PDA

View Full Version : error no 0X800CCC0D on dial-up

meself
25-06-2003, 13:46
Hi Iâ₠™m asking help for my friend who suddenly cannot connect via his dial-up modem.

He keeps getting error message 11001ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦Ã ’¢â‚¬Ã €šÃ‚¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â₠¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦Ã ¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚à ¦..error no 0X800CCC0D
and that †œpop.ntlworld.comÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â could not be found.

Iâ₠™ve checked all his settings and they appear to be ok.

His connection went up the creek the other night after he downloaded some Microsoft updatesââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚¦Ã¢Ã ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚Â¦à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬à ‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠬šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦Ãƒà ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à ‚¦.donââ ¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t ask which ones, as he canââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t remember ..whether this is totally coincidental or not we donââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t know.:shrug:

Andy ideas

meself
25-06-2003, 14:13
Hi Andre, thanks for your reply

Should have explained he canââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t connect to either and itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s been that way with the same error message for a week now.

Iâ₠™ve done the usual uninstall thing and started afresh and even tried a complete new connection with manual settings and getting rid of Gearbox, without any luck

My emails fine at the mo or is that because Iâ₠™m on BB

imback
25-06-2003, 14:25
Is he able to connect to the internet though, as in IE ?

meself
25-06-2003, 15:05
AndreÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦thank s for the link. Iâ₠™m not sure if he uses Norton as I know Iâ₠™ve seen a AVG scan on his system but Iâ₠™ll check.

ImbackÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦.no he canââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t connect through IE eitherÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦Ã ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã ‚¦Ã¢ââ⠬šÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à ¦I canââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t remember what the error message said but again Iâ₠™ll check

Cheers

Mick The Gwailo
25-06-2003, 21:52
If it's WindowsXP I've read eleswhere downloading Microsoft's "Updates" CAN screw up various things .... not sure about Connections though .... though presumably a 'System Restore' would get the connection settings back, THEN you can decide whether you really need that 'Update' ?!? after all .... give it the http://www.imahosting.com/sigs/mtof.gif :D

meself
28-06-2003, 13:46
Update

I have reformatted my friends system and all that is on there is W98 and the necessary driversââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚¦Ã¢Ã ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚Â¦à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬à ‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â⠬šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦Ãƒà ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚à ‚¦..nothing else.

He can connect via IE ok but not Outlook Express and he gets the same error message as before:-

†œerror message 11001ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦Ã ’¢â‚¬Ã €šÃ‚¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â₠¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦Ã ¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚à ¦..error no 0X800CCC0D
and that †œpop.ntlworld.comÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â could not be found.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â

Puzzleling :shrug:

Steve H
28-06-2003, 13:58
Originally posted by meself
He can connect via IE ok but not Outlook Express and he gets the same error message as before:-

†œerror message 11001ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦Ã ’¢â‚¬Ã €šÃ‚¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â₠¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦Ã ¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚à ¦..error no 0X800CCC0D
and that †œpop.ntlworld.comÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â could not be found.ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â

Puzzleling :shrug:

Thats just because NTL emails down at the moment.

(and for the forseeable future ;))

ntlrebel
28-06-2003, 13:59
Hi

You'll have to delete the account then put it back in.

To do this click onto Tools>accounts>mail - remove.

1) Open Outlook Express and click on 'Tools' > 'Accounts'.
2) Click on 'Add' > 'Mail' and follow the instructions onscreen, using the 'I already have an email address that I'd like to use' option.
3) You will need the following information:

Incoming (POP3) Mail Server: pop.ntlworld.com
Outgoing (SMTP) Mail Server): smtp.ntlworld.com
The servers do not use SPA (Secure Password Authentication).

