PDA

View Full Version : Hormones make women safer drivers

Maggy
09-11-2005, 17:06
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4406176.stm

The female hormone oestrogen could give women the edge when it comes to tasks such as safe driving, say researchers.

Tests showed attention span and ability to learn rules were far better among women than men.

The Bradford University scientists told a hormone conference in London how tasks requiring mental flexibility favour women over men.

A woman's oestrogen levels may prime the part of the brain involved in such skills - the frontal lobe - they said.

I hope I'm doing the right thing posting this. :erm:

MovedGoalPosts
09-11-2005, 17:09
I hope I'm doing the right thing posting this. :erm:

I hope you are too :p:

DocDutch
09-11-2005, 17:10
LFMAO.... who proved this study???

also who can claim that women are safer drivers then men?????

okay I've started digging my own grave now before I get lynched by all the ladies on this forum

jrhnewark
09-11-2005, 17:12
I think it's a bit sweeping to give 'averages' when it comes to assuming that women have long attention spans and have a better ability to learn rules than men.

In fact, it's just daft.

Jon M
09-11-2005, 17:34
In my driving experience there are good and bad points about both sexes in the driving seat.
(all generalisations based on my observations)
Men are generally more aggressive.
Men like to prove themselves through competition.
Men have better spacial awareness.
Men concentrate on one thing at a time, often so intently that they can't even hold a conversation while driving.

Women tend to be less aggressive, competitive.
Women spread concentration (sometimes thinly) over multiple tasks.
Women tend to be less confident, especially with spacial awareness tasks.

Overall I think the good and bad on both sides make it too tough to choose one over the other.

ScaredWebWarrior
09-11-2005, 18:38
I hope I'm doing the right thing posting this. :erm:All I can think of is what happens when those hormones go rampaging once a month?

Are women with PMT still the placid, calm and safe drivers?

punky
09-11-2005, 20:16
I think she has it a**e-about-face. I don't think oestrogen would make women better drivers, but testosterone makes men worse. It is an awful, awful hormone. It causes men to be so aggressive they start fights, it causes us to speed, take unnecessary risks, and make us less aware of consequences.

Women don't realise just how bad testosterone is and how it controls men. They just think we are all born a**eholes, rather than have a medical condition which is akin to being p**sed 24/7

I bet if women suffered from testosterone, feminists would have the situation completely reversed. There would be a cure, or if not, they'd get all kind of exemptions rather than being forced to just live with it. They'd certainly wouldn't allow us to hold it against them.

Marge
09-11-2005, 20:45
hormone charged post snipped

and so the excuses start :D :D :D :Sprint:

budwieser
09-11-2005, 22:07
LFMAO.... who proved this study???

also who can claim that women are safer drivers then men?????

okay I've started digging my own grave now before I get lynched by all the ladies on this forum

"LFMAO" Are you Dyslexic??????????? LLO!:D
Just Koking.:)

luftys
09-11-2005, 23:21
However, other researchers in the past have suggested that spatial skills such as map reading and parking may be difficult for some women

Well they can drive but spend most of there time lost,so how do they get home :Yikes:

Maggy
10-11-2005, 01:29
However, other researchers in the past have suggested that spatial skills such as map reading and parking may be difficult for some women

Well they can drive but spend most of there time lost,so how do they get home :Yikes:

Because women will stop and ask the way..something men will NEVER do. :rofl:

jrhnewark
10-11-2005, 01:32
Because women will stop and ask the way..something men will NEVER do. :rofl:Hey, hey - I stopped and asked the other day (on prompt of the female driver, I admit!). Turned out I was in 'Syston' when I wanted to be in 'Syerston' and that I had stopped a Polish woman who knew about as much about the area as I do astrophysics. :D

Angua
10-11-2005, 08:35
The Welsh Cheif Constable agreed on radio 2 Jeremy Vine show the other day that women were better drivers!

luftys
10-11-2005, 12:43
Because women will stop and ask the way..something men will NEVER do. :rofl:

and we all know how you ladys will stop and talk to anyone :disturbd:

jrhnewark
10-11-2005, 12:52
The Welsh Cheif Constable agreed on radio 2 Jeremy Vine show the other day that women were better drivers!Which one? They're not all merged yet! :p:

Angua
10-11-2005, 14:15
Which one? They're not all merged yet! :p:

Richard Brunstrum

Nugget
10-11-2005, 14:20
Richard Brunstrum

Didn't he launch Virgin?

;) :disturbd:

ScaredWebWarrior
10-11-2005, 15:00
but testosterone makes men worse. It is an awful, awful hormone. It causes men to be so aggressive they start fights, it causes us to speed, take unnecessary risks, and make us less aware of consequences.But I suggest you wouldn't want to do without it.

You wouldn't be a bloke, for starters.

Ofcourse, not having to shave every day would be convenient. Having your own pair of boobs might be nice too. But you wouldn't be built as solidly, and rather than enjoying a good lagering/soccer sesh with your mates you'd be dancing around your handbag at a disco.

NOW tell me you still don't like testosterone!

Because women will stop and ask the way..something men will NEVER do. :rofl:That's because men don't need to!

