PDA

View Full Version : New BB connection fails

basa
09-11-2005, 09:57
An acquaintance has Win XP Home on a box from Tiny (dunno the exact specs .. but it's irrelevant anyway).

Basically it came with Supanet dial up installed and enabled and they used this for around 12 months with no problems.

They elected to go for ntl BB as they were already using ntl digi TV.

The ntl engineer installed a splitter close to the STB downstairs, ran the co-ax outside upstairs to an ntl SACM with ethernet to their PC.

The ethernet adapter will not 'refresh' its IP, it retains the one assigned by XP's autoconfig.

I have adjusted the Internet Connection to read "never dial a connection" and ensured all the correct boxes in Networking are selected with DHCP enabled. All the lights on the SACM are flashing (except 'send' which does not light and 'power' and 'ready' which are steady) and the NIC on the PC flashes happily.

I am satisfied the PC and SACM are 'talking' and pinging 127.0.0.1 gives a satisfactory result. ntl say they can 'see' the SACM and went through the usual routine of refreshing the 'winsock' using the 'netsh' commands.

Obviously I cannot get to start.ntl to register this connection without a DHCP assigned IP.

I have completely removed all references to the Supanet dial up software and uninstalled / installed both the adapter and 'Client for MS Networks' and run the 'WinsockXPfix' TCP/IP and Winsock refresh utility to no avail.

They have no Win XP disc only a 'Reload' CD from Tiny.

Any ideas ?

Paul
09-11-2005, 10:06
Do they have the XP firewall running, blocking dhcp traffic to the CM ?

basa
09-11-2005, 10:10
Do they have the XP firewall running, blocking dhcp traffic to the CM ?

Sorry, should have added .. I installed Sygate FW and disabled both it and XP's Firewall (and Kapersky AV).

MovedGoalPosts
09-11-2005, 11:02
pinging 127.0.0.1 is just pinging the network loopback adaptor on the PC your pinging from. What would that achieve :confused:

basa
09-11-2005, 12:34
pinging 127.0.0.1 is just pinging the network loopback adaptor on the PC your pinging from. What would that achieve :confused:

Proves the TCP/IP network settings and that adapter is working :rolleyes:

MovedGoalPosts
09-11-2005, 12:41
You won't need to go to Start:ntl on a cable modem. That only applies to STBs.

Try looking at the duplex settings of the NIC. If they are on auto, try setting to say 10mBit half duplex.

basa
10-11-2005, 10:21
You won't need to go to Start:ntl on a cable modem. That only applies to STBs.

Try looking at the duplex settings of the NIC. If they are on auto, try setting to say 10mBit half duplex.

Appreciate the suggestion but would that prevent the CM obtaining an IP addy ?
The browser reports a DNS error.

Personally I think the SACM or the co-ax is u/s.

Watching the CM carefully the 'send' lights never flicker one jot ? The NIC is definitely talking to the CM, the NIC lights flicker constantly and the CM 'recv' light flickers.

ntl maintain they can 'see' this CM but that does not prove it is a two way comms ... or does it ?

KevAmiga
10-11-2005, 10:35
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=18084

:)

basa
10-11-2005, 11:09
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=18084

:)

The CM always renews to a 192.***.***.*** IP assigned by XPs autoconfiguration utility.

Another vote for the CM or co-ax then ?

BarFly
10-11-2005, 11:42
ok, lets try & sort a few things out here..

if its a SACM ( modem ) then your never going to get to start.ntl in a million years...

pinging 127.0.0.1 wont prove much apart from the Nic is actually there...

Im guessing the Cm is picking up an ip something like 192.168.10/11...

so has been stated above its one of a few things, Co-ax unscrewed, check it just be sure, once more, just in case, make sure its tight...;)

are the Synch & rdy lights on the CM both solid, if not either network fault, or CM buggered, either way you wont be fixing it, you need to call Tech support ( 0845 650 0121 )

basically if the coax is screwed in properly, you havent got a network set up or specified the 192 ip, its pretty much going to be CM/Network side of things, so give tech support a ring again, & just say your picking up the 192ip off the Cm, they should ( Crosses fingers ) recognise this issue & book an engineer for you.....

Regards

Barfly

basa
10-11-2005, 13:35
ok, lets try & sort a few things out here..

if its a SACM ( modem ) then your never going to get to start.ntl in a million years...
Yeh, bit of an oops on my part. What should happen ?

pinging 127.0.0.1 wont prove much apart from the Nic is actually there... .... and working.

Im guessing the Cm is picking up an ip something like 192.168.10/11...
Something beginning 192.** can't remeber the rest ! :dozey:

so has been stated above its one of a few things, Co-ax unscrewed, check it just be sure, once more, just in case, make sure its tight...;) checked several times, but can't guarantee there isn't some discontinuity somewhere. Tried the TV cable in the splitter outlet for the CM to prove the splitter is OK.

are the Synch & rdy lights on the CM both solid, if not either network fault, or CM buggered, either way you wont be fixing it, you need to call Tech support ( 0845 650 0121 ) Yes

basically if the coax is screwed in properly, you havent got a network set up or specified the 192 ip, its pretty much going to be CM/Network side of things, so give tech support a ring again, & just say your picking up the 192ip off the Cm, they should ( Crosses fingers ) recognise this issue & book an engineer for you.....

Me and my mate have called tech support twice and he is now going to reinstall his OS !!!! (As suggested by ntl tech, who reckons it's XP's fault !!! .. muppets !!!). I feel for him when even that doesn't work :erm:

Regards

Barfly Thanks for the input .. if he gets back to me I'll explain what has been suggested.

BarFly
10-11-2005, 13:44
Yeh, bit of an oops on my part. What should happen ?.

it should pick up a valid ip ending +248 eg... 80.1.36.251ip

once there go to http://80.5.178.26 (http://80.5.178.26/) & follow the on screen registeration..friend will require pin no.

Me and my mate have called tech support twice and he is now going to reinstall his OS !!!! (As suggested by ntl tech, who reckons it's XP's fault !!! .. muppets !!!). I feel for him when even that doesn't work :erm:

Carefull, i might be one of those "muppets" ...;)

Regards

Barfly

KevAmiga
10-11-2005, 18:05
The CM always renews to a 192.***.***.*** IP assigned by XPs autoconfiguration utility.

Um no.... 192.xxx.xxx.xxx isnt an APIPA... thats 169.254.xxx.xxx

If your getting 169.254.xxx.xxx with the coax in but 192.168.xxx.xxx with the coax out, then its NTL's problem (no IP coming from DHCP server / kaput modem).

Stu038
10-11-2005, 19:07
I seem to remember a similar thread some time back but I can't find it now :(

I can't remember the specifics but .......iirc the Tiny/Supanet installation proved virtually impossible to remove.

The end solution (suggested by Tiny iirc) was to physically remove the modem and a new XP install, don't use the restore/reload disk though as that just reloads all the Supanet rubbish.