4) Click on †˜Toolsâà ¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€ŠÂ¢ > †˜Accounts⠃¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€ žÂ¢.
5) Select your Ntlworld account and †˜Propertiesà€ââ₠¬Å¾Ã‚¢.
6) Select the †˜Connection Tabââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢. Make sure †˜Always connect to this account usingÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ is ticked and your ntlworld connection is selected.
7) Choose †˜Applyâà ¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€ŠÂ¢ > †˜OkÃ¢à‚¬â„à ‚¢ and close the internet accounts.

Hope this helps.

:p

ntlrebel
28-06-2003, 14:06
Originally posted by Steve_NTL
Thats just because NTL emails down at the moment.

(and for the forseeable future ;))

Mail servers should now be ok.:p
If you are still haveing problems I suggest you do what I've posted above, first, before calling tech support.:p

meself
28-06-2003, 20:21
Hi ntlrebel

To be frank I can virtually input those settings with my eyes closed Iâ₠™ve done it so many timesÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦:D †¦âââ €šÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã†Â¦.well perhaps a slight exaggeration but formatting the hard drive was my last resort as I was completely out of ideaââ‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s (not very hard really) and even a manual connection without gearbox got the same error message.

So I thought format and start afresh.....:smokin: .... but to no avail :shrug:

obvious
28-06-2003, 21:31
could always try imap.ntlworld.com

meself
29-06-2003, 22:47
Just thought Iâ₠™d post back to say we did yet another complete uninstall and re-installââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚¦:rolleyes: †¦âââ €šÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã†Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€ŠÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦ †¦.and it workedÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦:shrug: †¦âââ €šÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã†Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€ŠÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã¢à ƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦ ..my head:spin: :spin: :spin:

Thanks to all for your helpââ‚ ¬Ã‚¦Ã¢â Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¦ÃƒÆ ’¢â‚¬Ã⠀šÃ‚¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â₠šÂ¬Ã‚¦Ã ¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚ ¦.much appreciated:wavey:

Cheers

:smokin:

artpuhn
03-06-2005, 05:33
mY E-MAIL HAS BEEN WORKING OVER 1 YEAR AND NOW i'M GETTING THIS ERROR MESSAGE. mY INTERNET CONNECTION IS GOOD, NO SETTINGS CHANGED, ANY IDEAS?

simbr
03-06-2005, 15:37
Are you using Outlook or Outlook Express?
0D is the 'cannot find server' errror. What server are you trying to connect to? Do you have any firewall or antivirus software?

BTW.. why dig up up a topic in the phone/dialup forum that's years old rather than starting a new one in the web/email forum? And your caps lock key is on.

artpuhn
03-06-2005, 20:34
I am using outlook and have my hotmail account set up on it. I get my regular e-mail accounts, but when it tries to connect to the hotmail account it get this error message (0x800ccc0d can not locate server). I then have to get my hotmail thru internet explorer. Any ideas

homealone
03-06-2005, 20:44
I am using outlook and have my hotmail account set up on it. I get my regular e-mail accounts, but when it tries to connect to the hotmail account it get this error message (0x800ccc0d can not locate server). I then have to get my hotmail thru internet explorer. Any ideas

you could try setting up pop3 access to Hotmail again, but as far as I know Microsoft are gradually removing the facility - it is certainly no longer available for new accounts.

Eventually only the paid for accounts will have pop3 access...

Paul K
03-06-2005, 20:57
As long as he hasn't formatted his pc the file needed to allow hotmail to give POP access (while it's still available) will still be there so POP access will work again once the connection is working properly again.
I take it that the original poster (artphun?) has tried to re-create the account through outlook with all the correct details?
What mail account settings are being used for hotmail in Outlook?

simbr
04-06-2005, 04:16
I used to access hotmail through Outlook Express and it used HTTP (WebDAV) rather than POP3.

Paul K
04-06-2005, 08:59
Yes it's HTTP access via OE or Outlook but people call it POP access by mistake now and then, Hotmail uses HTTP where other email accounts would specify a POP address in the settings.
Until we know what settings have been specified by the poster we won't actually know what might be wrong.