Nugget
10-11-2005, 15:05
But I suggest you wouldn't want to do without it.

Ofcourse, not having to shave every day would be convenient. Having your own pair of boobs might be nice too. But you wouldn't be built as solidly, and rather than enjoying a good lagering/soccer sesh with your mates you'd be dancing around your handbag at a disco.

I'm not a massive fan - an excess of testosterone's what makes you go bald!

ScaredWebWarrior
10-11-2005, 15:06
In my driving experience there are good and bad points about both sexes in the driving seat. (all generalisations based on my observations)I have found that men tend to take more risks, whereas women do more stupid things.

i.e. when a bloke cuts in front of you it's because he figured he could get away with it. When a woman does it it's because she hasn't seen you.

When a man drives up close behind you it's because he's being agressive. When a woman tail-gates it's because she's got her mind on something else, is pressing the accelerator too hard and not noticing the lack of braking space.

Similarly with speeding - men do it because they just have to - faster than the other guy - competitive etc. Women speed because they just press the accelerator hard and only let up when it starts to scare them.

When men wait to turn right at a junction, it's because there's a car that would hit them if they pulled out. When women wait at that junction it's because they can see another car - no matter how far away, or whether it's moving (at all) fast or slow.

Now I know these are over-generalisations, but if you keep a tally next time you're out driving, you'll see roughly the same amount of bad driving from both sexes - it's only how/why that differs.

Nugget
10-11-2005, 15:10
I have found that men tend to take more risks, whereas women do more stupid things.

i.e. when a bloke cuts in front of you it's because he figured he could get away with it. When a woman does it it's because she hasn't seen you.

When a man drives up close behind you it's because he's being agressive. When a woman tail-gates it's because she's got her mind on something else, is pressing the accelerator too hard and not noticing the lack of braking space.

Similarly with speeding - men do it because they just have to - faster than the other guy - competitive etc. Women speed because they just press the accelerator hard and only let up when it starts to scare them.

When men wait to turn right at a junction, it's because there's a car that would hit them if they pulled out. When women wait at that junction it's because they can see another car - no matter how far away, or whether it's moving (at all) fast or slow.

Now I know these are over-generalisations, but if you keep a tally next time you're out driving, you'll see roughly the same amount of bad driving from both sexes - it's only how/why that differs.

Very good point that - more to the point you'll find that, if a bloke's speeding, it's because last orders is being called in 10 minutes. If a woman's doing it, it's because Desperate Housewives is on in 5 ;)

marky
10-11-2005, 15:13
I have found that men tend to take more risks, whereas women do more stupid things.

Class :tu:

Angua
10-11-2005, 15:21
But the cost of an insurance claim is lower from a female driver than a male as they tend to have minor accidents, whereas men have spectacular accidents.

marky
10-11-2005, 15:24
Generally because they are swerving around a woman doing 30mph in the outside lane of a motorway, who doesnt notice because she's busy doing her makeup in the mirror :disturbd:

Nugget
10-11-2005, 15:25
But the cost of an insurance claim is lower from a female driver than a male as they tend to have minor accidents, whereas men have spectacular accidents.

That's not strictly true - my sister-in-law has had about 5 bumps and scrapes in her car, whereas Twin Nug has only ever written one car off ... :erm: ... oh

:D

punky
10-11-2005, 16:35

Probably true, tbut that's not the reason that women get lower premiums and (falsely, i'll add) get called better drivers.

Insurance companies work on averages. The average claim for men is higher because:

1) Tend to drive bigger, more expensive cars. The same accident with a Corsa or Ka would be much cheaper than a 3 series BMW.

2) They drive more, so they are more likely to have an accident. The more you do something, the more likely it is that you'll eventually make a mistake.

Those are the two biggest factors in calculating a premium, along with where the car is stored, that form the basis for the premium. Neither take into account driving ability...

marky
10-11-2005, 16:47
I'm sorry to mock the ladies but,
Have you ever seen a woman try and read a map the right way up whilst travelling south, they keep turning the map around :D

:dig:

Marge
10-11-2005, 16:49
Men and their hormones :rolleyes: when I had a Golf then I could drive peacefully, got my MGF and some blokes take it as an insult that I'm driving a more powerful car than them and have to try and prove they can "burn me off" at lights etc :erm: I think somehow it regresses men back to cavemen days when they think the women should be sat in the cave with the kids, cooking over the fire, not out chasing the dinosaurs with them :D :D

T'other half drives most of the time like he's in the qualifiying round of the Monaco GP but I just let him get on with it, he can't help it, it's his testosterone :LOL:

punky
10-11-2005, 17:02
I think somehow it regresses men back to cavemen days when they think the women should be sat in the cave with the kids, cooking over the fire, not out chasing the dinosaurs with them :D :D

Chance will be a fine thing for my wife. If I have to go to work, then she can bloody well get off her ****, stop reading Heat and watching Neighbours and do some work ;)

If she claims she is a feminist she can bloody well act like one all the time, rather than when it just bloody suits her ;)

marina
10-11-2005, 17:16
Now you see this is where individual research papers show they're unreliable as far as theorising is concerned........ the bbc highlighted another piece of similar research in January (which i believe is on this forum somewhere) where it blamed the woman's hormones for her 'bad' driving http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4202199.stm when compared to male drivers........ perhaps the bbc should WAIT until reviews are done, and theories have more of a sound grounding, and THEN throw out research findings in this manner :)

The January paper has given me pause for thought though........ it says.......

