PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Ford Galaxy (Ignition) ?

skyblueheroes
09-11-2005, 10:18
Any budding car mechanics out there ?

I have a Ford Galaxy (X Reg), with no probs up until now. Anyway, twice now it has failed to start first time. Its been two seperate occasions with about 3 weeks between them.

Basically what happens is that I open the car, get in, put key in and turn. The dash lights show, but nothing happens - not even a ticking over or the engine attempting to start.

What happens then is wierd. I try a few times more and eventually after 8 or 9 turns, it works as though there was never a problem. I seem to recall opening the door, relocking and opening car so not sure if its an immobiliser problem. Would it stop the ignition this way ?

Anyway, I got warranty, so not a problem but just wanted a heads up on what it may be.

Jon M
09-11-2005, 10:20
It can often be a sticking alternator, but I wouldn't rule out electrical issues, especially if something is shorting out somewhere.

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
09-11-2005, 11:02
Neither a mechanic, nor a budding one... but asked a friend who is... and the response I got was:

"starter motor sticking or immobilizer not going off so inhibits starter motor"

Hope this is of some help - if the car is under warranty then the garage should be able to deal with it relatively easily??

bopdude
09-11-2005, 11:15
Neither a mechanic, nor a budding one... but asked a friend who is... and the response I got was:

"starter motor sticking or immobilizer not going off so inhibits starter motor"

Hope this is of some help - if the car is under warranty then the garage should be able to deal with it relatively easily??

As above, would only add that it could be the solonoid on the starter, but as you say, the warrenty 'should' cover you, they sometimes have fine print :mad: :mad:

ScaredWebWarrior
09-11-2005, 14:28

I have a Ford Galaxy (X Reg), with no probs up until now. Anyway, twice now it has failed to start first time. Its been two seperate occasions with about 3 weeks between them.Yep - had that with a Galaxy too. Just as if you've got a dead battery.

After a few attempts it usually starts, although I think I usually first put the car in gear, let off the handbrake and rock it a few times - to unstick the starter, if that is the problem.

Since it always starts eventually and then the problem will often disappear for months, a sticking starter seems the most likely cause.

budwieser
09-11-2005, 21:25

I have a Ford Galaxy (X Reg), with no probs up until now. Anyway, twice now it has failed to start first time. Its been two seperate occasions with about 3 weeks between them.

Basically what happens is that I open the car, get in, put key in and turn. The dash lights show, but nothing happens - not even a ticking over or the engine attempting to start.

What happens then is wierd. I try a few times more and eventually after 8 or 9 turns, it works as though there was never a problem. I seem to recall opening the door, relocking and opening car so not sure if its an immobiliser problem. Would it stop the ignition this way ?

Anyway, I got warranty, so not a problem but just wanted a heads up on what it may be.

Is it a Manual or Auto Gearbox?
Do you unlock it on the Remote?

skyblueheroes
09-11-2005, 23:01
Is it a Manual or Auto Gearbox?
Do you unlock it on the Remote?

Manual. And yes, with key.

MILLESTEVE
14-05-2008, 13:23
Had Same Problem Now Trying To Remove Ignition Switch To Replace Anyone Know How To Do This

Osem
15-05-2008, 09:22
Do a search and/or ask your question here:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/threads.htm?f=4&

roadwolf
15-05-2008, 15:49
Had Same Problem Now Trying To Remove Ignition Switch To Replace Anyone Know How To Do This
How do you know it's the ignition switch, could just as likely be a faulty starter solenoid.

David lewis
01-11-2008, 16:43
HI, Can anybody help? Have a ford galaxy 2.8 v6 auto. 1997. Have had a misfiring problem, gone into limp mode. Have replaced Coil ,leads and plugs, perfect for 2 days but has gone back to misfire on cylinders 1 and 6. Starts first turn of key but runs like a tank. Any ideas? Regards Dave

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

HI, Anyone help? Have a Ford Galaxy 2.8 v6 1997. I have had a recent problem, car seemed to go into limp mode? Relaced Leads ,plugs and finally coil, car perfect for 2 days and then went back to misfiring. Missing on cylinders 1 and 6 no spark at all on these two , anyone help? Regards Dave

wigro
02-11-2008, 00:39
:welcome::welcome:

Try the link in Osems post prob your best bet .

palser
28-01-2010, 11:30
my galaxy has also had probs starting and garage seem to think its an immobiliser problem, I'm not so sure. had probs starting for about a month most days 1st time others not at all, plenty of battery but doesnt seem to catch/ignite. got it serviced to see if that sorted it worked for a week then not 1 afternoon after a short run. then after 300 mile round trip it coughed and spluttered 10 miles from home then cut out completely, started again 2 mins later and got me 300yards from home occassionaly coughin and spluttering again then cuts out wont start and hasnt since. Garage say its showing no electrical faults on their machine and its probably an immobiliser problem. Is this possible/probable. If it is they are telling me its either the wiring or the key 50/50 and which do i want looked at 1st as they both will cost??

Graham M
28-01-2010, 11:48
Wow! Zombie Thread, your best bet really is http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/threads.htm?f=4

Terence123
08-03-2010, 17:12
i have a ford galaxy auto 2.3 .i have no alarm no central locking and i keep loseing spark.can you help me.every thing else workes thank you

trickie
27-09-2012, 23:40
i have a problem with my galaxy 2.3i petrol think its immobliser. at 1st it was an intermitten fault . put the key in ignition n doors would flash it would turn over but not connect. so shut doors locked it left for five mins n go back to it and it would start 1st time. but now it wont start at all. dont no if it is key chip or actual immobiliser . when i use to have problems before i take it to the garage nand they would keep it a couple of days and find nothing wrong