a file.

marty127
11-11-2005, 11:30
im using usb conection all aol is off done a fresh format and as fror seeds on torrents i used them for years and never had this problem i done file to file compear same file just on a diffrent day seeds were 164 with about 1000 lechers aol speeds 156kbs on wed got ntl thurs max speeds 37kbs all i can say is goodbye ntl welcome back to aol

MovedGoalPosts
11-11-2005, 11:33
Definitely looks at swapping over to ethernet if you can. It is much more robust. Dedicated hardware on the NIC can deal with the connection issues, whereas USB relies on the general reources of your PC and thus can be slower. Certainly if you have ambitions to go to 10meg speeds in the future you want to be using the best connection method avaialable.

Stop It
11-11-2005, 12:06
Have you actually tried downloading from normal sources to see if there actually is a problem, or if the Torrent you are dling from was the issue, remember, the longer you dl from a Torrent (while uploading), the more bandwidth becomes allocated to you, so if you were dling from AOL for a day, and ntl for an hour, the AOL would dl quicker (remember, you would have different IPs on AOL to NTL, so it wouldnt remember you).

marty127
11-11-2005, 13:01
yep i tryed direct dls and as far as i can tell it is a 1mb what ive got speeds of 120 to 126 it just seems to be the torrents the max up on dsl was 30kbs so i had it set to 13 now the max up on cable is 10 (i think) so at the moment ive set bitcomet to 6 witch is givin me the 37kbs ive tryed other settings but there worse do ntl force traffic through them as i know aol have done this in the past (i tryed the 2mb from aol once but cos of the high usage they forced traffic through them which made my dl speeds slower than the 1mb on p2p programs so i switched back and evrythin was fine again) but this is really startin to bug me its as if its caped to 37kbs but it carnt be cos i have checked and its 1mb strange

Cable Modem Operation ConfigurationNetwork Access : AllowedMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 1024000Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 100000Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600Maximum Number of CPEs : 1Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabledthat seams fine to me

Ruanimate
11-11-2005, 14:31
Hi

Problem could be the Torrent site. A lot of them nowadays are requesting that you use a particular port range for downloads. So if 50% of the users seeding are using, for example a port range of 5550:5900 and you only have ports
5500:5600 open in your firewall then all the seeders using ports from 5600 upwards cannot connect to you.
Look at the torrent site and see what port range is recomended.

I have a similar problem with a partcular torrent site which was fine until about 3-4 weeks ago and now I can only get similar download speeds to you.

So dont worry, I really dont think it's your ISP

use this link to test your speed
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html?1087388541322 (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html?1087388541322)

to repeat the test click on the here on line

To repeat this test from the source server click here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html?1131716234392).

DieDieMyDarling
11-11-2005, 14:50
I don't use torrents anymore, unless i absolutely have to, but with all the recent shut downs of various listing sites, and with more and more people leaving the torrent scene as a whole, you will experience much slower speed than say a year ago.

Another thing that can really get in the way is your firewall, i used to set my torrent ports as 50000-60000, then set them in my firewall client, on both TCP and UDP, i found i got much higher speeds that way.

The main problem will be seeds though, there just aren't as many around these days. Also make sure your settings are right in your torrent software, upstream set as high as possible, etc.

Ruanimate
11-11-2005, 14:55
Which leads onto the problem of potentially being hacked if you start opening huge ranges of ports in your firewall.

Me! Paranoid No, Never ... It's you lot :Yikes:

marty127
11-11-2005, 16:18
k now ive done somting i shoulnd of but i just wanted to try it im now runing aol with cable modem just to see and my current speeds are 104kbs maxin out at 120 now im going to have to put ntl back on of course but wtf?? anyone

o yer its same torrent file same bitcomet settings as well evrythin the same apart from using aol

fluff
11-11-2005, 16:50
I didn't know AOL worked with a cable modem ;)

marty127
11-11-2005, 17:14
as long as its a cable phone line whats been opened up for bb your good to go :)

fluff
11-11-2005, 17:16
as long as its a cable phone line whats been opened up for bb your good to go :)

ADSL won't work over a cable line.

ian@huth
11-11-2005, 17:18
I didn't know AOL worked with a cable modem ;)
AOL provide a 1 Mb service on NTL's cable network.

Ignition
11-11-2005, 17:56
Strewth what a palava.

1) You can go AOL just by using your AOL client over your existing connection.
2) I'm confused about the AOL over NTL phone lines, etc. OP claims to be using ADSL over an ntl line, then using AOL with cable modem, I'm a bit lost there :) Still no matter.
3) I reckon you're uploading too fast with the ntl 1Mbit. It has a 100k upload, not the 256k upload that AOL 1Mbit has, and uploading at 9kB/s is a bit too close, so you're probably maxing upload which is why you can't download at max speed - drop it to 5kB/s upload and should be fine.
4) Remember though that 1Mbit ntl only has a 3GB/MONTH cap so you'll soon burn that if you're spending loads of time torrenting. You must be paying both AOL and ntl to be switching in between, but I reckon you're better off with AOL to be honest.

marty127
11-11-2005, 18:31
im still upto date in payment with aol but ive 7 days to cancle my ntl which is what im going to do as u say the 3gig cap is no good to me as to the modem im not using adsl and cable modem just the cable one as ntl is my new phone provider there for i carnt use an asdl modem on there line

fluff
11-11-2005, 23:13
You've confused me enough with your english :erm:

marty127
12-11-2005, 12:18
thanx for the help (to eveyone who helped) im staying with ntl but i upgraded to the 2mb its the same price as aol 1mb so i might aswell and sice i upgraded my dl speeds have been spot on and sorry if my writing has CONFUSED u but i have dyslexia so sod off i do my best just what makes sence to me may not to u