......In women, the two fingers are usually almost equal in length, as measured from the crease nearest the palm to the fingertip. In men, the ring finger tends to be much longer than the index.....

Now you see i'm astounded and perplexed at that. If mens' ring fingers are so much longer....... then how is it that their wedding rings always manage to fall off before they get to a night club? :shrug:

Weird ;)

marky
10-11-2005, 17:22
EEErm thats because beer causes dehydration, and in so causes temperary weight loss in the fingers :erm:

Chris
10-11-2005, 17:25
What happens is, women use their multitasking ability to do several things at once, such as applying make up while approaching a roundabout. Man drives past, double-takes, and while saying to himself "I can't believe she's doing that!", overshoots the junction and causes a crash. It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

/runs for cover :D

ScaredWebWarrior
10-11-2005, 18:23
Men and their hormones :rolleyes: when I had a Golf then I could drive peacefully, got my MGF and some blokes take it as an insult that I'm driving a more powerful car than them MGF - ok - sporty looking, but hardly 'powerful'...

We men will 'race' any 'sporty' car - whether more or less powerful.

BTW - I generally drive a Mini (i.e. the old classic) and am ALWAYS being 'raced' by people in BMWs, Mercs etc. - Despite the fact that it's a 'no contest' situation (i.e. I always lose on a straight) they just can't help themselves.
But it could just be that I always beat them away from the lights ;)

Of course when it comes down to cornering etc. I can usually get the better of the bigger cars - then they always make the point of tearing past on the straight :)

If mens' ring fingers are so much longer....... then how is it that their wedding rings always manage to fall off before they get to a night club?Because it's not length that matters but girth.

Thought all women knew that ;)

Russ
10-11-2005, 18:39
There seems to be common traits with men and women's driving. For example, if you're on a slip road waiting to join a dual carriageway, keep an eye on any cars in the inside lane.

I have no statistical evidence to back this up other than my own experience but it happens too often for it to just be for me.

About 9 times out of 10, if the car in the inside lane moves to the outside enabling you to join the carriageway quicker, it'll be a man.

If the car stays there and makes you wait until they've passed you, the vast majority of the time it's a woman.

Now that is not meant as a criticism, just an observation and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it and can offer an explanation.

Interestingly also how a lot of women feel able to blame things on their hormones, whereas when men do something wrong, it's never our hormones....;)

Chimaera
10-11-2005, 18:42
I don't blame anything on my hormones - I'm a b!tch any day of the week! :D

I wouldn't be so bold as to rate my driving though ;)

marky
10-11-2005, 18:44
Now that is not meant as a criticism, just an observation and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it and can offer an explanation.

Yep its true, but i dont know why, i am only a man, so as such totaly unqualified to answer :rolleyes:

Maggy
10-11-2005, 18:57
But I suggest you wouldn't want to do without it.

That's because men don't need to!

Liar!!! :PP:

The Welsh Cheif Constable agreed on radio 2 Jeremy Vine show the other day that women were better drivers!

Well we are not discussing who are the better drivers here but who are the safest..There is a distinction I believe. :)

marina
10-11-2005, 19:11
[Snippity snipped]..........
Because it's not length that matters but girth.

Thought all women knew that ;)

No......... women tend to say that size doesn't matter........ and they know that's not true ;)

[Snipped]............Interestingly also how a lot of women feel able to blame things on their hormones, whereas when men do something wrong, it's never our hormones....;)

That's right....... it's usually something to do with Mother Nature or animal instincts that's used as an excuse, isn't it? :angel:

ScaredWebWarrior
10-11-2005, 20:25
That's right....... it's usually something to do with Mother Nature or animal instincts that's used as an excuse, isn't it? :angel:Not our fault Mother Nature had such a wicked sense of humour. And in any case, that's not an excuse, it's an explanation. Just the way it is.

ZrByte
11-11-2005, 09:56
BTW - I generally drive a Mini (i.e. the old classic) and am ALWAYS being 'raced' by people in BMWs, Mercs etc. - Despite the fact that it's a 'no contest' situation (i.e. I always lose on a straight) they just can't help themselves.
But it could just be that I always beat them away from the lights ;)

Of course when it comes down to cornering etc. I can usually get the better of the bigger cars - then they always make the point of tearing past on the straight :)

Been in that situation in both a corsa and a clio, Im always off first without even intending to race, its only when I notice the other driver catching upto me quickly that I keep the pressure on. Tight corners are no contest for a small hatch, occasionally you get someone with some skill or a really good car but most of the time the small hatchbacks just have a much higher cornering speed.
Though I never win these sort of things as I flat out refuse to speed while most of these people are willing to push 60+ on a 40 road just to beat me.